DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
like the title says... I'm feeling overwhelmed and discouraged.

I've been working toward this for almost ten years now. Which sounds outrageous. I feel like all I've done is accrue red flags and end up further away than ever.

I moved out when I was still in high school (abusive family situation) and got my GED. I have a red flag on my app from around my 18th birthday when I was arressted for something really stupid. I tried and dropped out of two semesters of college. I paused for a little and got my **** together, sort of. I went back to school and did much better. I got a couple of C's but ended with a GPA of 3.5-3.6. But then I took the MCAT when I was going through some family stuff and before I was really ready, and scored really atrociously.

Earlier this year my husband passed away really, really suddenly. Now I'm a single mom and about to move to Ohio with my toddler to be near family. I'm thinking of taking a step back and maybe trying to apply in 2019. After some time with my family, a break, restudying for the MCAT, and establishing residency in Ohio. But idk, I'll be almost 30 by then and I feel like my past is too spotty to get any looks from schools.

I know it probably seems really callous to be thinking about this at this point, but I just like to have a plan and know where I'm going. So, idk. Just thinking out loud to internet strangers and maybe looking for any insight/perspective.

Thanks.

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. While I don't think you should give up and age shouldn't deter you from pursuing your goal, maybe it's not the best time to apply? Medical school is a significant emotional investment, and if you're already short on emotional stability (at no fault of your own), medical school may not bode well for you. I mean all of this in the nicest way possible.

OP
DocMcMommy

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
No, I totally get that and feel the same. I'm not planning on applying this year or even next cycle. But I was thinking about possibly working toward the 2019 cycle. Idk.

About the Ads

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
No, I totally get that and feel the same. I'm not planning on applying this year or even next cycle. But I was thinking about possibly working toward the 2019 cycle. Idk.
Oh okay I missed that detail! Only you know if you'll be ready for that investment. Age shouldn't be the rate limiting factor in your decision!

CJhooper123

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I'm truly sorry to hear about your husband. I can only imagine what you and your family have been through.

Regarding your career in medicine - only you can answer what you really want. Do you want to be a health care provider? Are you only committed to becoming a DO/MD? If your not 100% committed to becoming MD/DO, PA is an excellent option. I know plenty of PA's that decided to go back to school w/ 3/4 kids in their 30's and absolutely love what they are currently doing.

If your determined to become a doc, I understand that too (I share that same drive). Your GPA looks solid... MCAT will need to be 504-505 range. I agree w/ Coltuna... its a huge emotional/physical commitment going to med school, so you will have to decide when you area ready.... But, considering the obstacles you have faced so far, its going to be a hell of a story when you make it happen! Your going to have ups/downs. Never get too high... never get too low. You got this!

Dagrimsta1

Current Representation of MS-3
5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2014
New York
Status
Medical Student
You can definitely still become a doctor, and know that doesn't apply to everyone. But the question remains, is it really worth it? I mean it has nothing to do with age but the fact that you are a single mother will inevitably make it all the more difficult. There is a chance that you will have to relocate for school and to do that with achild is even more difficult. There is another chance that you will obtain a residency after four years of training in a different state as well. There are a bunch of variables that have to be accounted for and if you are willing to encounter them, then go for it and best of luck. I am no way trying to discourage you, will you need to be aware of the facts.

About the Ads