Feeling stuck during gap year, what should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShidaM

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my gap year and I'm feeling stuck as to what I should be doing. I'm currently doing non-clinical volunteering at about 6 hours a week and working as a scribe 25 hours a week. I was initially planning on doing these at least until the app opened, but I feel like it wont be enough. My MCAT is good, but low for the median of my state schools (512, FL). And I didn't get much research done in college, I have one poster presentation at a convention, but no scientific research. I'm considering quitting scribing once I'm around 500 hours and looking for a full time research position.

But overall, I don't feel like I can do anything in 6 months to get my app to the level I want to be at. The only thing I could think of is raising my MCAT. Everyone has said not to retake, but I can't shake the feeling that I should do it. I'm really starting to regret graduating college early and not making the most of the resources I had then.

Am I overreacting? What should I do to best improve my app with the time left?

(I have a school list post from last month with my stats/ECs)

Members don't see this ad.

You need to fill the holes in your app.

Do not apply to med school until you are 100% ready. They're not going anywhere
Thanks for the reply.

What holes are most important / are a priority? I am not thrilled about the idea of waiting another year, so I'd like to spend the time I have now doing whatever is most urgent.
Also, I thought that I was in an alright spot to be ready to apply to some mid/lower tier MDs come June. How do I judge my app to know if I should apply next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

What holes are most important / are a priority? I am not thrilled about the idea of waiting another year, so I'd like to spend the time I have now doing whatever is most urgent.
Also, I thought that I was in an alright spot to be ready to apply to some mid/lower tier MDs come June. How do I judge my app to know if I should apply next cycle?
Well, only you know the answer to that, but you should have the following:
> 150 hrs clinical exposure
> 150 hrs nonclinical volunteering
Your scribing takes care of the former and shadowing

Well, only you know the answer to that, but you should have the following:
> 150 hrs clinical exposure
> 150 hrs nonclinical volunteering
Your scribing takes care of the former and shadowing
I'm almost certain I will have higher numbers than those by June. I guess my question is: is that enough? Maybe this is a consequence of browsing online premed forums, but it feels like 500 clinical hours and 200 volunteer hours don't really get you far. Especially without a stellar MCAT + no science research. Also, I don't know if adcoms will like that most of my hours were done during my gap year with little activity during undergrad (idk if COVID will be a valid reason next cycle?).

I've summarized my worries into "3" questions that I need to answer for myself, but I also would like outside opinions on. Feel free to give your input in any/none of them, it's greatly appreciated.

1. Is research that important to get in? Almost all the schools I look at on MSAR have 90% + of their matriculants in research - it feels like its a 'soft requirement' to get into most schools.
2. Would it be worth getting a research position once I have say 500 clinical hours? Will the few months before my app actually add anything of significance to how my app is seen? Or is leaning into clinical work more favorable.
3. How do I judge wether my app is ready and to what level I should be applying? I feel ready to be in med school myself, I'm actually itching to get back in school, but how do I gauge if I'm in a good position to be accepted.

Bonus question: How does a premed student avoid dying of neuroticism lol

I'm almost certain I will have higher numbers than those by June. I guess my question is: is that enough?
Yes
Maybe this is a consequence of browsing online premed forums, but it feels like 500 clinical hours and 200 volunteer hours don't really get you far.
You have to learn to ignore neurotic pre-meds, who don't know anything about the app process or what Adcoms see (and want to see).
Especially without a stellar MCAT + no science research. Also, I don't know if adcoms will like that most of my hours were done during my gap year with little activity during undergrad (idk if COVID will be a valid reason next cycle?).
You won't be applying to Stanford or the other research who...um, sex workers. So, you don't need research, especially if you have a lot of service to others less fortunate than yurself, and many of the schools you will be targeting, like, Drexel/Albany class schools, are service loving schools. And 512 is a fine score! It's just one point below the national avg for MD acceptees.
I've summarized my worries into "3" questions that I need to answer for myself, but I also would like outside opinions on. Feel free to give your input in any/none of them, it's greatly appreciated.

1. Is research that important to get in? Almost all the schools I look at on MSAR have 90% + of their matriculants in research - it feels like its a 'soft requirement' to get into most schools.
See above. You see so many pre-meds do research simply because pre-meds do research.
2. Would it be worth getting a research position once I have say 500 clinical hours? Will the few months before my app actually add anything of significance to how my app is seen? Or is leaning into clinical work more favorable.
I suggest the latter
3. How do I judge wether my app is ready and to what level I should be applying? I feel ready to be in med school myself, I'm actually itching to get back in school, but how do I gauge if I'm in a good position to be accepted.
You fill out a WAMC template here on SDN and post in that forum.
Bonus question: How does a premed student avoid dying of neuroticism lol
Stay busy and stay OFF or SDN and especially toilet of the Internet, r/premed

Reactions: 2 users
Yes

You have to learn to ignore neurotic pre-meds, who don't know anything about the app process or what Adcoms see (and want to see).

You won't be applying to Stanford or the other research who...um, sex workers. So, you don't need research, especially if you have a lot of service to others less fortunate than yurself, and many of the schools you will be targeting, like, Drexel/Albany class schools, are service loving schools. And 512 is a fine score! It's just one point below the national avg for MD acceptees.

See above. You see so many pre-meds do research simply because pre-meds do research.

I suggest the latter

You fill out a WAMC template here on SDN and post in that forum.

Stay busy and stay OFF or SDN and especially toilet of the Internet, r/premed
Thanks so much for answering! The neuroticism hits hard sometimes and so many questions pop up. I appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Goro. Yes, lots of applicants have research, but outside of the top 10-20 or whatever it's certainly not a necessity. The applicants who impress me most are those with extensive clinical experience and volunteering outside of their comfort zone, far more so than applicants with multiple pubs. So I'd focus on that especially if you already have a little research experience.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users