Feeling burned out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoexile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says. Im a PGY-2 at the end of year 2 of my residency. Pretty much, I feel underappreciated or undervalued for what I do. I've started several research projects but I have no motivation to finish any of them. And I dont have any family around. I feel picked on and belittled all the time in the residency. I dont know how much more of this I can take.

My only motivation to go to work right now is to just survive.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. It can be especially difficult with no family close by.

Which field are you in? Do you have any close friends in your program you could talk to, and have you reached out to your PD?

Have you sought out any sort of counseling? While residency is tough and can be especially brutal in some fields, it's important to make sure that you seek out help if you need it. Feel free to PM me too.

I think putting the research projects on the back burner for now is totally fine.

Pretty much what the title says. Im a PGY-2 at the end of year 2 of my residency. Pretty much, I feel underappreciated or undervalued for what I do. I've started several research projects but I have no motivation to finish any of them. And I dont have any family around. I feel picked on and belittled all the time in the residency. I dont know how much more of this I can take.

Based on your profile, you are in IM. You just have one more year of training to do. What are your plans afterwards? If you aren't looking at fellowships, then unless your program requires these research projects, I probably wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Yeah, residency isn't fun, but the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

Reactions: 3 users
Based on your profile, you are in IM. You just have one more year of training to do. What are your plans afterwards? If you aren't looking at fellowships, then unless your program requires these research projects, I probably wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Yeah, residency isn't fun, but the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

I want to do hem/onc. Don't get me wrong though. I impress myself everyday. Never thought I would save someone from a heart attack, perforation, PE or catch a pneumothorax. Treating sepsis of all kinds is cool too. Hell, sometimes doing something as simple as giving liquids to treat a tachycardia brings a smile to my face.

Just that, I dont feel like there is really anyone that understands this. I feel like the negatives are looked at far more than the positives and I get that that's to help me improve. But if the negatives are looked at all the time, then I get burned out and my motivation dies.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to do hem/onc. Don't get me wrong though. I impress myself everyday. Never thought I would save someone from a heart attack, perforation, PE or catch a pneumothorax. Treating sepsis of all kinds is cool too. Hell, sometimes doing something as simple as giving liquids to treat a tachycardia brings a smile to my face.

Just that, I dont feel like there is really anyone that understands this. I feel like the negatives are looked at far more than the positives and I get that that's to help me improve. But if the negatives are looked at all the time, then I get burned out and my motivation dies.

Residency sucks. Sounds like you will get through. Forget about all the details and focus on survival with your sanity intact.

Reactions: 2 users
Residency sucks. Sounds like you will get through. Forget about all the details and focus on survival with your sanity intact.

Tell me how to keep going. How to finish my research and how to not cry while doing what i'm supposed to be doing.

Tell me how to keep going. How to finish my research and how to not cry while doing what i'm supposed to be doing.

All I can say is remember that the goal is to get through residency, to finish, and to preserve your sanity. Everything else is secondary. It sounds like you are at a low point. I would stop doing anything that is not related to completing your residency and use the time you free up to focus on activities that might improve your mood. Good luck. It is difficult for high achievers to say "no" to projects that might damage their mental health, their marriages, and their family life but it is an important to be able to say "no" or "no more."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I thought the OP's name was familiar. That person dug up a 9.5 year old post of mine to give it a "dislike", where I described my perception about "malignant programs". I stated that the malignancy was a personal perception, and that I'd seen people where I did residency, at a traditionally "malignant" place, who were no worse for the wear, because one person's malignant is another's challenge. Apparently, the OP didn't like that (literally).

Given that you are in IM, is it the fear, conditions, and stress related to COVID-19 that has led to the tipping point or is it more general residency issues? I'm only a rising M3, so different perspective, but these stressful years do seem to blow by pretty quickly (although who knows what to suspect this coming academic year). If you are at the end of PGY2 and you have a plan for what you want to do (fellowship), then you should be able to see the light pretty soon. Given that you seem burned out now, I was thinking it may be related to COVID-19, which is a different type of stress.

All I can say is remember that the goal is to get through residency, to finish, and to preserve your sanity. Everything else is secondary. It sounds like you are at a low point. I would stop doing anything that is not related to completing your residency and use the time you free up to focus on activities that might improve your mood. Good luck. It is difficult for high achievers to say "no" to projects that might damage their mental health, their marriages, and their family life but it is an important to be able to say "no" or "no more."

Just focus on getting through residency. Kk. I guess at least its a simple thing to focus on.

Just focus on getting through residency. Kk. I guess at least its a simple thing to focus on.

Yup :) Once you are through, you are an attending! You can take a year and work as a hospitalist. You can pursue your fellowship. You can complete your research. You can work in primary care. You can pay off your loans and bail out of medicine. You can work locums and travel the world. You can work part time. Just thinking about all the options might make you feel better.

IM PY2 here as well. Keep your eyes on the prize. What keep me going is getting these job offers in my inbox every day.

Last edited:

I hate to say this, but this is residency, especially in an inpatient heavy program. It sucks. You're not doing anything wrong, except maybe that rather than spend the non-required time relaxing or doing something you enjoy, you're doing research you don't care about.

I agree with others that counseling may be helpful, if only to vent and decompress, not necessarily to "fix" something. Nothing is broken. The thing that needs to be solved in completing residency, and you'll get there.

Having family and friends to decompress with is helpful, and not having them can make it hard to remember your goals and motivation for doing something. One thing I've always focused on that has gotten me through is making small goals. You just need to get through this week, this block, this year. You can do anything for a week or a month. In 14 mos you're gonna be done. You can do this.

Another thing that I like to do is look ahead, think about the type of job you want, the type of house you want, the state you want to live in. Making some of those plans (regardless of whether they change), can sometimes help feeling that drive. Having something specific to visualize or focus on in the future might be a motivator. Just don't make it too specific, because it will change.

This. Find things you enjoy and do that instead of the research.

Funny enough that now I have 2 posters that won research awards, a big COVID study and like 3 case reports im working on. And now the PD is like my best friend LOL

Got 2 good evals in the ICU too. I guess the lesson here is keep going even if you think it's all going to hell. XD

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Funny enough that now I have 2 posters that won research awards, a big COVID study and like 3 case reports im working on. And now the PD is like my best friend LOL

Got 2 good evals in the ICU too. I guess the lesson here is keep going even if you think it's all going to hell. XD

There was an attending in my program who had a rep for being kind of a prick to residents he worked with. Big name in the field, well-respected, but has a bit of an abrasive personality for good and ill. I had a night float week with him as the on call attending PG2 and didn't think much of it until I randomly had him on the phone a week later and he "Oh, by the way, L, you did really good work on nightfloat last week." That was a huge turning point for me that started to make it all feel like it was worth it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users