Hopkins vs Pritzker vs Feinberg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggplant1111

Reaction score
Hello! I'm so grateful to have these choices, but I am struggling to make a decision between my top 3, and I’d love any input or insight. I have family in both Chicago and near Baltimore and I’m undecided specialty-wise. Financial aid hasn’t come out so its a non-factor for now.

Feinberg
Pros
  • Location is (by FAR) my favorite. I’ve always envisioned myself living in Chicago specifically and think I would be very happy living downtown. I also have a lot of extended family in Chicago and who have worked for/attended NU in the past.
  • Curriculum seems flexible and prioritizes free time which I love. There seems to be a lot of cool student groups and activities
  • I really love the concept of ECMH

Cons
  • Bigger class size? Does this matter?
  • Around 4 people have independently told me that the environment here is competitive and “gunner” - not sure if this is true at all, but it didn’t sit well with me
  • Most expensive COL
  • Not the most diverse patient population
  • More of a Mid-Western match list which is not the biggest deal at all, esp since im sure a lot of it is because of preference, but I’m just not sure if I personally would want to end up matching in the midwest

Pritzker
Pros
  • Also close to Chicago and my family and kind of balances the big city vibe with a smaller community
  • SUCH an AMAZING vibe on my interview day. I loved their community and the faculty I spoke to. Seems like such a supportive and warm administration
  • I value the focus on social justice, community health, and health equity and they have so many student-run clinics
  • Smallest class size (kind of neutral)
Cons
  • I get the sense that its slightly less prestigious than the other two
  • Not directly in Chicago; for me this is less preferable than Feinberg for example
  • I’ve heard feedback from current students that the smaller class size has made things “cliquey” here.
Hopkins
Pros

• Biggest name. I know prestige and name-recognition isn’t everything, but I can already feel the power of the “benefit of the doubt” that comes with it, especially as residency applications seem to increasingly value the school you come from.
  • I’m undecided if I want to pursue academic medicine and I don’t even know what specialty I want, so I appreciate how strong Hopkins is across the board and the opportunities it may open up for me, given I choose something competitive. Many of the students I’ve talked to have expressed that the clinical training here is in a league of its own and I want to be the best doctor possible for my patients.
  • I grew up in Maryland and the other half of my family lives there so I would still have a support system (I could go home on the weekends if I really wanted haha). Also my partner is most likely going to go to medical school on the East Coast.
  • I’ve had very positive interactions with current M1s - someone even went out of their way to connect me with multiple people who were choosing between the same schools! To be fair, I have not reached out to as many Pritzker or Feinberg students because I will be attending their second looks and not Hopkins.
  • P/F preclinicals and core clerkships (for now!)
Cons

• Baltimore. I’ve seen it; I’m unimpressed, especially comparing it to Chicago, a city I’ve always wanted to live in. To be fair, I haven’t fully explored the nicer areas of Baltimore but it does feel unsafe. The thought that keeps weighing on my mind is the idea that I’d “waste my 20s” in a city that I’m not excited about :( but maybe I'm not giving it enough of a chance
  • No free clinics - seems like this is not one of their priorities compared to research which is disappointing
  • Has been described as “old school” to me which I’m not entirely sure the meaning of but rubs me the wrong way

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current Hopkins student. Will try to answer as objectively as I can!

Hello! I'm so grateful to have these choices, but I am struggling to make a decision between my top 3, and I’d love any input or insight. I have family in both Chicago and near Baltimore and I’m undecided specialty-wise. Financial aid hasn’t come out so its a non-factor for now.

