Fellowship traning abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHMer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with opportunities for fellowship training abroad. In browsing various program websites, I've noticed attendings who have done their fellowships overseas (australia, new zealand, UK).

Are these fellowships difficult to obtain? Are they recognized if/when you return to the US? Is the format similar (1 year, focused training)? Any first hand or anecdotal knowledge on this would be much appreciated.

I love travel and living in knew locations, and would love to live abroad while bolstering my training if my life will still permit it in four years. I've tried looking online, but I'm not sure which universities abroad support this, and many of their websites are generally not very extensive.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with opportunities for fellowship training abroad. In browsing various program websites, I've noticed attendings who have done their fellowships overseas (australia, new zealand, UK).

Are these fellowships difficult to obtain? Are they recognized if/when you return to the US? Is the format similar (1 year, focused training)? Any first hand or anecdotal knowledge on this would be much appreciated.

I love travel and living in knew locations, and would love to live abroad while bolstering my training if my life will still permit it in four years. I've tried looking online, but I'm not sure which universities abroad support this, and many of their websites are generally not very extensive.

Thanks!!

The only "real" fellowships in Anesthesia are pain and intensive care, and I don't think training in a non US program would qualify you to sit for the exams in these fellowships except for Canadian training "maybe".
On the other hand, after you finish your residency, you can go train anywhere, and print business cards with your new qualifications and hang your certificates on any wall you choose.

I think most places in europe would accept you

if you have a grant they will kiss your a$$
if you don't they'll find a way to underpay you and will be happy with the low cost labor

I think the best way is to figure out which country you want to live/work in and contact the head of department directly.