Feeling pretty discouraged...any advice would help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borgy98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Currently I have a cGPA 3.4 and a sGPA 3.3. I know thats not very competitive and my goal is to raise them both above a 3.5. Here are a couple concerns...

In high school I took college calculus and got a F but I retook the class and got a B. How will med school admissions view that factor?

I first went to college in California for 3 semester then moved back home. How does my GPA from the first college I attended affect my recent GPA at my current school. How can I calculate them both together to get a better idea of my overall GPA.

I had to take gen chem over again because the school I transfered to did not accept those credits. I received B's in both my initial class and my retake class. Will this affect how the med school admissions see me because I didn't improve?

Are my chances of getting into med school realistic? Any real and truthful advice would help.Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you took the Calculus through a local CC, you are obliged to send in a transcript. It will be included with your other grades, including the B retake grade.

You will also submit a transcript from the California college. Those grades will be factored in just as if you took them at the same college as the rest of your grades, regardless of how that college figured your GPA, or whether they accepted the grades in transfer.

Bs in chem are fine. All those grades will be factored in.

You can calculate your application GPA the way that AMCAS does it with this
AMCAS GPA calculator: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

If you apply to DO med schools, BTW, they only include the most recent retake, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. Their science GPA does not include math like AMCAS' BCPM GPA does.

Let us know what numbers you get.

You can still do it - just get a high MCAT. It'll get you over the academic "cut-off" bump.

You still have time to improve. Don't get down on yourself. Just figure out what you have to do to get that GPA up and work hard for it. Use the link Cat gave you to calculate your GPA and start planning from there. Figure out how many more units you need and what grades you need to pull the GPA up to a 3.5. A 3.3/3.4 is not that bad. You still have time to fix things. Many have been in your shoes and made it to medical school. You can do it too.