Feinberg
Pros
  • Location is (by FAR) my favorite. I’ve always envisioned myself living in Chicago specifically and think I would be very happy living downtown. I also have a lot of extended family in Chicago and who have worked for/attended NU in the past.
Chicago would offer certain big city amenities but is also significantly more expensive and far from safe. Not sure whether you have prior experience living in a comparable city, but I would ask the students what daily life (on a med student budget) is really like there and whether it’s everything they envisioned coming in. It could be awesome and pros > cons, but ask around to get honest opinions!
  • Curriculum seems flexible and prioritizes free time which I love. There seems to be a lot of cool student groups and activities
Student groups/activities are nice, but med school is not undergrad. You’ll likely find that you want to fill your (more limited) free time doing more personal activities, hanging with friends, etc as opposed to filling it up with club meetings and events like you may have in undergrad. Those activities are also only relevant in your pre clinical phase, as you’ll likely be too busy when rotations start. Don’t pick a school based on the student groups.
  • I really love the concept of ECMH

Cons
  • Bigger class size? Does this matter?
  • Around 4 people have independently told me that the environment here is competitive and “gunner” - not sure if this is true at all, but it didn’t sit well with me
  • Most expensive COL
  • Not the most diverse patient population
  • More of a Mid-Western match list which is not the biggest deal at all, esp since im sure a lot of it is because of preference, but I’m just not sure if I personally would want to end up matching in the midwest
Bigger class size isn’t a huge deal, gives you more chances to find people you mesh with. Gunner vibes warrant exploration—all these schools will have uber-accomplished and inherently competitive individuals. Some are good about staying in their lanes and supporting each others’ success, whereas others get greedy/intimidated and become a toxic presence. Not sure if the curriculum here is P/F, but that can play a huge role in overall culture and gunner-ness.
Pritzker
Pros
  • Also close to Chicago and my family and kind of balances the big city vibe with a smaller community
  • SUCH an AMAZING vibe on my interview day. I loved their community and the faculty I spoke to. Seems like such a supportive and warm administration
  • I value the focus on social justice, community health, and health equity and they have so many student-run clinics
  • Smallest class size (kind of neutral)
They definitely do a great job conveying warmth/support on interview day. I’d suspect this has a minimal impact on your actual experience as a student, but ask current students. Social justice and community health are also major focuses here, but again, time will be more limited than you think for related student groups or clinics.
Cons
  • I get the sense that its slightly less prestigious than the other two
  • Not directly in Chicago; for me this is less preferable than Feinberg for example
  • I’ve heard feedback from current students that the smaller class size has made things “cliquey” here.
UChicago is a well-known institution but does carry less “lay prestige” outside of the Midwest. Small class sizes definitely present that risk.
Hopkins
Pros

• Biggest name. I know prestige and name-recognition isn’t everything, but I can already feel the power of the “benefit of the doubt” that comes with it, especially as residency applications seem to increasingly value the school you come from.
The name can certainly help with residency, but it’s not the end-all be-all. Matching really boils down to who you are and who you know, and a lot of it also depends on the specialty you’re applying into. Hopkins has many big names in many specialties, so that can help to slightly open some doors when you apply. However, handfuls of people at Hopkins still fail to match (for various reasons), so it’s not perfect there. I also know people who have matched well in competitive specialties from schools a tier or two below these… and if you’re considering these programs, you would likely have success wherever you go. No program would look down on you for attending uchicago or northwestern.
  • I’m undecided if I want to pursue academic medicine and I don’t even know what specialty I want, so I appreciate how strong Hopkins is across the board and the opportunities it may open up for me, given I choose something competitive. Many of the students I’ve talked to have expressed that the clinical training here is in a league of its own and I want to be the best doctor possible for my patients.
That is undeniably true. Strong across the board, and learning from some of the world’s best physicians, surgeons, and educators at all times is pretty special. However, med school is ultimately about exposure and practice. You start to lay the foundations of the type of doc you’ll be, but residency is where you really grow into that.
  • I grew up in Maryland and the other half of my family lives there so I would still have a support system (I could go home on the weekends if I really wanted haha). Also my partner is most likely going to go to medical school on the East Coast.
These would both be huge. Having support nearby and being reasonably close to your partner are big-picture quality of life and life path considerations.
  • I’ve had very positive interactions with current M1s - someone even went out of their way to connect me with multiple people who were choosing between the same schools! To be fair, I have not reached out to as many Pritzker or Feinberg students because I will be attending their second looks and not Hopkins.
  • P/F preclinicals and core clerkships (for now!)
P/F is the best. I don’t anticipate it changing anytime too soon.
Cons

