Feinberg vs Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feinberg vs Pritzker

• Feinberg (NU)

Votes: 70 61.4%
  • Pritzker (UChi)

Votes: 44 38.6%

• Total voters

toffeenut17

Reaction score
Assuming financial aid is equal, where would you choose to go (and why)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! What's important to you? What are your perceived pros and cons? Maybe those with direct experience can "confirm or deny."

They are the same in terms of reputation/matching prospects. We need some more context - what are your pros/cons.

Some things I am thinking of:

Northwestern is in a posh part of the city.
UChicago is closer to an underserved population - although its got a complicated history with underserved folks in the city (read The Emergency)

I’ll be honest not sure about pros and cons just yet as I’m still narrowing down my list and these interviews were a while ago. I’m not sure how I feel about the smaller class size of Pritzker or its 1.5 preclinical curriculum. I am very much health equity oriented and interested in primary care (women’s health). I want to work with Latino community during med school, take part in global health experiences, and be in a non competitive environment full of mentorship. But again I’m sure both fit these descriptions, but I am curious why Feinberg is winning by a good amount given how similar I think the schools are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don’t know much about Feinberg, but I was also accepted to Pritzker and was blown away by their program. Regarding mentorship, I was really impressed by Pritzker’s “e-harmony letter” (mentorship matching). Also, I feel like UChicago lives, eats, and breathes health equity. If you want to pursue health equity (and be surrounded by classmates who all are focused on health equity), UChicago is the place to be. They also have tons of free clinics.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I’ll be honest not sure about pros and cons just yet as I’m still narrowing down my list and these interviews were a while ago. I’m not sure how I feel about the smaller class size of Pritzker or its 1.5 preclinical curriculum. I am very much health equity oriented and interested in primary care (women’s health). I want to work with Latino community during med school, take part in global health experiences, and be in a non competitive environment full of mentorship. But again I’m sure both fit these descriptions, but I am curious why Feinberg is winning by a good amount given how similar I think the schools are.
Given what you said, def Pritzker. The lean towards more affluent patients is pretty noticeable at Northwestern, and the lean towards marginalized patients is pretty noticeable at UChicago. If those are the only factors rn, I'd say UChicago is the way.

Reactions: 2 users
The lean towards more affluent patients is pretty noticeable at Northwestern
Feinberg is in a very nice part of town, but can't say that it's all that "noticeable" once you get inside the hospitals (although I admit I never looked in the parking garages).
and the lean towards marginalized patients is pretty noticeable at UChicago.
That might very well be true, but not personally having gone there, I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement about something like that in particular....
I can say that along with students from Pritzker (and a couple of the other Chicago med schools), Feinberg students have the opportunity to work at CHC (look it up). Feinberg is not known for primary care, however ECMH is essentially a 4-year primary care clerkship and the clinics definitely serve patients from marginalized communities. Plus, being assigned to your clinic all 4 years allows you the opportunity to develop longitudinal relationships with many of those patients. They've also just started a program that focuses on "Global Primary Care" issues, but I don't know anything about it. Does that overcome the fact that UChicago is much more likely to serve patients from neighborhoods like Englewood or Washington Park? That's something you've earned the privilege to decide! Would definitely agree that both are great schools and that there isn't a difference in reputation/match. Is there anything regarding curriculum or life outside of school that you want to know about? (Those might be the kinds of things people are voting on - although I never heard any of the UChicago students I met complain about those kinds of things).

Feinberg is in a very nice part of town, but can't say that it's all that "noticeable" once you get inside the hospitals (although I admit I never looked in the parking garages).

That might very well be true, but not personally having gone there, I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement about something like that in particular....
I can say that along with students from Pritzker (and a couple of the other Chicago med schools), Feinberg students have the opportunity to work at CHC (look it up). Feinberg is not known for primary care, however ECMH is essentially a 4-year primary care clerkship and the clinics definitely serve patients from marginalized communities. Plus, being assigned to your clinic all 4 years allows you the opportunity to develop longitudinal relationships with many of those patients. They've also just started a program that focuses on "Global Primary Care" issues, but I don't know anything about it. Does that overcome the fact that UChicago is much more likely to serve patients from neighborhoods like Englewood or Washington Park? That's something you've earned the privilege to decide! Would definitely agree that both are great schools and that there isn't a difference in reputation/match. Is there anything regarding curriculum or life outside of school that you want to know about? (Those might be the kinds of things people are voting on - although I never heard any of the UChicago students I met complain about those kinds of things).
Went to Northwestern, didn't you? Lol

Would you say that there’s anything at all that Feinberg tops or is better in than UChicago? Or are they that even in all ways besides the patient populations?

Would you say that there’s anything at all that Feinberg tops or is better in than UChicago? Or are they that even in all ways besides the patient populations?
You gave really little information about your goals or thoughts into each school that it's impossible to tell you much. The only thing you mentioned is that you want to work with underserved populations (and some general likes/dislikes about class size/curriculum). Based on what you wrote - UChicago will meet your needs better.

Better home programs (in general) at Northwestern compared to UChicago and you're statistically most likely to match at your home program in any specialty.

• Care
Better home programs (in general) at Northwestern compared to UChicago and you're statistically most likely to match at your home program in any specialty.
I didn’t know that! Thank you sm 🙏

The hospital system is hands down better at Northwestern and the location is also better at Northwestern. You also get access to the sports games of NU which can be fun if you are into it (and there is a student shuttle bus from NU Chicago (med campus) to NU Evanston (undergrad campus)

One thing to note, Northwestern will not give you more than full tuition as a scholarship. UChicago is willing to go to full COA which is huge. They both should be sending out FA and scholarship info soon too.

• Love
One thing to note, Northwestern will not give you more than full tuition as a scholarship. UChicago is willing to go to full COA which is huge. They both should be sending out FA and scholarship info soon too.
This is definitely something to consider that I didn’t know about!!! I appreciate your response :)

• Love
This is definitely something to consider that I didn’t know about!!! I appreciate your response :)
Should be noted that covering COA requires some need-based grant component (or a mix of merit and need)

• Care
Hello all! Update with financial aid: NU is giving me 100% tuition and Uchicago offered 75% tuition (will most likely match the full tuition) - now completely stumped as I was hoping money would make the choice for me. So blessed and completely lost as I change my mind every other day.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! Update with financial aid: NU is giving me 100% tuition and Uchicago offered 75% tuition (will most likely match the full tuition) - now completely stumped as I was hoping money would make the choice for me. So blessed and completely lost as I change my mind every other day.
Did NU give you your offer today? I am still waiting on them but Uchi gave me full tuition 😈. Can't go wrong with either!