Feline Renal Failure and Diet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of controversy about whether or not a low-protein diet is actually good for cats with kidney failure, but it seems that a diet low in phosphorous is essential. Do any of you know any good books, articles, or websites with reliable recipes to cook your own low phosphorous cat food?
Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

There seems to be a lot of controversy about whether or not a low-protein diet is actually good for cats with kidney failure, but it seems that a diet low in phosphorous is essential. Do any of you know any good books, articles, or websites with reliable recipes to cook your own low phosphorous cat food?
Thanks.:)

Hill's Pet Nutrition has a two-sided page of recipes for pet owners to cook their own special diets at home. Each recipe coincides with one of their prescription diet formulas. I.E., they have a cardiac diet comparable to their "h/d" line, one for their "k/d" line, etc.

The homemade recipe sheet is very old, and I'm not sure if it's being distributed anymore. Hill's may or may not give this to you if you call their consumer hotline. However, your veterinarian's office should be able to obtain the page for you, if they don't have it on-hand already.

When I was still managing a practice, I had old copies of the page, but I recall Hill's faxing the page to other practices.

However, I can't speak for the company, and I'm not a vet nor a nutritionist. I believe Hill's line of kidney diet "k/d" is based on a low protein philosophy, and possibly the phosphorus as you mention. Their hotline may be able to tell you more, but ideally this is something you should discuss with your veterinarian. So, their homemade recipe for k/d will probably reflect their approach to renal failure in cats. And, by the way, yes, the recipes are geared for either canine or feline and are specific.

I have a 15 year old cat in early renal failure, so I sympathize with you. My rudimentary understanding of renal failure in cats has historically been that cats need high protein -- but eventually this 'catches up' to them since the kidneys bear the brunt of that work. Anyway, I haven't taken nutrition yet, and I sure don't have my DVM yet, so that's only my novice opinion.

I got my cat a pet water fountain a few years ago, and he LOVES it. Just throwing the idea out to you; they are relatively inexpensive, and as long as you keep the fountain clean, I think it's a great way of encouraging cats to drink. We would both probably agree that drinking plenty of water, no matter what species or age we are, is good for health.

Good luck!

We talked a little bit about this in my nutrition class and yes, the general school of thought is to keep phosphorus down. So if you were wanting to homecook (which is totally cool and may be helpful for palatability, especially if the kitty goes off feed from not feeling well), I'd maybe go on the USDA's website and look up some of the meats that may be suitable based on their phosphorus level and then discuss it with a veterinary nutritionist (of which there are few). If I recall, lamb and chicken were not bad, but it's going to depend on the cut of meat too.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

However, a couple of the companies differ on protein levels. High protein levels don't cause renal failure. I think I read on VIN (I wish I would have kept that link!) that in humans, even both vegans and non-vegans supposedly have equal rates of kidney failure. But if you induce kidney failure, a low amount of protein is better than high levels and so most therapeutic diets have a low amount of protein in them. Another school of thought (I may be thinking of Royal Canin's?) says that very low protein is not good because it decreases glomerular filtration rate, so you need at least a modest amount. From my perspective as someone interested in holistic nutrition, I'd like to see a modest level of highly digestible and bioavailable protein sources used so as to not overwork or underwork the kidneys and use common sense with the ingredients. For instance, I'll pick on Purina. :D Here is the ingredients of canned Purina NF (their veterinary kidney failure diet):

Water sufficient for processing, ground yellow corn, liver, beef, brewers rice, bacon fat preserved with BHA, canola oil, wheat flour, gum arabic, egg product, calcium carbonate, potassium citrate, salt, choline chloride, fish oil, vitamin supplements (E, B-12, D-3), niacin, calcium pantothenate, ferrous sulfate, riboflavin supplement, zinc oxide, biotin, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Corn is not particularly digestable, yet it is the first ingredient besides water. Imagine a human patient with kidney failure. Would a human doctor recommend a diet with bacon fat (complete with a synthetic preservative that has known estrogenic activity) as the ingredient 5th on the list? Hmmm....I also really like fish oil as a supplement and it has been quite popular to add into many diets for many reasons (skin, heart, joints, etc) for the omega 3s. Which is all well and good, until one considers that fish, especially those at the top of their ocean food chain, bioaccumulate mercury, dioxins, PCBs, etc in their fat. Where does that oil come from? The fatty tissue in the fish. So if you wish to give fish oil, I would *highly* recommend paying slightly more and getting the molecularly distilled type so the kidney and liver are not so worried detoxing those nasties. It can be found at Sam's Club for less than $15 for a big bottle. JMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Corn is not particularly digestable, yet it is the first ingredient besides water. Imagine a human patient with kidney failure. Would a human doctor recommend a diet with bacon fat (complete with a synthetic preservative that has known estrogenic activity) as the ingredient 5th on the list?

Which is why the current recommendation is to feed the canned renal diets (or regular diet for that matter IMO) when possible and practical. Has the added benefit of helping increase water intake as well.

No offense to anyone's future profession, but the only MDs hung up on dietary fat are those who still buy the propaganda that there is a cholesterol-heart disease connection. In this instance, the fat is to increase the palatability of a low protein diet to an obligate protein eater. It's easier than trying to reason with him/her to eat the food even if it doesn't taste very good. The focus of ones concern regarding the fat content of a diet, whether feline or human, should be when dietary intake of fat and carbohydrate are both high. Doesn't have anything to do with the kidneys, just diabetes and obesity.