• Baltimore. I’ve seen it; I’m unimpressed, especially comparing it to Chicago, a city I’ve always wanted to live in. To be fair, I haven’t fully explored the nicer areas of Baltimore but it does feel unsafe. The thought that keeps weighing on my mind is the idea that I’d “waste my 20s” in a city that I’m not excited about :( but maybe I'm not giving it enough of a chance
It’s far from perfect. The area immediately around the hospital is not great, but they manage to keep it relatively safe. It’s a small city as well. There are definitely multiple nicer pockets with more to see, do, eat/drink, etc than you’d think. Very affordable. It’s a solid place to be a student and grows on most people, although it’s not a place many people are dying to stay in forever (4 years goes by quickly). The handful of people I’ve seen dread living here were diehard New Yorkers who felt like nothing could ever compare to their beloved Manhattan, or lifelong west coasters who just got homesick and weren’t used to it not being 70 and sunny year-round. Others seem to adapt.
  • No free clinics - seems like this is not one of their priorities compared to research which is disappointing
  • Has been described as “old school” to me which I’m not entirely sure the meaning of but rubs me the wrong way
You will have plenty of opportunities to serve a similar population that you’d be serving at free clinics. You’ll also have other structured one-on-one clinical training time during your pre-clinical years, typically in a primary care clinic. Also never heard of it being referred to as “old school,” and if that’s true then idk what places would be considered “new school”??

Ultimately, it’s a tough call. Seems like you love the idea of Chicago, but your fam and partner may be closer to Baltimore. I totally respect wanting to spend a chunk of your 20s in a city you’ve dreamed of, I’d just be sure to do your homework on whether it’ll live up to those dreams. Baltimore is far from perfect but tends to grow on people. Hopkins is in a league with very few others with respect to clinical training, research, and prestige, and you only get one med school experience and name on that degree. Don’t know your financial situation, but if all else is equal and Hopkins is less than 75k greater than the others, I say go Hopkins. You can always move to Chicago for residency or as an attending with more $ to enjoy it.

Reactions: 6 users

Chicago would offer certain big city amenities but is also significantly more expensive and far from safe. Not sure whether you have prior experience living in a comparable city, but I would ask the students what daily life (on a med student budget) is really like there and whether it’s everything they envisioned coming in. It could be awesome and pros > cons, but ask around to get honest opinions!

Student groups/activities are nice, but med school is not undergrad. You’ll likely find that you want to fill your (more limited) free time doing more personal activities, hanging with friends, etc as opposed to filling it up with club meetings and events like you may have in undergrad. Those activities are also only relevant in your pre clinical phase, as you’ll likely be too busy when rotations start. Don’t pick a school based on the student groups.

Bigger class size isn’t a huge deal, gives you more chances to find people you mesh with. Gunner vibes warrant exploration—all these schools will have uber-accomplished and inherently competitive individuals. Some are good about staying in their lanes and supporting each others’ success, whereas others get greedy/intimidated and become a toxic presence. Not sure if the curriculum here is P/F, but that can play a huge role in overall culture and gunner-ness.

They definitely do a great job conveying warmth/support on interview day. I’d suspect this has a minimal impact on your actual experience as a student, but ask current students. Social justice and community health are also major focuses here, but again, time will be more limited than you think for related student groups or clinics.

UChicago is a well-known institution but does carry less “lay prestige” outside of the Midwest. Small class sizes definitely present that risk.

The name can certainly help with residency, but it’s not the end-all be-all. Matching really boils down to who you are and who you know, and a lot of it also depends on the specialty you’re applying into. Hopkins has many big names in many specialties, so that can help to slightly open some doors when you apply. However, handfuls of people at Hopkins still fail to match (for various reasons), so it’s not perfect there. I also know people who have matched well in competitive specialties from schools a tier or two below these… and if you’re considering these programs, you would likely have success wherever you go. No program would look down on you for attending uchicago or northwestern.

