Fellowship advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, I'd do movement. A lot more to offer than Neuro-ophth. The demand for movement is crazy hot and I wouldn't see why you'd need to do an inpatient work to supplement your income. The movement guys I know make comparative money working banker hours, or better.

During my job hunt for neurohospitalist work, couple of places offered me the opportunity to do some outpatient neuro during my week off. I declined.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally, I'd do movement. A lot more to offer than Neuro-ophth. The demand for movement is crazy hot and I wouldn't see why you'd need to do an inpatient work to supplement your income. The movement guys I know make comparative money working banker hours, or better.

During my job hunt for neurohospitalist work, couple of places offered me the opportunity to do some outpatient neuro during my week off. I declined.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate any guidance. I do like movement a lot. I also love inpatient to an extent. In an ideal world I’d work inpatient and outpatient for 5-10 years then transition to an all outpatient/tele medicine practice based on the landscape then. It’s not really just for money more because I enjoy the acuity inpatient at times. Especially with acute stroke or other neurological exacerbations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Entering my third year of residency this July. My goal after residency for the first few years is be a hospitalist and pay off my loans/ work and live like a resident. After this I want to transition to the outpatient life. My conundrum at this point is what type of fellowship I want to do. I am torn between movement and neuro eye. Two very different fields but I see value and fun in both. Each of these rotations I truly enjoyed going to “work.”

What would you choose and why? Also anyone know if any place is looking for someone who wants to do hospitalist work a few weeks out of the month and then a week of outpatient a month with a week off. That’s my ideal schedule but unsure if it exists. Thanks for the advice.
I am biased towards Movement but Neuro-oph is decent too if you prefer to work in academia and/or in a very big center. Its hard to find Neuro-ophtha jobs outside of that setting. Movement has a higher demand. You can also easily develop a Movement disorders only outpatient practice in medium sized places. Not sure abt Neuro-oph

You can definitely get a position doing hospitalist week on-week off and then few days/week of outpatient in your off week, either in your place of employment or locums. What type of setting/geographical areas are you looking at?

Reactions: 2 users
I am biased towards Movement but Neuro-oph is decent too if you prefer to work in academia and/or in a very big center. Its hard to find Neuro-ophtha jobs outside of that setting. Movement has a higher demand. You can also easily develop a Movement disorders only outpatient practice in medium sized places. Not sure abt Neuro-oph

You can definitely get a position doing hospitalist week on-week off and then few days/week of outpatient in your off week, either in your place of employment or locums. What type of setting/geographical areas are you looking at?

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your reply. I am open to anywhere. My partner and I do not have kids so we can easily move around as needed. We would prefer to be an hour or so from a city at a medium sized hospital. I like the southern west coast and northern east coast the best.

The more I do and hear about movement the more excited I get. I think that will be my path it seems like one that is wide open. Now just to find a program. I am not very interested in research. I want to be an expert in treating patients clinically with little to no research in fellowship or my career. I have seen some fellowships that are 100 percent clinical. Any ideas on which ones are top notch or recommended for someone wanting to be clinical only?

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your reply. I am open to anywhere. My partner and I do not have kids so we can easily move around as needed. We would prefer to be an hour or so from a city at a medium sized hospital. I like the southern west coast and northern east coast the best.

The more I do and hear about movement the more excited I get. I think that will be my path it seems like one that is wide open. Now just to find a program. I am not very interested in research. I want to be an expert in treating patients clinically with little to no research in fellowship or my career. I have seen some fellowships that are 100 percent clinical. Any ideas on which ones are top notch or recommended for someone wanting to be clinical only?
Movement is a great subspecialty and has a robust clinical and research potential. Annual meetings are Awesome and most people in movement Love it! And you can easily practice >80% movement in most mid sized and above places.

There are lots of good programs in NE, but I am few years out of fellowship and haven't kept up with academia much. I can't honestly tell you what's the current state of Movement fellowships, because the faculty move around a lot for whatever reason. There are few old threads here that talk about these programs. May be someone who is currently applying or doing fellowship here can guide you better. Good luck!