Feeling discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Everyone knows that becoming a physician is a long and difficult process. I'm at the point where I feel 4 more years would be too much and getting in is difficul enough. Sometimes I feel like just doing a masters in PA. Idk what's wrong, I want to continue on with my dream but sometimes keeps coming up.

Any words of encouragement?

Members don't see this ad.

If you did PA, and the day of your "maybe" med school grad came upon you, how would you feel? Like you should have just pushed thru the blah days? Or that being a PA was exactly what you wanted? Where do you want your life to go? Why do you want to be a Doc? Would PA satisfy that want? Only you can answer these questions. But remember, time flys by, whether you are doing what you love or just doing. If this is your passion, then stick to it! 4 years is nothing in the scheme of life.

Best piece of advice for any struggle in life: Never give up on your dream. EVER.

If you want something bad enough, another 4 years is just a drop in the pond compared to how long it actually takes to become an experienced and respected practicing physician, it's a small corner of life in general. You may be at the end of your rope, and that shows that you know your limits, but you shouldn't settle for a Masters' Degree if you know that being a physician is your true calling. Would you be wholly satisfied as a PA? It's a very good career and in no way am I trying to denounce the position, because the allied health careers are booming and fulfill many dreams that some have, but will it fulfill YOURS? You have to answer that question, and when you do, you will know.

I wish you the very best. Be strong. Be confident. Be relentless.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
Everyone knows that becoming a physician is a long and difficult process. I'm at the point where I feel 4 more years would be too much and getting in is difficul enough. Sometimes I feel like just doing a masters in PA. Idk what's wrong, I want to continue on with my dream but sometimes keeps coming up.
4 years is "too much"?! It won't take ONLY 4 years to become a doctor.

Thanks guys, this was really the boost I needed :D.

Regarding the 4 years part I was referring to physically going to school and studying every night for exam. I wasn't counting residency.

I don't know for some reason I just get a empty feeling, I guess it's true all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

I went back and forth for a long time between med school and PA. Whenever I would look at my friends; who have graduated with their masters, have nice houses and cars, have lots of toys; I would start thinking "I'll just do PA, graduate in a few years and make a decent living". But then when I ignored material things and really thought about what I wanted to do, I would always go back to being a doctor. There were a couple times I had convinced myself I was going to do PA, but I just would always have that nagging feeling I would regret that decision. After going back and forth several times, I haven't even considered PA for the last year. I know that I would regret doing anything but going to med school. But on the other hand, I know lots of PAs who are very happy with their decision. That is what they wanted to do and they don't feel like they "settled". You just have to decide what is best for you.

I'm with Jnorman on this one. While I was trying to get into med school, PA looked like a great alternative, but in the end I wanted the autonomy of being a physician. Its really whatever you want to get out of it. PA is a great profession and if you are comfortable working underneath a physician then it might be a great choice. The flexibility of being a PA is nice as well. But if you would prefer having a higher level or responsibility and the autonomy to do your own procedures, then stick with the medical school path. Put in the time and the rewards will be worth it.

....Regarding the 4 years part I was referring to physically going to school and studying every night for exam. I wasn't counting residency....

Not to burst your bubble, but residency includes studying every night and you still have exams to worry about. Only, you'll be working for 70 to 80 hours a week and studying when you are done. You will not just have step three, you will also have in-servce exams each year of residency. You will have to take an exam for board certification and spend time studying for CME every year as an attending. In most specialties you will also have re-take a board exam every so many years to maintian certification. You will likely be reading and studying continually for the rest of your life. Medicine is not static; it continually evolves, and you have to stay on top of it.

Hey guys,

I initially chose PT instead of medicine for this exact reason. Now I will be starting medical school in the fall, after doing 3 years of PT school and 4 years of practice. Do not let the time commitment intimidate you. You will regret it. Let other reasons deter you, but not concerns over time commitment.