Fellows: Curious about application time line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucladukes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the fellows, or anyone who has gone through the process:

I realize the actual application form and statement are fairly easy to submit within a month. I had a couple of questions that may influence whether I apply this year or next.

1) Recs - do they need to be in by deadlines - is it okay if they trickle in by
Jan/Feb? Do most invites already go out by then?

2) Step 3 - taking it in Jan - is that a problem

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs have a deadline (something like Jan 1 or Jan 15, each program varies) by which they want the application completed. That said, they may make exceptions but I would really aim to have all your letters in by the deadlines.

Invites start approx Feb 1 from what I remember.

From my experience Step 3 is not an issue and programs don't care if you've taken it.

Good luck.

I realize the actual application form and statement are fairly easy to submit within a month. I had a couple of questions that may influence whether I apply this year or next.

Programs are highly variable for their deadlines, from as early as December 15th and as late as February 1st. In general, submitting earlier is to your advantage. I received my first rejection early December and first interview mid-December.

For most programs, your LoR need to be in by the deadline. Last year I missed a couple deadlines because mine weren't in. Since cardiology is competitive, this makes it an easy way to eliminate some candidates.

I don't think having Step 3 scores by the time you submit is necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your letters should be in by the deadline. Everything that is required should be in by the deadline. As Dreemer mentioned, it's very competitive. Meeting a deadline is considered part of the application/recruitment process.

Invitations may go out as early as late December. Many programs start in January. We extend all of ours by mid-January.

Most programs do not require Step III results, but you should research each program to which you're applying to make sure.

Good luck to all of you!
:luck:

Your letters should be in by the deadline. Everything that is required should be in by the deadline. As Dreemer mentioned, it's very competitive. Meeting a deadline is considered part of the application/recruitment process.

Invitations may go out as early as late December. Many programs start in January. We extend all of ours by mid-January.

Most programs do not require Step III results, but you should research each program to which you're applying to make sure.

Good luck to all of you!
:luck:
So for those of us still in school and unfamiliar with the timeline, if you want to go right into Cards from your IM residency, you need to apply by January of your PGY-2 year? Does doing a Chief Residency year help you greatly in securing a fellowship?