Fellowship Opening for January 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is an unexpected opening at Dr. Furman's fellowship in Pennsylvania -

It is a one year fellowship starting January 2, 2011. His fellowship is a sports and spine fellowship with emphasis on interventional spine care and MSK medicine.

If interest, contact [email protected]

I rotated with Dr. Furman as a student and have known him for many years now - he is a good teacher and I learned a lot from him - not just about clinical management and procedures but also about how to navigate the politics of medicine, what to look for in job opportunities, etc. Although he is in private practice, he has contributed to the literature and is always working on projects - which means you will also have the chance to contribute to clinically relevant research. He also treats his fellows like family and you will be part of the "family" forever once you train with him.

When PM&R residents look for fellowships - I think the most important thing to consider is what you plan on doing after the fellowship. Do you want academics? private practice? where? in what type of setting? I don't think that this fellowship is for those who want to pursue a purely academic career or for those looking for a train to work type opportunity (i.e. train then stay). Most of this program's graduates have gone on to private practice in various settings including multispecialty, single specialty, small group, large group, etc. His practice is in a large multispecialty (primarily orthopedic) group. Hope this information is useful.

Please email them with questions.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a one year fellowship starting January 2, 2011. His fellowship is a sports and spine fellowship with emphasis on interventional spine care and MSK medicine.

I rotated with Dr. Furman as a student and have known him for many years now - he is a good teacher and I learned a lot from him - not just about clinical management and procedures but also about how to navigate the politics of medicine, what to look for in job opportunities, etc. Although he is in private practice, he has contributed to the literature and is always working on projects - which means you will also have the chance to contribute to clinically relevant research. He also treats his fellows like family and you will be part of the "family" forever once you train with him.

When PM&R residents look for fellowships - I think the most important thing to consider is what you plan on doing after the fellowship. Do you want academics? private practice? where? in what type of setting? I don't think that this fellowship is for those who want to pursue a purely academic career or for those looking for a train to work type opportunity (i.e. train then stay). Most of this program's graduates have gone on to private practice in various settings including multispecialty, single specialty, small group, large group, etc. His practice is in a large multispecialty (primarily orthopedic) group. Hope this information is useful.

Sounds like a great fellowship program. I wish it was for July/2012 though :)

-ML

The fellowship always starts in Jan or is Jan just for this year? Usually fellowships start in July. Is this just an off-cycle one?

The fellowship always starts in Jan or is Jan just for this year? Usually fellowships start in July. Is this just an off-cycle one?

Pain fellowship has two starting dates: Jan and July.

-ML