Fellowship-ERAS-MAtch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemo-man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I do agree with a previous post that there is a lot out there for residency matters, but I had a hard time locating anything pertaining to fellowships. I think it will be rally helpful to everybody to post their fellowship application experiences, so that we can exchange some helpful info, which is hitherto missing. I think this link should beopen for any speciality applications. The big day is ahead for programs to download apps...and then the waiting game. I think this will also serve the purpose to get to know things about programs which sometimes we are unaware of...which is crucial for career...
So lt us keep this link alive, and hope we can all contribute as much as we can. To start, I have applied to about 45 Heme/onc programs, and awaiting replies...hope it is sooner...long road ahead :-(

Members don't see this ad.

G'luck chemo man. I applied to 15 hemeonc/medonc programs. Tomorrow's the big day!

I am in as well. Applied to 24 Hem/Onc programs. We shall see. Do not expect too much though in the first couple of days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent 30 apps out for endocrine fellowships. Actually one program opened my file prior to 12/1... seems strange.

I applied to 30 programs in Pulmonary critical care fellowship positions. I am an FMG.

Wish good luck to all the fellowship aspirants.. Next few months wud be full of action ;)

netizen said:
I applied to 30 programs in Pulmonary critical care fellowship positions. I am an FMG.

Wish good luck to all the fellowship aspirants.. Next few months wud be full of action ;)

Have you checked to see if the programs have opened your apps?

about 50% have, but none of my LORs are uploaded yet. so I do not expect too much at this point. If at all, generic rejections based on me being an IMG.
But that hasn't happened so far, different from my experience with ERAS the last time applying for IM,when I had my 1st rejection 5 min after the program had downloaded my CAF, they hadn't even downloaded my PS at that point, let alone my USMLE transcript....that was funny i thought
anyway, be patient

germanIMG said:
about 50% have, but none of my LORs are uploaded yet. so I do not expect too much at this point. If at all, generic rejections based on me being an IMG.
But that hasn't happened so far, different from my experience with ERAS the last time applying for IM,when I had my 1st rejection 5 min after the program had downloaded my CAF, they hadn't even downloaded my PS at that point, let alone my USMLE transcript....that was funny i thought
anyway, be patient

Everything on mine was downloaded. Out of the 30 I sent to, only 5 have not opened yet. I am a IMG, who is a Perm. Resident. Are you a Perm Res?

endodoc said:
Everything on mine was downloaded. Out of the 30 I sent to, only 5 have not opened yet. I am a IMG, who is a Perm. Resident. Are you a Perm Res?
yup..I am . Seems to make a huge difference from what I heard as most of the programs finance their fellows through the NIH, which one is only eligible if citizen or perm. resident

hey kids, i'm one of the slow ones, still finishing up my application...

quick question -
when you assign stuff to each program, how do they get the MSPE/Transcript from my med school? i mean, do i need to contact my school or do they automatically get the info?

hope someone knows...

thanks!

gwen said:
hey kids, i'm one of the slow ones, still finishing up my application...

quick question -
when you assign stuff to each program, how do they get the MSPE/Transcript from my med school? i mean, do i need to contact my school or do they automatically get the info?

hope someone knows...

thanks!

I believe that you make a request through your med school and they'll send the x-cript to EFDO documents and then once they're received they'll upload it to each school you select as you designate.

About 1/3 of my programs downloaded everything yesterday, only 1 UC out of the bunch though... of course UCLA, UCI requested hard copy applications prior, but we'll see...

HDMTX said:
I believe that you make a request through your med school and they'll send the x-cript to EFDO documents and then once they're received they'll upload it to each school you select as you designate.

About 1/3 of my programs downloaded everything yesterday, only 1 UC out of the bunch though... of course UCLA, UCI requested hard copy applications prior, but we'll see...

What are you applying for?

germanIMG said:
yup..I am . Seems to make a huge difference from what I heard as most of the programs finance their fellows through the NIH, which one is only eligible if citizen or perm. resident

What area of the country did you apply? I sent to mainly high end programs in Endo. From East to West.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...nice to see some action. about 50-60% of my heme/onc apps have been downloaded, maybe some are still to get their act together, which hopefully will be sorted soon. We will try to keep this momentum going, and try to help eachother as best as we can. I am applying across the country for heme-onc, altho' with the match, I am not sure how many pgms should I apply to:-(. Good luck to everybody, let us keep it going...

20 of 35 have downloaded my application...including evrything

Can ne one tell me by what time we shd be hearing something?? neone with rejections or call in ne field... I am applying for pulmo n critical care

HDMTX said:
Heme/Onc --> West coast heavy

How is UC Irvine? I am applying there because of Joslin Diabetes Center. My focus and PhD is in diabetes and did a elective at Harvard Joslin Diabetes Center. I just wounder if you know anything about the medical center and area. I live near NYC, so high prices are something we live with!

endodoc said:
How is UC Irvine? I am applying there because of Joslin Diabetes Center. My focus and PhD is in diabetes and did a elective at Harvard Joslin Diabetes Center. I just wounder if you know anything about the medical center and area. I live near NYC, so high prices are something we live with!

