Feline Neuro Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked our Neuro professor today, didn't really know (think he is more human oriented).

But when you scratch the base of a cats tail (sacral area), some of them (The ones that don't try to rip you face off) will start licking profusely. My g/f cat will do it until you stop scratching, literally for minutes.

Anyone have any idea what kind of 'reflex' that is, or the reason? Or even taught about it?

Just curious... Did a superficial goggle search, found it on a few cat sites, but nothing really explained it. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

My cat does this, and for her it's associated with her flea allergy (she's on flea preventative but even if 1 from outside bites her it sets her allergy off). I didn't think it was a reflex but more associated with a reaction to something itchy but i could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked our Neuro professor today, didn't really know (think he is more human oriented).

But when you scratch the base of a cats tail (sacral area), some of them (The ones that don't try to rip you face off) will start licking profusely. My g/f cat will do it until you stop scratching, literally for minutes.

Anyone have any idea what kind of 'reflex' that is, or the reason? Or even taught about it?

Just curious... Did a superficial goggle search, found it on a few cat sites, but nothing really explained it. Any thoughts?

see, my justice cat does this to a slightly less extreme point - he just arches his back and purrs like a fiend. i always assumed that it was just his happy personality. now i'm going to be curious. guess i'll ask *my* neuro professor. :)

see, my justice cat does this to a slightly less extreme point - he just arches his back and purrs like a fiend. i always assumed that it was just his happy personality. now i'm going to be curious. guess i'll ask *my* neuro professor. :)

Put your hand in front of his mouth when your doing this... bet you he will start licking!

I know in humans, sacral nerves are hooked up to your private parts, and if I scratch my sacral region I start to feel all tingly in my... wait a minute... I think I'll stop right there and just end it with this: When I get S1,2,3,4 scratched, well... I'd lick if I could". :D jk jk jk

WOW! that's really interesting. I had no idea that it was actually a condition. Our neuro professor just showed us the Cornell website today in class and I think it's going to be a really good resource.