Should I quit my prestigious research job to study MCAT full time?

Started by Millie245
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Millie245

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am a recent graduate in Biology (cGPA 3.52/sGPA 3.39). Last MCAT score on (6/12-501). I am in a serious quandary about whether or not I should take a leave of absence from my research assistant position and study for the MCAT full time. I have about 1000+ research hours already from the same lab with a strong LOR from PI and 2 posters with no pubs.

Additionally, I have about 700 clinical hours as an EMT with about 200 hours of shadowing and another 500-600 hours as a Teaching assistant in both Organic Chemistry and Biology, and 200 hours as a volunteer at a street clinic.

I find the research itself to be extremely captivating and I have very strong interest in the Lab research aims, though the research is bench work and not clinical.

I have full financial support from my family until January. I was originally planning on working and studying at the same time, as I read on here and other sites that it's entirely possible. However, given my lower GPA and MCAT as well as having the privilege to be able to study full time with no other constraints, I was wondering if it would be more worth it to take a leave of absence and study full time instead of working when I don't necessarily need to.

It's a difficult decision, as the labs research aims directly align with my mission statement, with this position being very difficult to attain, while I was given the position by my PI who also has very favorable view of me. Is it possible to study and work full time? Whats the best decision for me?

Thanks very much everyone.
 
The answer depends on why your MCAT score(s) to date have been less than optimal. If your issue has been insufficient preparation then yes, taking a leave to focus would likely be helpful. If the problem is that you are choking on test day, that's a separate issue that more study time won't necessarily address.

So where do you think you have gone wrong?
 
The last time I wrote the MCAT I was balancing full time course load of difficult upper level biology courses in addition to my role as a TA and an EMT. Originally, I "studied" for 6 months from January to June, with large gaps in ranging a few days to a week in between where I had exams and final exams where I focused on studying for my courses or grading and other commitments, maybe ~<10 hours/week. With the largest push in the last 3 weeks, I did not do a content review and used only UWorld and AAMC official exams.

I'm worried that by taking this commitment, which would be standard 9-5 hours with a 45 minute commute, I could overextend myself leading to a suboptimal retake. The decision here is difficult because I am very passionate about the research with an extremely good relationship with my PI, which I fear I would strain by deferring this opportunity that was given to me.

I've read all over here on SDN and reddit about success stories of people who worked full time while studying. E.g studying a few hours after work and 8 hours on the weekends. The issue is, the people who worked full-time and studied, HAD to whether that's supporting themselves, or their families. I am extremely grateful to have the privilege of a family who's willing to support me financially while I study, I also feel like I should take full advantage of it and maximize my score to its fullest potential. Essentially it's a professional development/passionate interest vs. MCAT + an already weak GPA. Which one do I need to prioritize? Especially since I've had a good history with the lab already. Additionally, how could this resume gap be seen by ADCOM's? Would I just be shooting myself in the foot by splitting myself between the two commitments? Should I just suck it up, and really dedicate myself to both?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like you are fishing for permission to quit your job and focus on the MCAT. You know your situation better than anyone else, and if you feel that having the dedicated time would ensure your best performance then just do it. If you can't get off the fence then consider trying the evening/weekend plan for awhile and see how it goes. Creating a stable, predictable study schedule and sticking to it may allay some of your fears.

A few notes:
1. If you have already studied for the exam once, you aren't starting from scratch. The process of re-consolidating your knowledge base may not take as long as you anticipate.
2. The single biggest mistake people make in prepping for high stakes exams is failing to do practice questions. They will do long periods of passive study and then a few simulated exams. Retrieval practice is a very effective learning tool, be sure to use it in abundance.
3. AMCAS experiences are not complied chronologically, so finding gaps is not something people are going to waste their time on.
 
It should be said that a super high MCAT does not compensate for a less optimal GPA. I also think the value of your prestigious lab experience is overblown (in your mind) if you don't intend to do research as a doctor. Prestigious to whom? The seriousness of this quandary seems to be mental.