Feline Urinary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wittynp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may be unorthodox to post this particular question in this forum, but it was my best bet at finding out the answer. As an aside, I am a pre-vet student and working at a veterinary clinic.

A male cat who was relinquished to a rescue group we work with was brought into our clinic four months ago. I have fallen in love with this guy and would like some insight into his problem, if possible.

He was given up by his family (at 12 years old) because when they had a baby he began spraying in the house. He was an indoor/outdoor cat and prior to the baby they had not noticed his strong smelling urine, probably because he would eliminate outdoors. He has been neutered, but his urine smells distinctly like an un-neutered male. We have done ultra-sounds (no testicle or remaining tissue found), exploratory surgery (same answer), urine c/s (normal/no growth), testosterone level check (slightly elevated/ in the intact male category at 1.030 ng/mL with intact male baseline level of 1.0 ng/mL), blood work (normal).

Has anyone seen this before, or have any other suggestions? Our DVM has called other clinics and referred to our relief vets with no answers. One clinic suggested his diet may be a factor, so we switched him to strictly canned food and of the same flavor and brand for two months, with no change.

He is just lovely and I would love to take him home, but before I do want to exhaust all options in determining his problem. Also, I am not keen on keeping him as indoor/outdoor because he is a bit skittish.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking around and realizing that this forum does not "allow" posts like this one, I apologize. Do any of you know of another forum that this question could be asked in? Even if it is for DVM only, my boss would post.

Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your boss has a VIN membership that would be a good place to go.

I would also look on VIN (veterinary information network) if your boss has access. He can either post or do a search to see what people have recommended before.

We have done ultra-sounds (no testicle or remaining tissue found), exploratory surgery (same answer), urine c/s (normal/no growth), testosterone level check (slightly elevated/ in the intact male category at 1.030 ng/mL with intact male baseline level of 1.0 ng/mL), blood work (normal).

pretty big step for strong smelling urine?!? :confused::eek:

you need a veterinary behaviourist.

Well, the original intent of the surgery was to remove remaining testis that had potentially shown on previous ultrasounds. However, nothing was found. We are not concerned with spraying, he has not done it since being at the clinic. We are just wondering why he has such strong smelling urine. The urine is as strong as the worst tom cats that any of us have smelled. As soon as we clean his litter box we have to take the trash outside because of how potent it is.

Thank you all for your advice, and DVM will post on VIN this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.