Feeling unprepared, anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mena3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you taking the DAT at around the time of end of July, really, how prepared do you feel as of today. I'm taking it at the end of July, and I feel like if I wrote it today I wouldn't even break 10's. I know I could be studying a little bit harder (which I plan on doing right after I write this thread) and there is still plenty of time to study, but am I the only one feeling this way? Also, for those of you have written the DAT and did well, is it normal to feel this way 5 weeks before I write the exam, am I supposed to feel prepared as of now?

Members don't see this ad.

Mena3 said:
For those of you taking the DAT at around the time of end of July, really, how prepared do you feel as of today. I'm taking it at the end of July, and I feel like if I wrote it today I wouldn't even break 10's. I know I could be studying a little bit harder (which I plan on doing right after I write this thread) and there is still plenty of time to study, but am I the only one feeling this way? Also, for those of you have written the DAT and did well, is it normal to feel this way 5 weeks before I write the exam, am I supposed to feel prepared as of now?

I feel the same way

Mena3 said:

Don't worry. I felt very unprepared too, even the day before DAT, but mainly it's due to the Kaplan mock test, which is much harder than the real one.
If you have a good test score on topscore, you should sit back and relax a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Profchaos said:
Don't worry. I felt very unprepared too, even the day before DAT, but mainly it's due to the Kaplan mock test, which is much harder than the real one.
If you have a good test score on topscore, you should sit back and relax a little bit.

Which kaplan mock test do you talk of?

Mena3 said:

5 weeks is a lot of time but not a TON. So kick it into overdrive and go for excellence. Aim to take the DAT well and only once :).

KHANSAHAAB said:
Which kaplan mock test do you talk of?

Kaplan online test.
I don't know if they still have it now there.
When I took it, there are a bunch of anatomy questions that I haven't heard of, thus very intimidated.

hmm, i have a week, im tkaing it on the 27th....its umm...going alright

5 weeks is a lot of time for some and next to no time for others. Take me for example. I studied for 4 months 6 hours a day and got a 16 on the DAT. I then studied 6 more months and scored an 18 on it. My point is, everyone's different, with different abilities, therefore timing is totally relative to you.

kew said:
5 weeks is a lot of time for some and next to no time for others. Take me for example. I studied for 4 months 6 hours a day and got a 16 on the DAT. I then studied 6 more months and scored an 18 on it. My point is, everyone's different, with different abilities, therefore timing is totally relative to you.
Very true....but most of all..... don't be scared of the DAT...kaplan is harder than the real DAT....5 weeks is a long time....spend 8 hours a day on the test for the rest of the time....make sure you know everything in the Kaplan book....when you take the test.... never think you bombed it...just keep going and pace yourself....make sure you get a computer that has a new video card or the PAT section will look distorted.....most everyone does not feel prepared

Don't worry just keep a regular schedule of studying. Trust me if I can do well with 3 weeks of hardcore studying anyone can. You just have to focused and lock your self in a room for that time.

Well, being that everyone keeps saying that Kaplan's practice tests are harder than the real thing, here are my scores from today's practice test. Biology 16
Reading Comp 18
QR 13 (Very nervous about this section!)
Pat 17
(Can't include GChem or OChem b/c I accidentally skipped over them, and couldn't go back!)
My test is scheduled for July 11, 21 more days of intense studying. I've also counted that I can take about 10 more full-lengths without killing myself.

Is there still a chance for me to make a 20 on everything!?!

I did start out with (Kaplan Diagnostic):
bio 12
rc 13
qr 12
pat 15

So maybe there's hope.

AUTigers said:
Well, being that everyone keeps saying that Kaplan's practice tests are harder than the real thing, here are my scores from today's practice test. Biology 16
Reading Comp 18
QR 13 (Very nervous about this section!)
Pat 17
(Can't include GChem or OChem b/c I accidentally skipped over them, and couldn't go back!)
My test is scheduled for July 11, 21 more days of intense studying. I've also counted that I can take about 10 more full-lengths without killing myself.

Is there still a chance for me to make a 20 on everything!?!

I did start out with (Kaplan Diagnostic):
bio 12
rc 13
qr 12
pat 15

So maybe there's hope.
I think I've read on these boards before that (with the exception of the PAT) you should add about 2 points on to each section when comparing Kaplan to the real thing...ie your Bio would be 18 and RC 20, etc.

Darby_O'Gill said:
I think I've read on these boards before that (with the exception of the PAT) you should add about 2 points on to each section when comparing Kaplan to the real thing...ie your Bio would be 18 and RC 20, etc.

Oh no, my QR score has got to come up then!