NEW MEMBER - feeling lost, seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gloworms

manifesting c/o '28
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to SDN and am super excited to have discovered a whole community of people to connect with! I am a 22 year old (23 in a few days!) undergrad gradate with a BS in Animal Science and currently going into year 2 of my gap period after graduating.. I transferred to University after busting my @$$ for 2 years in CC and only got to experience 2 quarters of in-person classes before the pandemic hit. This put a pause on the things I had going on at the time (i.e. zoo internship, SPCA internship, job, in-person classes, etc.). I know many also experienced this, but I am trying to navigate best preparing to apply to vet school while staying motivated and passionate about veterinary medicine. I've been working as a VA at a GP for a year now, but working here is the only veterinary experience I have and I only work with cats! I am hoping to apply to vet school this cycle, but I'm nervous and not sure if I'm ready? I don't want to rush into this, but also not sure if I am pushing it off because I feel unprepared compared to other people. Any advice on how to make a decision and push forward? I know it's a silly and not really sure what exactly I'm asking help for, but I also just found out I'm most on the spectrum for Autism so that has been a lot to take in too. I also realize I have not contributed anything to this platform as of yet so I don't really deserve anyone's input, but I just thought I'd put this out there. OK .. I'm rambling now..

But TLDR: Does anyone have any advice on getting started on the application process? Would it hurt to take another year to prepare? Or am I prepared enough? (I don't think I'll ever feel prepared enough!!) THANK YOU IF YOU READ ALL THIS... I wish everyone nothing but success :hardy::hardy:

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence:
22, NONBINARY, CA/USA

Overall GPA: 3.41
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.24
Last 45 GPA: 3.50

GRE (Q/V/W): Have not taken yet

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science (2021)

Veterinary Experience:
VA at GP ~2,500 hrs
Volunteer as VA for Community Service Club ~9 hrs

Animal Experience:
Wildlife - 18hrs *volunteer*
Marine mammal - ~20hrs
Pet sitter: ~50 hrs
SPCA volunteer ~9 hrs

Research:
Laboratory animals (in-class): ~10 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Community Service Award
Dean's list (spring 2018-2019) at CC

Non-Animal Employment:
restaurant server: 1 yr - not sure how many hours
private tutor: 50 hrs

LORs:
most likely will be from 2-3 DVMS (from same practice)
RVT at same clinic
**is this okay?! - I'm currently looking for more experiences, but it is also hard because I need to make enough money to support myself (I do not live with my parents)

Members don't see this ad.

There is a WAMC (what are my chances section) that would be a better place for your post.

I would suggest looking into getting some Large animal, exotic and or small animal Specialty experiences to diversify your veterinary experience (ie shadowing, part time). Some schools may not count the research experience through class - at least when I applied I did not list this type of research experience since most of the schools I was looking at did not see it as such so another thing to look into for the schools you are applying to.

Make sure that for the schools that you are thinking of applying to that the eLORs you chose work for what the school's require. Every school has different requirements so may be best to ensure you don't need to ask a professor or someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a WAMC (what are my chances section) that would be a better place for your post.

I would suggest looking into getting some Large animal, exotic and or small animal Specialty experiences to diversify your veterinary experience (ie shadowing, part time). Some schools may not count the research experience through class - at least when I applied I did not list this type of research experience since most of the schools I was looking at did not see it as such so another thing to look into for the schools you are applying to.

Make sure that for the schools that you are thinking of applying to that the eLORs you chose work for what the school's require. Every school has different requirements so may be best to ensure you don't need to ask a professor or someone else.
That makes sense. Thank you so much for your advice also will definitely post this in the sub-forum you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.