fellowships after OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny_blaze

And my name is hawkeye
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a friend who’s starting dentistry soon who asked me about fellowship opportunities following a residency in OMFS (if there are any). I’m a medic and I’m not very well informed about this specialty in particular… so I thought I’d ask you guys.

So anyway I was just wondering if someone could list the fellowships you can do after OMFS, how long they would take to finish, and whether its better to do the 4-year or 6 year/MD course to make it easier to get into.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

johnny_blaze said:
Hi everyone.

I have a friend who’s starting dentistry soon who asked me about fellowship opportunities following a residency in OMFS (if there are any). I’m a medic and I’m not very well informed about this specialty in particular… so I thought I’d ask you guys.

So anyway I was just wondering if someone could list the fellowships you can do after OMFS, how long they would take to finish, and whether its better to do the 4-year or 6 year/MD course to make it easier to get into.

Thanks guys

Fellowships in OMFS include trauma, craniofacial, cancer, cosmetic, pediatric omfs; all are either one to two years and usually require an MD. My advise would be to pass histology before he starts worrying about this.

omfsres said:
Fellowships in OMFS include trauma, craniofacial, cancer, cosmetic, pediatric omfs; all are either one to two years and usually require an MD. My advise would be to pass histology before he starts worrying about this.

You said they usually require and MD. Are all of these fellowships regulated by the ADA or the AMA? How is a OMFS craniofacial fellowship different from a plastics craniofacial fellowship? Are they dual accredited?

Members don't see this ad :)
OzDDS said:
You said they usually require and MD. Are all of these fellowships regulated by the ADA or the AMA? How is a OMFS craniofacial fellowship different from a plastics craniofacial fellowship? Are they dual accredited?

I think Miami will accept a DDS only for their cancer fellowship. OMFS is regulated by the ADA council of graduate dental studies, the AMA has nothing to do with us. However, I believe the OMFS fellowships are regulated more specifically by the American Assoc of Oral Surgery. Dr. Posnic (spelling?) has the only OMFS craniofacial fellowship I am aware of and the training should be no different or superior to a plastics craniofacial fellowship. Superior in the fact that we have been to dental school and have a better understanding of any surgery that may adjust someone's occlusion.

johnny_blaze said:
Hi everyone.

Thanks guys

That's roughly eight years away-----plenty of time to figure that out. ;) But they might want to focus on how to wax #30 first. :laugh:

tx oms said:
I think Miami will accept a DDS only for their cancer fellowship. OMFS is regulated by the ADA council of graduate dental studies, the AMA has nothing to do with us. However, I believe the OMFS fellowships are regulated more specifically by the American Assoc of Oral Surgery. Dr. Posnic (spelling?) has the only OMFS craniofacial fellowship I am aware of and the training should be no different or superior to a plastics craniofacial fellowship. Superior in the fact that we have been to dental school and have a better understanding of any surgery that may adjust someone's occlusion.

Doesn't Univ. Pitt still have that craniofacial fellowship that accepts both plastic surgeons and OMFS's? So I've heard...

River13 said:
Doesn't Univ. Pitt still have that craniofacial fellowship that accepts both plastic surgeons and OMFS's? So I've heard...
Pitt still has one for OMS, no plastic surgeons though. It is a craniofacial 1yr fellowship under Dr. Costello.

tjb

if one is an oms, but they did not obtain an MD, prior posts seem to be implying that they are severly limited in the fellowships they are eligible to attend. if one of these oral surgeons wanted to become more proficient in cosmetics or orthognathics, how do they obtain this extra training? do they do this through CE? or are they mostly relegated to shucking teeth?

koobpheej said:
if one is an oms, but they did not obtain an MD, prior posts seem to be implying that they are severly limited in the fellowships they are eligible to attend. if one of these oral surgeons wanted to become more proficient in cosmetics or orthognathics, how do they obtain this extra training? do they do this through CE? or are they mostly relegated to shucking teeth?
They will be proficient in orthognathics, but could always attend CE. I am unaware of fellowships focusing on orthognathics. If you do not have an MD your ability to do cosmetics is mostly limited by where you live, not your training--though I don't think many 4 year programs see lots of cosmetic surgery.

PS--why is everyone so in love with cosmetics? I have no desire.

tx oms said:
Amen to that. These guys need to quit watching all that TV. I am doing that stuff in residency just to pull my share of the caseload. Those patients are so needy and have to be babied. I just want to cut stuff up and go home. I know they pay cash, but it's still not worth the headache of dealing with those type of people. Not to mention the fact that cosmetics procedures are infinately boring. A big whack with a neck dissection and a flap just appeals to me more on every level.

tx oms said:

That is only because you are ugly; and you want everyone to be like you. :laugh: