Medical Feeling disheartened - How can I improve my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this post finds you, the reader, well. I am a Senior at a T20 undergraduate school, who finds himself confused as to what went wrong.

About me:
ORM (Sikh, so maybe some diversity there), US Citizen, North-easterner

Stats:
3.84 with an upward trend, 516 MCAT (1 test taken)

Fluff Bits:
Omicron Delta Kappa, Dean's List

ECs:
Shadowing:
280 hours of shadowing doctors of multiple specialties through an internship, 30+ shadowing a CT surgeon (who also wrote me a letter of rec)
Clinical Volunteering:
Well over 1000 hours of EMS-First responder work as an Advanced EMT
Frequent Contributor to Cancer Outreach website that helps newly diagnosed patients understand their illness
Teaching Experience:
TA'ed for Cancer Biology, Biology for Non-science Majors, Cell Biology
Served as Mentor for Collegiate EMS (TA'ed the class after me, working closely with the instructor to help train new providers in a lecture environment)
Leadership:
Served as Publicity/Outreach Chair for a club trying to provide incoming students pre-medical opportunities (shadowing, volunteering, physician panels etc)
Currently serving as Division Chief of Operations for my collegiate EMS (in charge of equipment, maintenance of vehicles, provider conflicts, and overall leadership of the agency. Second in command)
Currently serving as a Field Training Officer for my collegiate EMS (helping new providers learn the ropes during actual 911 calls, complete skills/check-offs before they are released to be fully-fledged, independent providers for the agency)
Research:
Part of Melanoma lab. Recently published with a Nature Partner Journal (not 1st or 2nd author).

My Common Thread/ Angle:
Cancer: Always science-minded, but father was diagnosed in Freshman year. Learned a lot about healthcare while he was being treated, made me want to want to pursue medicine, so I could give back and kinda pass the torch on to the next generation. His diagnosis really changed my life, started pursuing shadowing opportunitites to learn more about medicine, joined melanoma lab, started working for the cancer-outreach website, took a near graduate level class as a sophomore to understand the disease, served as the TA for that class the year after.

This Cycle:
Submitted Primary: 2nd week of June
Finished Submitting Secondaries: First week of Sept.
Interviews: 1 @ Rutgers RWJ
Holds: 3 (1 @ NYMC, 1 @ SUNY Upstate, 1 @ U of Rochester)
Rejections: 1 @ U Pitt

My question:
I am not the world's greatest candidate, that I will admit. However, I'd like to think I am not the worst. I applied to schools that were just above or just below my MCAT/GPA. I am finding myself incredibly disheartened (although I am aware, schools don't owe me anything) at the way this cycle has turned out. Again, I am thankful for the one interview I did get, but I can't help but wonder what went wrong. My pre-med advisor keeps telling me to wait (he is not wrong here), but I fear that if I wait too long I'll be caught unawares and be forced to scramble to improve my app for next cycle. I am sure there isn't a right answer for why this cycle has not gone how I thought it might, but any sort of direction for improvement or critiques would be welcome. Should you require, I can provide my P.S. and some of my secondary essays.
How many schools total did you apply to (we see the responding schools), and how much networking did you do with the schools before you started your application in the summer? Any committee evaluation letters from your university, or else who were your references?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Sihks are ORM in Medicine.

Shadowing:
280 hours of shadowing doctors of multiple specialties through an internship, 30+ shadowing a CT surgeon (who also wrote me a letter of rec)

280 hrs is overkill

Clinical Volunteering:
Frequent Contributor to Cancer Outreach website that helps newly diagnosed patients understand their illness

Fine

Research:
Part of Melanoma lab. Recently published with a Nature Partner Journal (not 1st or 2nd author).

Also fine

My Common Thread/ Angle:
Cancer: Always science-minded, but father was diagnosed in Freshman year. Learned a lot about healthcare while he was being treated, made me want to want to pursue medicine, so I could give back and kinda pass the torch on to the next generation. His diagnosis really changed my life, started pursuing shadowing opportunitites to learn more about medicine, joined melanoma lab, started working for the cancer-outreach website, took a near graduate level class as a sophomore to understand the disease, served as the TA for that class the year after.

You have no non-clinical volunteering. You need to show off your altruism.

Your app may have been too research focused and not Medicine-focused.

This Cycle:

IF your are not a NJ resident, Rutgers was a donation. NYMC likely resource protected you. Pitt and U Rochester definitely should have been on your list.

My question:
I am not the world's greatest candidate, that I will admit. However, I'd like to think I am not the worst. I applied to schools that were just above or just below my MCAT/GPA. I am finding myself incredibly disheartened (although I am aware, schools don't owe me anything) at the way this cycle has turned out. Again, I am thankful for the one interview I did get, but I can't help but wonder what went wrong. My pre-med advisor keeps telling me to wait (he is not wrong here), but I fear that if I wait too long I'll be caught unawares and be forced to scramble to improve my app for next cycle. I am sure there isn't a right answer for why this cycle has not gone how I thought it might, but any sort of direction for improvement or critiques would be welcome. Should you require, I can provide my P.S. and some of my secondary essays.

You might get an II tomorrow, or in March. But you should be working on your Plan B.

Most applicants get rejected.
20% of them get only one accept.

Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

The wise LizzyM writes: Ditto from LizzyM: If you have more than 300 hours of non-clinical volunteering by the time you apply you will be in the top 25% of applicants with regard to community service (based on what I see). The tip top of the pyramid are those who do a full-time volunteerism during a gap year or two (Peace Corps, City Year, etc).

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Sihks are ORM in Medicine.

Shadowing:

280 hrs is overkill

Clinical Volunteering:

Fine

Research:

Also fine

My Common Thread/ Angle:

You have no non-clinical volunteering. You need to show off your altruism.

Your app may have been too research focused and not Medicine-focused.

This Cycle:

IF your are not a NJ resident, Rutgers was a donation. NYMC likely resource protected you. Pitt and U Rochester definitely should have been on your list.

My question:

You might get an II tomorrow, or in March. But you should be working on your Plan B.

Most applicants get rejected.
20% of them get only one accept.

Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

The wise LizzyM writes: Ditto from LizzyM: If you have more than 300 hours of non-clinical volunteering by the time you apply you will be in the top 25% of applicants with regard to community service (based on what I see). The tip top of the pyramid are those who do a full-time volunteerism during a gap year or two (Peace Corps, City Year, etc).

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.
A variation on my colleague's comments. I'm also guessing your identity as Sikh underlies some opportunities in community service but not sure how you presented them.

As such, I have to ask you why medicine instead of going into cancer research or advocacy? That part you have a corner clearly at stake. But why medicine in general? You're going to spend a lot of time not learning about cancer and doing things that just don't sound or won't be interesting compared to what you have done already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.