feeling discouraged from a rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnz2

Reaction score
I dont even know if this thread will make any sense or have any sort of question, but I just got rejected from MWU-IL and am feeling really discouraged and nervous if I will get in this cycle - any idea how to deal with rejection and bounce back?

Members don't see this ad.

don't take it personally and trust the process.. You'll probably get more rejections than acceptances and that's the reality (for the majority of applicants).

Reactions: 5 users
don't take it personally and trust the process.. You'll probably get more rejections than acceptances and that's the reality (for the majority of applicants).
thats very true, it is the reality of the situation. Thanks for the reply

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont even know if this thread will make any sense or have any sort of question, but I just got rejected from MWU-IL and am feeling really discouraged and nervous if I will get in this cycle - any idea how to deal with rejection and bounce back?
get used to it
you will need to deal with things like this in dental school and in practice...

Is it your top school? If you apply wisely and broadly, then you should be good

Reactions: 1 user
The first two cycles I applied, I got rejected from all the schools I applied to (9 each year) and the third time I applied I got rejected to 8 out of those 9. The one school that did accept me happened to be my top choice school. Don’t give up. Just keep pushing on and you will find your way. If dentistry is what you want, just keep on working for it.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
The first two cycles I applied, I got rejected from all the schools I applied to (9 each year) and the third time I applied I got rejected to 8 out of those 9. The one school that did accept me happened to be my top choice school. Don’t give up. Just keep pushing on and you will find your way. If dentistry is what you want, just keep on working for it.
This is crazy motivating, thank you for sharing this! That was some amazing persistence on your part and I'm glad you were rewarded with your top choice.

Rejected from 12 schools first cycle. Now am a D3 at my state school. Resilience is very important, if you have it during the application process and you can use rejection as a tool to figure out how to improve instead of feel sorry for yourself, you will be at an advantage in dental school where things dont always go your way and you constantly have to adapt and be better

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If you plan on being a dentist, you’ll face a lot more rejection than this. You are going into a very competitive career in healthcare. rejection comes with the territory, all you can do is learn from it and move forward. There’s still lots of time to hear from other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I probably have over 25-30 rejections between two cycles. When you get in, you'll be in the same class as people who had 10 acceptances and people who had 1.

It doesnt matter, you just need one acceptance, good luck!

Rejection flat out sucks and it’s okay to be upset about it.. but with time you’ll come to accept it and look at the positives. If you don’t get in at all this cycle just take some time to yourself and see where you could improve your application. With how competitive dental school is now it is more common to have to reapply. Take some time and maybe explore other career paths/hobbies (I got a business master’s degree) or if you’re sure if dentistry is what you want to do, work on getting more experience. Become a dental assistant to get some experience and make some money. Also look for educational enrichment - I found some dental courses on Coursera to learn more about dentistry and I put that on my application. If dentistry is what you really want to do, just try to improve and reapply. Schools will want to see someone passionate about the career and reapplying shows that you don’t give up easily. The rejection sucks at first but I promise it gets better!!

Reactions: 2 users