Fellowship abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBOB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience pursing an anesthesia fellowship abroad after residency, such as Australia or the UK? I understand that any certification obtained would likely not transfer to the US, but I'm curious if it's possible to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had experience pursing an anesthesia fellowship abroad after residency, such as Australia or the UK? I understand that any certification obtained would likely not transfer to the US, but I'm curious if it's possible to do.

Yes it's possible, we often get overseas fellows ... I'm not sure what is involved in getting accepted - I think there is quite the buerocracy.
Contact the hospitals directly -- The list of options is password protected but

Contact us - ANZCA

This might get you started

I'm sure it's possible because I've met an American anesthesiologist doing so at one of the Sydney hospitals. I've met several Kiwi, Canadian, British and other anaesthetic fellows in Australia as well. See if you can speak with the Supervisor of Training (similar-ish to a PD) at the hospital you're interested in. They should be able to give you more information. I can tell you about most of the hospitals in Sydney if you're interested, but the most well-known and "prestigious" ones are probably the Royal Prince Alfred, Royal North Shore, Prince of Wales and St Vincent's.