I'm biased as I'm originally from Orange County near UCI so I love the area, but in regards to the program from an Endo point of view I don't think UCI is in the top 50 from this aspect, but the location is great, beautiful beaches, great weather, no hustle/bustle of L.A. per se. Housing and cost of living a bit more expensive in OC (the further south in OC the more expensive), but I'm not sure I'd call it as expensive as living in Manhattan.

HDMTX said:
I'm biased as I'm originally from Orange County near UCI so I love the area, but in regards to the program from an Endo point of view I don't think UCI is in the top 50 from this aspect, but the location is great, beautiful beaches, great weather, no hustle/bustle of L.A. per se. Housing and cost of living a bit more expensive in OC (the further south in OC the more expensive), but I'm not sure I'd call it as expensive as living in Manhattan.

Thanks for the info. I only sent to UCI because of Joslin Diabetes Center. Most of my others are from the top25, and the 5 safe programs (UCI is one).

netizen said:
20 of 35 have downloaded my application...including evrything

Can ne one tell me by what time we shd be hearing something?? neone with rejections or call in ne field... I am applying for pulmo n critical care

In the pulm/cc app cycle two years ago, most of the interviews took place in March and early April. I remember that the invites didn't happen until late January/early February. That was also the first year that pulm/cc used ERAS, which might have delayed the notification somewhat. But I'm pretty sure that last year's applicant group also was on approximately the same schedule.

AJM said:
In the pulm/cc app cycle two years ago, most of the interviews took place in March and early April. I remember that the invites didn't happen until late January/early February. That was also the first year that pulm/cc used ERAS, which might have delayed the notification somewhat. But I'm pretty sure that last year's applicant group also was on approximately the same schedule.

This is the first year Endo is using ERAS as well. So who knows what will happen.

endodoc said:
What area of the country did you apply? I sent to mainly high end programs in Endo. From East to West.
I pretty much applied to all top programs all over the country and then all mayor programs at the east coast.
But I am banking more on the New York, Philly and Baltimore triangle.
Wouldn't really want to move to the west coast

For Heme/Onc do you guys know what's average in terms of applicant numbers to a given program... as most places only have a few spots (with the exception of the big, big name programs like MSKCC, MDACC, etc). I was told last year at UCLA they had 500+ applicants for the 3 spots. These numbers freak me out a bit.

the average number of applicants for the bigger programs used to be around 200-300. With ERAS now making it easier to apply, it is a safe bet that at the big guns essentially everyone is applying. So think 500-600. In the end, the ratios are not very different from residency. Most prgrams invite about 10x the number of spots available.
UCLA only 3 spots? that would amaze me to say the least. In general the big guns have around 10 spots, i.e Dana farber, MSKCC, MDAnderson, Hopkins....
the Columbias, Penns and Dukes of this wolrd have 5-6 spots.
which makes one thing clear:
the most important step is to get invited. Once invited, your chances raise exponentially, as the match ranking will ensure an even distrbution of candidates over certain programs. So one better pulls all the strings possible to secure the invite

germanIMG said:
the average number of applicants for the bigger programs used to be around 200-300. With ERAS now making it easier to apply, it is a safe bet that at the big guns essentially everyone is applying. So think 500-600. In the end, the ratios are not very different from residency. Most prgrams invite about 10x the number of spots available.
UCLA only 3 spots? that would amaze me to say the least. In general the big guns have around 10 spots, i.e Dana farber, MSKCC, MDAnderson, Hopkins....
the Columbias, Penns and Dukes of this wolrd have 5-6 spots.
which makes one thing clear:
the most important step is to get invited. Once invited, your chances raise exponentially, as the match ranking will ensure an even distrbution of candidates over certain programs. So one better pulls all the strings possible to secure the invite

Mmm.. which strings are those? LoL, j/k. Yah, UCLA advertises 5 spots, but 2 are GI or geri onc spots, I forget which.

How many applicants do you think go unmatched?

I think it is great that they got smart and started this thread for fellows!! I sent an email about 6 months ago req. this. Finally we got it, so lets use it and share what we are all going through.

Hey Guys, Have anyone applied to U of AZ and Baylor College of Medicine for Hemonc? They use paper application for this year. I sent them my application 1.5 months ago, but did not hear anything back. All my letters were sent to them already as well. It makes me nervous.

Same here too....I have sent the paper apps, and they said they'll contact if selected for interview...unsure as to what exactly is going on:-(, are they still reviewing or else ???? Let us hope for the best.

chemo-man said:
Same here too....I have sent the paper apps, and they said they'll contact if selected for interview...unsure as to what exactly is going on:-(, are they still reviewing or else ???? Let us hope for the best.

I sent my app into AZ about 3 wks ago .... haven't heard despite emailing them.