fellowship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I have yet one more fellowship question to ask. I was wondering about the timing of military fellowships. Do most military docs apply for fellowships right out of residency, or after serving for a few years? I was hoping to work as a general opthalmologist for a few years before doing a fellowship and want to make sure that it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage in the application process. Would it help if I was at the end of my four year comitment and said something like "either let me do the fellowship with the army, or I'll just deactivate and do it as a civilian,"? Or would that just piss the brass off?
 
If you don't mind incurring the full-time outservice (FTOS) obligation, then you will be a better specialist and asset to do a fellowship after serving some time as a general ophtho. With fellowships for subspecialties, however, it is important to know who your competition is. Residency program directors are or connected to the Service specialty consultants to the Surgeon General of whatever service. They may have someone in mind for the fellowship already. The program director may even tell you to wait a year or two and you will be considered.
I don't think it will matter if you serve your 4 years and then ask to do a FTOS - you shouldn't tick off anybody