Fellowship matching - Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious, is most of your ability to match a fellowship determined in residency?

Do basic sciences honors matter much for fellowships or is it mostly Step 1 / rotations honors / research OR is it mostly your performance / connections in residency?

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're a middle ranked student in IM does that mean your fellowship chances are much lower or is it more dependent on after med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just curious, is most of your ability to match a fellowship determined in residency?

Do basic sciences honors matter much for fellowships or is it mostly Step 1 / rotations honors / research OR is it mostly your performance / connections in residency?

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're a middle ranked student in IM does that mean your fellowship chances are much lower or is it more dependent on after med school?

It's dependent on everything. Much more on your clinical ability (M3/4 and residency) than basic science. Although if your basic science grades nuke your class standing, that's a bad thing.

for people who already had some interviews, do u mind sharing what the most common question are? and how should I prepare myself for the whole process?