That is undeniably true. Strong across the board, and learning from some of the world’s best physicians, surgeons, and educators at all times is pretty special. However, med school is ultimately about exposure and practice. You start to lay the foundations of the type of doc you’ll be, but residency is where you really grow into that.

These would both be huge. Having support nearby and being reasonably close to your partner are big-picture quality of life and life path considerations.

It’s far from perfect. The area immediately around the hospital is not great, but they manage to keep it relatively safe. It’s a small city as well. There are definitely multiple nicer pockets with more to see, do, eat/drink, etc than you’d think. Very affordable. It’s a solid place to be a student and grows on most people, although it’s not a place many people are dying to stay in forever (4 years goes by quickly). The handful of people I’ve seen dread living here were diehard New Yorkers who felt like nothing could ever compare to their beloved Manhattan, or lifelong west coasters who just got homesick and weren’t used to it not being 70 and sunny year-round. Others seem to adapt.

You will have plenty of opportunities to serve a similar population that you’d be serving at free clinics. You’ll also have other structured one-on-one clinical training time during your pre-clinical years, typically in a primary care clinic. Also never heard of it being referred to as “old school,” and if that’s true then idk what places would be considered “new school”??

Ultimately, it’s a tough call. Seems like you love the idea of Chicago, but your fam and partner may be closer to Baltimore. I totally respect wanting to spend a chunk of your 20s in a city you’ve dreamed of, I’d just be sure to do your homework on whether it’ll live up to those dreams. Baltimore is far from perfect but tends to grow on people. Hopkins is in a league with very few others with respect to clinical training, research, and prestige, and you only get one med school experience and name on that degree. Don’t know your financial situation, but if all else is equal and Hopkins is less than 75k greater than the others, I say go Hopkins. You can always move to Chicago for residency or as an attending with more $ to enjoy it.

This was such an incredibly thorough answer I didn’t get into any of these and still read everything lol good job

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into Feinberg and Hopkins, but will ultimately choose Hopkins. Part of the reason was the M1s I talked to, but another part was how much the school cares about the entering class. It is the only school I know of that is flying people out/paying for hotels for SLW + the M1s have been very open and responsive to texts/emails for more information about the school and what their life is like in Baltimore. I've visited Baltimore in the past and feel like people give it way too much hate for what it's actually liked. I actually really enjoyed the options for food, scenery, and walkable parts. Plus the Amtrak make it really easy to get to DC/New York on weekends. The prestige also helps since they have some unrivaled connections and opportunities. This is more specifically for my interests, but in terms of research some of the PIs are working on genuinely groundbreaking med-tech that I would love to be a part of.

Reactions: 1 users

Wow, I want to express my gratitude for your response and the time it took to think about all these different aspects. This was very very helpful. I def agree that I am really in love with the idea of Chicago and that its more of a feeling and not super grounded in experience and research. I went to undergrad in Los Angeles, so that's my main comparison city-wise (I learned that I like big city, but miss seasons, my family, and I hate having to drive everywhere–aspects that Chicago seemed to fill in my head haha). I think "old school" kind of implied like "old boys network" to me, but I'm also not sure, and it sounds like that hasn't been the case from your perspective which is good.

When you say that even people at Hopkins sometimes fail to match, is that just because of the competitive nature of certain specialities? Do you feel like you/most of your classmates have enough support and guidance to navigate match?

Reactions: 1 user
I got into Feinberg and Hopkins, but will ultimately choose Hopkins. Part of the reason was the M1s I talked to, but another part was how much the school cares about the entering class. It is the only school I know of that is flying people out/paying for hotels for SLW + the M1s have been very open and responsive to texts/emails for more information about the school and what their life is like in Baltimore. I've visited Baltimore in the past and feel like people give it way too much hate for what it's actually liked. I actually really enjoyed the options for food, scenery, and walkable parts. Plus the Amtrak make it really easy to get to DC/New York on weekends. The prestige also helps since they have some unrivaled connections and opportunities. This is more specifically for my interests, but in terms of research some of the PIs are working on genuinely groundbreaking med-tech that I would love to be a part of.
yeah I agree 100%. the m1s here have been super supportive and welcoming, and it's stood out to me comparing the experience to other programs I've gotten into. I hope that translates to a super supportive community and network!

