Feeling unsupported in program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diceymice07

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don’t want to get into details too much because I don’t want to reveal the program I am in, but briefly, I am a doctoral student in a clinical psychology program in the US. I have found myself feeling very unsupported by my mentor as well as my program as a whole (e.g., in the past, my mentor not attending a talk I gave at a local conference he was at, etc.), receiving more criticism than praise (this is not just me, but typical for my peers as well). There is also one student in my program that faculty always praises in front of the other students as well.

I am wondering if this is typical for programs in our field or unique for my program? Is it typical to be that unsupported by a mentor and for faculty to just blatantly favor students in front of others?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I don’t want to get into details too much because I don’t want to reveal the program I am in, but briefly, I am a doctoral student in a clinical psychology program in the US. I have found myself feeling very unsupported by my mentor as well as my program as a whole (e.g., in the past, my mentor not attending a talk I gave at a local conference he was at, etc.), receiving more criticism than praise (this is not just me, but typical for my peers as well). There is also one student in my program that faculty always praises in front of the other students as well.

I am wondering if this is typical for programs in our field or unique for my program? Is it typical to be that unsupported by a mentor and for faculty to just blatantly favor students in front of others?

Thanks.

This isn't all that unusual, programs tend to hand a small number of students who are superstars, some who do the bare minimum, and a lot of the in between.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yeah, that happens all the time. You’re not supposed to admit that it happens. Whoever acknowledges it first, loses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah does not sound super unusual. I think for many faculty there can be an expectation for grad students that they will be assertive enough to communicate their professional needs (not personal, self-esteem needs) and have a strong enough ego to be able to receive critical feedback in a constructive way. I would much prefer a mentor who cared enough to give me lots of critical feedback without much positive feedback over a mentor who was checked out or disengaged. My advice would be to get ego needs met elsewhere (e.g., personal life) or from peers, or otherwise communicate directly to your professors or mentor that you are hoping to hear more direct feedback about things you are doing well because you are wanting to make sure to keep your strengths in mind as you continue to develop your professional skills and style.