fellowship advice

Started by neurol85
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neurol85

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m currently applying for fellowship. This particular fellowship has no match. I applied to a very small number of programs anticipating that I’d stay at my home program.

I’ve received a time sensitive offer at a different program but I didn’t feel like the program was a good fit for a number of reasons.

I’m not going to get a decision from my home program before the deadline to accept/decline my offer as they are still interviewing people. FWIW, my home program has a strong track record of taking their own. I also have an interview at a third program coming up soon.

I’m very conflicted here as I currently have a guaranteed spot and there’s a small but real chance that I’d walk away with no fellowship if I were to give it up.

Any advice?
 
It behooves me how someone at the end of a Neurology residency can be so lacking in details.

No one can possibly give any advice without knowing your subspecialty. The correct answer for applying to Interventional Neurology vs. Neuro-otology is drastically different.
 
This is actually a legitimate concern of mine as well, although I haven't made it quite as far as you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It behooves me how someone at the end of a Neurology residency can be so lacking in details.

No one can possibly give any advice without knowing your subspecialty. The correct answer for applying to Interventional Neurology vs. Neuro-otology is drastically different.

Details are sparse for purposes of anonymity. Neurology sub-specialties are small communities. It doesn't matter what the sub-specialty is, but for what it's worth, it's historically not very competitive.