Last edited:
Wow, I want to express my gratitude for your response and the time it took to think about all these different aspects. This was very very helpful. I def agree that I am really in love with the idea of Chicago and that its more of a feeling and not super grounded in experience and research. I went to undergrad in Los Angeles, so that's my main comparison city-wise (I learned that I like big city, but miss seasons, my family, and I hate having to drive everywhere–aspects that Chicago seemed to fill in my head haha). I think "old school" kind of implied like "old boys network" to me, but I'm also not sure, and it sounds like that hasn't been the case from your perspective which is good.

When you say that even people at Hopkins sometimes fail to match, is that just because of the competitive nature of certain specialities? Do you feel like you/most of your classmates have enough support and guidance to navigate match?
You’re very welcome! All I ask is that you pay it forward when someone is in your shoes down the line :)

Chicago can definitely be an exciting city, but those winters are bru-tal. Baltimore has 4 distinct seasons. Probably not as much going on in Baltimore compared to Chicago, but there are major sports teams, some concert venues, museums, breweries, etc. with DC, Philly, and NYC all 1, 2, and 3 hours away, respectively.

Hopkins is the birthplace of modern medicine and has a rich history, which began at a time that was certainly active for many “old boys.” Faculty now are incredibly diverse, with no hint of weird nepotistic or patriarchal networking.

And yes, it’s largely due to the nature of competitive surgical specialties (eg ortho, ophtho, plastics) that are just a crapshoot to match into due to the remarkably few residency spots available (~5 per class). It may be easy to assume that anyone from Hopkins should at least match somewhere, but the name alone doesn’t work miracles. It gives you the ingredients, but you still need to do the cooking. In comparison, students going into specialties like Internal Medicine (where there are like ~30+ spots per class) match wherever they want. There are multiple layers of peer and faculty advising baked into your formal experience, as well as relationships you develop with faculty informally. Some departments have more structured advising opportunities (eg pairing you with an attending, senior resident, and junior resident) whereas others may require you to do a little more legwork to network.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
UChicago is directly in the city of Chicago.

You mean Feinberg right? Feinberg is basically in downtown Chicago.
They are both in the city of Chicago. OP said it's not directly in Chicago. Not being downtown doesn't mean it's not in Chicago. It's just on a less affluent area.

Similar boat as you (also a Chicago native and admitted to FSM and UChi)
Location: Northwestern (Streeterville > Hyde Park; never been to Baltimore but I still think Hyde Park would likely be > Baltimore since the rest of Chicago is so accessible)
Cost: Although Northwestern has the potential to be generous, I think on average UChicago and Hopkins are more generous (UChicago gives 60% of their incoming class full tuition and they are willing to give you COA too if you need it)
Vibe: I got GREAT vibes from UChicago throughout every interaction.
Hospital system: Hopkins > Northwestern > UChicago
Prestige: To the layperson they are equals (with regional bias ofc). UChicago may be seen as a more academic/research-focused institution, Hopkins is more known in Medicine public health and BME than the other two but I think the other two take the edge in the other categories, and NU is strong in all categories
Hopkins: The P/F clinical seems incredible but I heard that getting honors at Pritzker is relatively easy
Personally, I like 1.5 year pre-clinical versus 2 (and I think most students say that they couldn't imagine having to do more 0.5 years more preclinical)
UChicago is very heavily focused on community health if that is of interest to you.

This is a very tough choice indeed. My advice is to go to all the second looks and get an overall vibe/vision of how you see yourself fitting in there and wait for $$$ (which should be coming very soon for FSM and UC). In addition, do not discount the positive impact of being close to your family (this for me is very important and why I will likely choose UC or FSM).