But I digress.

Because no two animals with renal disease experience the same problems/blood chemistry abnormalities/etceteras, a therapeutic renal diet should ideally be tailored to the individual animal. It is hard enough to feed a complete and balanced home cooked diet to a healthy pet let alone one with a medical condition. The good news is these days you can consult with a nutritionist without having to travel to reach them. The one that comes with recommendation from VIN is:

http://www.petdiets.com/

Good luck.

Commercial renal failure diets are not really low protein. They have moderate levels of protein (e.g. 29% DM), lower than most maintenance diets (40%) but still adequate for maintenance and not as low as a true low protein diet.

They also have a lot of other important characteristics: essential fatty acids, sodium restriction, low phosphorous, alkalinizing urine.

A prospective, randomized clinical trial has shown that these diets significantly reduce uremic episodes, improve quality of life, and reduce death from renal disease compared to adult maintenance diets.

Rossi SJ, et al. Clinical evaluation of dietary modification for treatment of spontaneous chronic kidney disease in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc. September 2006;229(6):949-57.

Thanks everyone for the great replies:). It's much appreciated.

I got my cat a pet water fountain a few years ago, and he LOVES it. Just throwing the idea out to you; they are relatively inexpensive, and as long as you keep the fountain clean, I think it's a great way of encouraging cats to drink. We would both probably agree that drinking plenty of water, no matter what species or age we are, is good for health.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1910+3395&pcatid=3395 Is this what you meant by a water fountain? I've seen the other ones that are actually kinda like actual water fountains, but they were kinda noisy and I think the noise would scare my cats away and they wouldn't drink at all. (I have true 'fraidy cats:laugh:)
Thanks again to everyone for their thoughtful replies.:)

Commercial renal failure diets are not really low protein. They have moderate levels of protein (e.g. 29% DM), lower than most maintenance diets (40%) but still adequate for maintenance and not as low as a true low protein diet.

Ah, okay, Purina's NF dry dog (as I was thinking dog, not cat), has 12%, Royal Canin's has 11% and 14% for their LP and MP respectively, and Hill's k/d has 12% for minimums. That's about half the protein that their respective maintenance diets would tend to have. The trouble I always noticed, even in grad school doing nutrition studies, was that "high fat," "low protein," etc. unless they were spelled out, were always rather subjective. They're labeled high and low in papers just so the researchers can get them straight, even if one is not particularly high or low on a physiological basis, and then that gets re-cited by both scientific and lay readers as being set in stone as high or low. Ah well...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1910+3395&pcatid=3395 Is this what you meant by a water fountain? I've seen the other ones that are actually kinda like actual water fountains, but they were kinda noisy and I think the noise would scare my cats away and they wouldn't drink at all. (I have true 'fraidy cats:laugh:)
Thanks again to everyone for their thoughtful replies.:)

No... I've got this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1783

I thought I got the same one off eBay, but mine actually has Drs Fosters and Smith stamped on the front.. and I order my fair share of stuff off there... so anyway, it's that particular fountain. I didn't bother with the extra reservoir though, because I was able to refill without it ever running out. If you've got dogs, or many cats, maybe consider it. My dog didn't have access to it, so it was a non-issue for me.

The one you show might actually entice the cat to drink more too - simply because he/she may hear the gurgling of the base refilling. You'd be surprised at what turns cats onto water. I've known many to hang out in bath tubs, watching the water drip, or jump into sinks whenever owners turn the faucet on. And then of course there's the infamous toilet bowl...

Many cats really dig the fountain (the one, or similar models, to what I've got). When I had three cats, the stats were: 1 cat loved it (my current 15 year old), 1 uses it daily (but not as often as the first), and the third, no longer with me (cancer) - he had zero interest in it.

If you're willing to entertain the idea, I'm pretty sure that Fosters and Smith would take the fountain back if it's a no-go in your house. I think they're into customer satisfaction, and I doubt they'd give you a problem if, 10 days later, you call and say, my cat won't use it!

(And... no... I don't get paid to advertise pet fountains :laugh: )

OH -- Re: Noise level. You can't hear the motor/pump on mine at all. At least, I can't. The sound of the water (I keep the "trickle speed" set to lowest) actually entices my oldest cat, I think. I thought I'd get clever and get him to drink even more - by turning it up to the higher 'cascade' ... but he didn't appreciate that. So... back to the calm, soothing babble...

I'll get off my soap box (err, fountain) now.

Thanks so much, CookieBear:). I did have a cat (no longer here, brain tumor) who was absolutely fascinated by water a few years ago. He'd hang out by the bathroom when someone was in there so he could watch the toilet flush(he'd hang over the side to watch the water!) He also drank out of the sink- I'd turn the sink on and he'd drink:). The two cats I have now are afraid of everything, but I'll give it a try.
Thank you very much for your input. My kitties thank you as well:D.

Thanks so much, CookieBear:). I did have a cat (no longer here, brain tumor) who was absolutely fascinated by water a few years ago. He'd hang out by the bathroom when someone was in there so he could watch the toilet flush(he'd hang over the side to watch the water!) He also drank out of the sink- I'd turn the sink on and he'd drink:). The two cats I have now are afraid of everything, but I'll give it a try.
Thank you very much for your input. My kitties thank you as well:D.

You're quite welcome. Good luck! :luck: