Fellowship application for 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elchimi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody interested to throw stones with me? I want to apply for a Heme/Onc program in July that is strong in BMT and malignant heme and provides good support for any clinical or lab research. Does not matter where, thanks to my wife. I'm an alien with a green card, doing residency in a good SE program. Not the strongest scores, but experienced in BMT and malignant heme ( 4 years Europe) and abstract/posters at ASC,, EBMT, 1 thesis written, 1 co- author paper, 1 x paper about to submit as 1st author about small clinical study. Have 1 good book chapter as 1st author, and I am doing lab research ( but not productive yet, needs so much time) and will have very good LoR. There are so many programs out there, that it is sort of difficult to read about it on home pages, because they usually all look great on first view.
My suggestions so far are:try some very good programs like:
Duke
MD Anderson
Vanderbilt
Colorado
Alabama
Seattle

and

MUSC
Wake forest
Gainesville
New orleans
Utah
Kansas city
St Louis
Scottsdale

there are probably tons more out there but....

My fear is that I don't know how competitive I am with my CV. Most people say it all sounds good and no problem, but I had a hard time to get a residency position at first. Don't want to screw up get only few interviews. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

assuming you are an IMG and had no stellar USCE, getting residency was definitely a bigger deal than fellowship. for an IMG with green card, there are only few programs truly out of reach. i imagine your profile would fetch chance at many good places

FWIW, Hutch is the place to be for BMT. NIH would be a consideration if you wanted to be more research oriented. MDACC and MSKCC are good answers for pretty much all heme/onc.

most heme/onc folks want to stay away from BMT and it is totally hip to mention your interest in BMT - that makes you more desirable.

Thanks for the quick response and help. My chief told me to forget the top of the pops programs but ill try at MD Anderson at least, Seattle would be cool as well, but that sounds like not from this world to me at this moment. But you might be right at least to try, the big programs also take more fellows I believe. What would you guess might be a reasonable number of programs to apply to, assuming I'm gonna chose mostly the good or average programs to get enough interviews to be on the safe side. A friend of mine ( cards though), an IMG as well, applied for 70 programs, got 8 interviews though. I don't want to shoot to low....30-40 would be enough or go for more?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response and help. My chief told me to forget the top of the pops programs but ill try at MD Anderson at least, Seattle would be cool as well, but that sounds like not from this world to me at this moment. But you might be right at least to try, the big programs also take more fellows I believe. What would you guess might be a reasonable number of programs to apply to, assuming I'm gonna chose mostly the good or average programs to get enough interviews to be on the safe side. A friend of mine ( cards though), an IMG as well, applied for 70 programs, got 8 interviews though. I don't want to shoot to low....30-40 would be enough or go for more?

cards is a little different ballgame. generally speaking, what's the harm in applying broadly? once you receive interviews, you can always politely decline. i'd apply to all the programs you wouldn't mind being at, be it average, above average, or 'out of reach'. you never know what strikes with you in a program and/or city.

Hello, I am an IMG on a J1 visa and will start residency in IM in a mid-tier university-based program. I have no experience in research in US. For a competitive application in Hematology/Oncology, which type of research would be more yielding if I want to apply for fellowship during my residency: lab-based or clinical? Is it possible to do lab-based research during residency and get publications?

Is it possible to do lab-based research during residency and get publications?

it is so unlikely that it is almost impossible. you will spend 3/4 of the intern year trying to stay afloat on clinical wards. lab research is a different ball game and for most people it takes 2-3 years full time to be able to produce something meaningful. that is not to say that you can't get lucky and find a publishable project right away - i would keep my eyes open and not say no to any project that comes along.

Anybody interested to throw stones with me? I want to apply for a Heme/Onc program in July that is strong in BMT and malignant heme and provides good support for any clinical or lab research. Does not matter where, thanks to my wife. I'm an alien with a green card, doing residency in a good SE program. Not the strongest scores, but experienced in BMT and malignant heme ( 4 years Europe) and abstract/posters at ASC,, EBMT, 1 thesis written, 1 co- author paper, 1 x paper about to submit as 1st author about small clinical study. Have 1 good book chapter as 1st author, and I am doing lab research ( but not productive yet, needs so much time) and will have very good LoR. There are so many programs out there, that it is sort of difficult to read about it on home pages, because they usually all look great on first view.
My suggestions so far are:try some very good programs like:
Duke
MD Anderson
Vanderbilt
Colorado
Alabama
Seattle

and

MUSC
Wake forest
Gainesville
New orleans
Utah
Kansas city
St Louis
Scottsdale

there are probably tons more out there but....

My fear is that I don't know how competitive I am with my CV. Most people say it all sounds good and no problem, but I had a hard time to get a residency position at first. Don't want to screw up get only few interviews. Any thoughts?
My top 5 Hem/Onc programs with BMT are as follow:

NIH/NHLBI
UW Fred Hutchingson
Stanford Univ
Columbia = Mt Sinai
Fox Chase/Temple Univ.