Fellowship applications (during MD/PhD) for Intls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyluck2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a foreign student (CDN) thinking of starting an MD/PhD program in the US (2 acceptances thus far!). I know many of them encourage students to apply for fellowships (additional to MSTP), as there is a strong financial incentive and it is good for developing grant writing skills.

So far, the only fellowships for MD/PhDs in the U.S. seem to be for citizens and permanent residents (looking at the F30). I totally understand this preferential funding.

To any internationals pursuing an MD/PhD in the U.S. though : Have your program directors/administrators told you about any fellowships that we ARE eligible for?

I'm certainly not ungrateful for the financial aid already given - just wanted a fellowship as a career building platform.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically there are smaller predoc grants from private funding agencies. One of the larger sources as an example is:

http://my.americanheart.org/profess...Predoctoral-Fellowship_UCM_321828_Article.jsp

You may not be eligible for anything depending on your research type. Many variables play into predoc funding for MD/PhDs, and the majority do not get independent funding. I would say the impact on your future career in that case is essentially zero.