Fellowships in Pathology subspeciality by IMG...

Started by maminr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maminr

Junior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there. I am an overseas asian doc doing training(residency) in Anatomical(histopathology) Pathology in UK. I am interested to do fellowship in US for 1-2 years. Can anyone, esp any IMG, please give me an idea about how easy/difficult it could be to get into a US fellowship training in Pathology if someone is trained outside US(e.g., UK). Will I need USMLE, and thus ECFMG to be eligible for applying? If accepted will it be a paid fellowship or I will have to look for my own sponsorship? Is it only open to those pathologists trained in US??
 
maminr, sorry I can't be more helpful, but I suspect the best place to look for information like this is through FRIEDA (Google that) and then through individual fellowship program/institutional websites.

I think it will be a long process (including writing all USMLE Steps, visa application and timing to catch the match cycle for the appropriate year) but the fellowship will be a paid position.

US institutions tend to prefer applicants with US clinical experience. You will probably recognize the significance of that.
 
deschutes said:
maminr, sorry I can't be more helpful, but I suspect the best place to look for information like this is through FRIEDA (Google that) and then through individual fellowship program/institutional websites.

I think it will be a long process (including writing all USMLE Steps, visa application and timing to catch the match cycle for the appropriate year) but the fellowship will be a paid position.

US institutions tend to prefer applicants with US clinical experience. You will probably recognize the significance of that.

When I was at Brigham, Fletcher had an Irish citizen (a cute blonde 😍 ) as his fellow. Dunno how it works, would help if you were stunningly gorgeous I imagine.
 
LADoc00 said:
When I was at Brigham, Fletcher had an Irish citizen (a cute blonde 😍 ) as his fellow. Dunno how it works, would help if you were stunningly gorgeous I imagine.
Hmm. I had not thought of that. You mean with stilettoed legs up to my armpits and pouty lips and blonde hair falling in waves to my cute little butt, I really didn't need to go through all that med school??