No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
I asked our Neuro professor today, didn't really know (think he is more human oriented).

But when you scratch the base of a cats tail (sacral area), some of them (The ones that don't try to rip you face off) will start licking profusely. My g/f cat will do it until you stop scratching, literally for minutes.

Anyone have any idea what kind of 'reflex' that is, or the reason? Or even taught about it?

Just curious... Did a superficial goggle search, found it on a few cat sites, but nothing really explained it. Any thoughts?

Kat0303

UTCVM co 2012 WOOOOOOO!
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2008
TN
Status
Veterinary Student
My cat does this, and for her it's associated with her flea allergy (she's on flea preventative but even if 1 from outside bites her it sets her allergy off). I didn't think it was a reflex but more associated with a reaction to something itchy but i could be wrong.

Mistoffeles

RVC c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Status
Veterinary Student
I asked our Neuro professor today, didn't really know (think he is more human oriented).

But when you scratch the base of a cats tail (sacral area), some of them (The ones that don't try to rip you face off) will start licking profusely. My g/f cat will do it until you stop scratching, literally for minutes.

Anyone have any idea what kind of 'reflex' that is, or the reason? Or even taught about it?

Just curious... Did a superficial goggle search, found it on a few cat sites, but nothing really explained it. Any thoughts?
see, my justice cat does this to a slightly less extreme point - he just arches his back and purrs like a fiend. i always assumed that it was just his happy personality. now i'm going to be curious. guess i'll ask *my* neuro professor. :)

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
see, my justice cat does this to a slightly less extreme point - he just arches his back and purrs like a fiend. i always assumed that it was just his happy personality. now i'm going to be curious. guess i'll ask *my* neuro professor. :)
Put your hand in front of his mouth when your doing this... bet you he will start licking!

alliecat44

KSU CVM Class of '11
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
DC metro area
Status
Veterinarian

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I know in humans, sacral nerves are hooked up to your private parts, and if I scratch my sacral region I start to feel all tingly in my... wait a minute... I think I'll stop right there and just end it with this: When I get S1,2,3,4 scratched, well... I'd lick if I could". :D jk jk jk

Kat0303

UTCVM co 2012 WOOOOOOO!
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2008
TN
Status
Veterinary Student
WOW! that's really interesting. I had no idea that it was actually a condition. Our neuro professor just showed us the Cornell website today in class and I think it's going to be a really good resource.