Feeling very discouraged...need some honest advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QAtoPA

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone-

so yeah, I'm super discouraged in my current situation. Because of a lot of issues going on in my life for the past years(family,personal) and a medical illness for 2 years my cGPA is between 2.65-2.8 and my sGPA is between 3.1-3.2.

I need 6 classes to finish my undergrad degree and also, I still need to take all of my premed requirements ( 1 yr of bio, chem, ochem and physics) plus some other classes such as biochem, genetics etc.. I was thinking of adding a minor in bio and chem.

Another problem is that I have a lot of W's because of the past situations. It was either get the Ws or my GPA would be at a negative right now.

I don't know guys, I just need honest advice on what I should do, what do you guys advice.... I feel like I won't make it to med school, it doesn't matter if it's MD/DO...

Members don't see this ad.

just make a's from here on out. I managed to pull up my gpa from 2.75 to 3.6 in three semester and as for the W's, if you can explain them you should be fine. I have 10 w's due to Hurricane Katrina, but since I'm applying to in-state they know what kind of damage the storm did and I explained my situation to adcoms and they told me don't worry about it at all, but I know if i was applying elsewhere that thought New Orleans was the only city affected by the storm then I'll be in trouble. Hope that helps.

It is possible, if you are fine with putting in the work. I had a 2.6 after several years of school along with 14 Ws and managed to raise it up enough to get into a DO program. Also, the nice thing about DO programs is they take the more recent grade if you repeat the course. So, you can retake some of those classes you did poorly in and dramatically raise your gpa.

But, I think to be fully prepared it will probably take you two years as it seems like you have chem and ochem to complete and that is two years worth of courses right there. But, on the plus side, you can take some additional classes along with the prereqs to boost your gpa.

I would highly recommend taking some upper level science classes (if you meet the prereqs) along with the premed courses so that you can show you are capable of handling the material.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will definitely be a long, hard road, but if you take enough classes and get your GPA up, I bet you could get into a DO program. Just retake as many low grades as you can as that will bump your GPA up faster for AACOMAS, and then kill the MCAT.

Moving to What are my Chances.

I am in the same boat as you are. I feel so discouraged, like I will never bring my GPA up. My cGPA is a 2.97 right now and my sGPA is a 2.7. I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I still have 4 more semesters to go before I graduate. They are going to be really hard classes. Can anyone help me? I feel so terrible. I know that medicine is what I want to get into. It's the only thing (as far as professions and passions go) that makes me excited and feel like I know something about. I don't care where I go, I just want to get in! I see that DO schools take the most recent grade? I heard that they average the 2 grades out when you retake classes. Which one is true? I actually would prefer a DO school because I like the more naturopathic way. Do I have a chance at getting in at all?

I am in the same boat as you are. I feel so discouraged, like I will never bring my GPA up. My cGPA is a 2.97 right now and my sGPA is a 2.7. I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I still have 4 more semesters to go before I graduate. They are going to be really hard classes. Can anyone help me? I feel so terrible. I know that medicine is what I want to get into. It's the only thing (as far as professions and passions go) that makes me excited and feel like I know something about. I don't care where I go, I just want to get in! I see that DO schools take the most recent grade? I heard that they average the 2 grades out when you retake classes. Which one is true? I actually would prefer a DO school because I like the more naturopathic way. Do I have a chance at getting in at all?

Depends on the school. Many DO schools have grade replacement (as you mentioned before). It is important to research the schools and see which school offers each program.

If medicine is something you really want to do, EVEN NEED to do. Then there will be a place for you. You just have to do the work. I know it doesn't look fun, but trust me. The hardships now will be well worth it later.

I would just like to add that in addition to the "harder" prereq classes. Take some "easier" classes to boost your GPA. Just add one or two a semester. Because classes are classes on the overall GPA. It may take a couple of years but I took 3-4 yrs to turn myself around and build my 4.0 science GPA while working.

DO schools with grade replacements will be the best bet. Your MCAT performance can make a huge difference too!! Just remember you can turn it around with hardwork and alot of A's!!!