Feeling horrible after my first interview....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Smexy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my first interview a couple weeks ago and the more I think about it the more I feel like I did a horrible job presenting myself. It was a hybrid interview (traditional interview + MMI). For the traditional interview, I felt like I talked way too much about myself and was letting my excitement took over (i.e., my voice sounds really excited/happy not calm, collected and confident). My traditional interview ran overtime while the interviewer still wanted to ask me some more questions...For the MMI, I forgot to knock on the door before enter and said a couple silly things. It just drive me nuts the more I think about it. Time to come up with a plan for a year off...

Members don't see this ad.

So, I assume you have more interviews since you called this your "first" and not "only" interview. So, if it actually went poorly, try to learn something from this first one!

However, I'll just say that I much prefer interviewing applicants who are talkative and have a little excitement. Of course I like them to answer the questions I pose, but if we have a genuinely good conversation it's much more likely that I'll score them well. So, hopefully your excitement and long interview was because you had lots of good stuff to say and not because you were nervously babbling (yeah, that doesn't usually come off well -- nervous babbling =/= cogent conversation ;))
Otherwise, it's not a big deal to forget to knock on the door for the MMI. And many people stumble over their words or say something silly or back themselves into a corner now and again. It's more about how you come off globally and whether your thought process made sense. So don't worry too much. :)

Reactions: 1 users
So, I assume you have more interviews since you called this your "first" and not "only" interview. So, if it actually went poorly, try to learn something from this first one!

However, I'll just say that I much prefer interviewing applicants who are talkative and have a little excitement. Of course I like them to answer the questions I pose, but if we have a genuinely good conversation it's much more likely that I'll score them well. So, hopefully your excitement and long interview was because you had lots of good stuff to say and not because you were nervously babbling (yeah, that doesn't usually come off well -- nervous babbling =/= cogent conversation ;))
Otherwise, it's not a big deal to forget to knock on the door for the MMI. And many people stumble over their words or say something silly or back themselves into a corner now and again. It's more about how you come off globally and whether your thought process made sense. So don't worry too much. :)
Thanks a lot for the encouragement and I do have more interviews to go :nailbiting:. Yes, it was more of because I was talking about a couple great experiences I had along with my passion for the field and why medicine that just out of nowhere made me talk in a really excited manner. I hope what you say about the MMI will apply in my situation! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the encouragement and I do have more interviews to go :nailbiting:. Yes, it was more of because I was talking about a couple great experiences I had along with my passion for the field and why medicine that just out of nowhere made me talk in a really excited manner. I hope what you say about the MMI will apply in my situation! :)
Better to have a lot say than nothing at all! I'm sure it went better than you expected so I wouldn't worry :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey don't worry - sometimes when you feel like it went poorly, it actually went well...

Here is my advice. Don't think about your interviews. The more you think about them, the more you start nitpicking at irrelevant things your interviewer likely didn't even notice. Adcom say you can't judge your own interviews and I think there is truth to that. I'm also my worst critic so I decided to stop analyzing my interviews and it's been a lot less stressful since :)

Yeah, I've only had one interview, but after coming out of it feeling on top of the world I started doing that same sort of neurotic introspection dissecting every answer, cringing, and then convincing myself the rejection is on its way.

Now I just vigorously shake away those feelings and tell myself there's nothing I can do now.

I thought I did poorly during my first interview. I ran out of things to say, so we talked about the weather for a good five minutes. I also thought I sounded too robotic.

But guess what? That school accepted me yesterday. So sometimes, it's not as bad as you think it is!

I thought I did poorly during my first interview. I ran out of things to say, so we talked about the weather for a good five minutes. I also thought I sounded too robotic.

But guess what? That school accepted me yesterday. So sometimes, it's not as bad as you think it is!

Really hoping my interview works out like this too. It was one of my top choices, and I'm looking back at it now wondering if I sounded robotic, and one of my interviewers said he had no more questions for me after 15 minutes so I started asking him about his research (we were in his lab). Since most people agree that you can't accurately judge your interview, I'm hoping it's just me being self-critical and impatient while looking back on the experience! Guess we'll find out in a few weeks since that school hasn't started giving out acceptances yet. Congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Last edited:
Most people are terrible judges about how they interview. So quit fussing and move on to the next one.

So I had my first interview a couple weeks ago and the more I think about it the more I feel like I did a horrible job presenting myself. It was a hybrid interview (traditional interview + MMI). For the traditional interview, I felt like I talked way too much about myself and was letting my excitement took over (i.e., my voice sounds really excited/happy not calm, collected and confident). My traditional interview ran overtime while the interviewer still wanted to ask me some more questions...For the MMI, I forgot to knock on the door before enter and said a couple silly things. It just drive me nuts the more I think about it. Time to come up with a plan for a year off...

Reactions: 2 users