Jun 17, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it just me, or it is a lot more difficult to write PS in under a page on ERAS now? My PS is 758 words and it is about 1 page + 1 paragraph. My residency PS was longer and was well under 1 page. I guess they changed the spacing or font size since a few years ago? Any tips/recommendations?

Thanks.

Animalcules

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You are overthinking it. But I am sure you could cut back a paragraph and distill it down if you spend another hour on it. Let someone else read it.

Jun 17, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You are overthinking it. But I am sure you could cut back a paragraph and distill it down if you spend another hour on it. Let someone else read it.
I have tried and it’s very difficult to do so. It’s “only” 5 paragraphs. Are there any fellowship PDs or chief residents in here that can give an idea of what they look for?

About the Ads

Animalcules

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It depends what you are applying to. A top, research-heavy academic fellowship position, a community program, etc. You need to tailor to where you are applying at what you are looking for. Do you have someone who you trust that can read and edit it for you?

Jun 17, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It depends what you are applying to. A top, research-heavy academic fellowship position, a community program, etc. You need to tailor to where you are applying at what you are looking for. Do you have someone who you trust that can read and edit it for you?
I’m not looking for a research heavy program, community is fine or lower-tier Uni. My letter is tailored well but just struggling to trim it down and so are others. Will keep trying I guess.

WinslowPringle

5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is no personal statement I’ve ever read that was *that* good that it had to be longer than one page. It’s a personal statement, not a Dickens write-alike attempt.

Remove adverbs and adjectives. Remove any “purple prose” about helping people. If you’ve dedicated a whole paragraph to developing a simile or metaphor or showcasing your work with starving orphans in low SES countries, cut the paragraph to a sentence or remove entirely. Don’t repeat yourself outside of tying paragraphs together or your final tie-in. Aggressively outline the thing and cull the things that don’t fit. Have someone read it for you.

Reactions: Drip

guytakingboards

2+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
There is no personal statement I’ve ever read that was *that* good that it had to be longer than one page. It’s a personal statement, not a Dickens write-alike attempt.

Remove adverbs and adjectives. Remove any “purple prose” about helping people. If you’ve dedicated a whole paragraph to developing a simile or metaphor or showcasing your work with starving orphans in low SES countries, cut the paragraph to a sentence or remove entirely. Don’t repeat yourself outside of tying paragraphs together or your final tie-in. Aggressively outline the thing and cull the things that don’t fit. Have someone read it for you.
Total agreement.

Call it overdirect but i don't like a lot of fluff in personal statements. When I wrote my fellowship statement I stuck to the tried and true 5 paragrapher:

1) Intro
2) Why I'm interested in the field
3) Humblebrag/CV regurg of why I'm awesome (for the job)
4) What I hope to see/learn in fellowship
5) Conclusion - wrap up and maybe touching on future career plans like academics vs PP.

Keep it succinct and on point.

About the Ads