Fellowship interview changes due to Pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teeko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on applying for PEM fellowship this year and wondering if anyone has heard about changes or changed their mind about applying this year due to changes?

I know that ERAS recommended this past week that all residency programs conduct interviews virtually including for local applicants.

Wondering about thoughts of negative effects this would have on the chances of matching.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also wondering if anyone has heard about fellowship interviews being virtual?

Per my PD, applications may be released later to programs but we should know more sometime next week? I hope this isn’t the case.

OP: everyone in my class planning to apply to fellowship is still going to do so this cycle

Our program is doing virtual interviews this season. I doubt it’ll make any difference toward matching as everyone has the same virtual handicap. Just treat it like an actual interview (no distractions, wear pants, etc.)

On the plus side, you don’t have to travel and go to the ridiculous dinners that most fellowships make you go through.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Our program is doing virtual interviews this season. I doubt it’ll make any difference toward matching as everyone has the same virtual handicap. Just treat it like an actual interview (no distractions, wear pants, etc.)

On the plus side, you don’t have to travel and go to the ridiculous dinners that most fellowships make you go through.

Oh wow. Thanks for the heads up !

Agreed. Disadvantages in my opinion:
1- Applicants unable to explore programs, facilities, cities, etc.
2- Programs not getting to know applicants as well in comparison to before.

My institution has all but committed to virtual interviews for both residency and fellowship. Might hurt us a bit because we have to convince people that the location is worth coming, but we'll see.

There is no doubt that the disadvantages will be substantial and that there will be a natural "home court" advantage, especially for small programs where the known local will have a bigger than usual advantage. In addition to the obvious things, focus on making sure someone at your home program can really speak for you both in writing, and, in some cases, by putting in a call on your behalf. This is always a possibility but I think will be more important this year where it will be more difficult for candidates and programs to really evaluate each other. Also, if the program offers you the chance to talk to current fellows, do it, preferably with a visual program like zoom.

The loss of the lunches and dinners is the best part of all this. The loss of the chance to have a lot of small conversations with fellows, etc is the biggest negative.

I am in PEM and our program is doing everything virtual and we were told that all PEM programs will be virtual. don't know about other fellowships but I would expect it this year.

Found some helpful guides from the AAMC regarding virtual interviews this cycle. All of this is very obvious/ you already probably know to do all this, but might be helpful for some.

I think one thing to be mindful of is the lighting in your room where you will be doing your interview. Might be worth it to invest in like a led lamp of some sort to ensure good lighting. Do a test run to make sure everything looks good.