Feeling Guilty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetikarabbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, between school, 40 hrs a week at work, and my two toddlers, I've only been able to ride my barrel horse once a week. But I would love to make a run on him next weekend.....should I feel guilty? He is soooo not in shape. would i be a bad horse mommy if a entered the rodeo?

Members don't see this ad.

This probably isnt the best place to be asking this. Talk to your trainer, if you have one. None of us know your horse.
But honestly, in my opinion, if you feel guilty enough to post this, I think you already know the answer.

I don't know that it would be safe to enter, actually; barrel racing is scary enough, even when your horse is in top condition. Since your horse is out of shape it could severely injury itself very easily. I don't think you want to risk your horse's health and safety for a rodeo competition.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you feel guilty enough to post this, I think you already know the answer.

:thumbup:

It is common for a horse to tie up after a long period of little/no consistent exercise if you work them hard without getting them back in shape. My horse had a minor back leg injury and was on stall rest for 60 days and the first day I was able to ride her I lunged her jogging for 15 minutes and cooled her down, and she tied up. It was NOT a fun experience and I hope never to go through that again. So, my answer would be: It would not be an intelligent thing to do.

I think it would be really selfish of you to ask him to compete in an event when he's so out of shape. Not just because he would be exhausted but because he could be injured easily after no consistent work. If you feel guilty, go hop on him this weekend and go for a trail ride or maybe work on some runs on your own.

when you work him, are you doing barrel work? If so, and your expectation at the rodeo is the same level of barrel work, and your going to be part of the excitement, fair enough, as long as your horse is not the type to use the rodeo environment to be hyped up.

If your expectation is to do as well as in the past, or more than you are doing during regular riding, or to be competitive, don't do it to yourself or your horse.

If you want to compete, you might see about leasing your horse on a part time basis to somone else to keep the condition up. We have a lot of folks that work out partial lease arrangements just so their animals stay fit enough when they do have time (weekends, breaks, holidays.)

:thumbup:

It is common for a horse to tie up after a long period of little/no consistent exercise if you work them hard without getting them back in shape. My horse had a minor back leg injury and was on stall rest for 60 days and the first day I was able to ride her I lunged her jogging for 15 minutes and cooled her down, and she tied up. It was NOT a fun experience and I hope never to go through that again. So, my answer would be: It would not be an intelligent thing to do.

Wow, to tie up so easily, is he QH, have you tested him for hypp?

No, I hardly ever work the pattern. When I'm not so busy our typical routine is long trot for 20 min then lope 10 min, then some flexing and rollovers at a walk and trot three times a week. The last month I've only been doing this once a week.

Wow, to tie up so easily, is he QH, have you tested him for hypp?

Just to be clear, because this one drives me nuts, tying up =/= HYPP. While the presentation is similar, the cause is different.

That being said, would you go out and run a 5k after only training once a week for a long period of time? I wouldn't. And I wouldn't ask my horse to do anything similar, either.

Just to be clear, because this one drives me nuts, tying up =/= HYPP. While the presentation is similar, the cause is different. QUOTE]

Sorry, I never personally had to deal with one, thus my knowledge is limited. I've never heard of one showing those symptoms without being hypp +. Is "tying up" also breed specific? What differentiates the two?

Yeah, I kinda knew its better off that I don't bring him, just needed some honest opinions, I think I'll rent the arena down the road and lope through sometime this week. Besides my husband is bringing the stock and he'll need my help sorting and flanking bulls. :/ Not much fun though

Last edited:
Sorry, I never personally had to deal with one, thus my knowledge is limited. I've never heard of one showing those symptoms without being hypp +. Is "tying up" also breed specific? What differentiates the two?

Tying up can happen to any horse. HYPP is genetic and is primarily seen in Quarter Horses, Paints, Appies and crossbreeds of those (due to heavy use of an HYPP positive QH stallion called Impressive). HYPP attacks can occur at any time, regardless of exercise. Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis. "Tying up" is caused by a horse exceeding exercise suitable to it's current fitness level. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/91010.htm

True, but I didn't think that the overfeeding was relevant to this discussion. :) And that link does point out that exercise is a factor in every case, but is often also linked to other factors as well.

True, but I didn't think that the overfeeding was relevant to this discussion. :)

I assumed as much, but I know several people who seriously thought that was the only cause.

Sorry if it sounded nit-picky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tying up used to be called "monday morning disease" because it would occur in work horses after they had a weekend of no work on full grain rations, and went back to work monday morning. They are now finding a genetic component in tying up, but it is very different than HYPP. In an HYPP horse, they will appear perfectly normal after an episode. Horses with azoturia don't.

Had it happen to my horse, a TB, and it was literally the scariest thing ever. The Wiki link has great background info on it.

Yes my horse is a QH and is N/N, not that that has anything to do with trying up. She has no medical conditions/PSSM. She was on stall rest, and hadn't been worked, and I obviously didn't work her back up slowly enough, even though I just jogged her for a few minutes.....which makes my point as to why the OP should not barrel race her horse after having a long time off.

Last edited:
Yeah. Whoever came up with the phrase "healthy as a horse" was either speaking ironically or had never encountered a horse in hir life.

Right? I just laugh and laugh every time I hear that. And then cry a little. (My horses are special ponies.)
Even my vet likes to joke that we should put Duncan in a bubble.

I have to say that this thread has been a learning experience for me, so much horse lingo :). I havn't spent enough time around large animals to know as much as I would like and now I've been given an itch that I have to scratch. Thankies. :D

I have to agree with everyone else, I think it would be unfair to ask your horse to go and exert itself if it was not in the proper condition to do so. Not only are you putting your horse at a higher risk for tying up but also tendon and ligament injuries as well. We all know how easy ponies break:rolleyes:

And then there goes to the point if you as the rider are physically prepared as well.

Right? I just laugh and laugh every time I hear that. And then cry a little. (My horses are special ponies.)
Even my vet likes to joke that we should put Duncan in a bubble.

I once remarked to a trainer friend of mine we should just wrap a horse in bubble wrap and put them in a padded stall. Her response was "Yeah, but then he'd find a way to eat the padding and bubble wrap and colic and die anyways"

Thus the neverending catch 22 of horse ownership.

I have been relatively lucky in that I've experienced very few health issues with my horses. But bless them for their injury prone ways otherwise I would not have a career field to aim for. :D