Fellowships

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by Dr. M, May 30, 2008.

1. Dr. M

Medical Student
    Hi everyone!

I am starting my residency in ob/gyn soon and I have heard that in addition to fellowships in MFM, Gyn Onc, and REI, there are one year trainings in breast disease and laparoscopic surgery. I am not sure yet if I want to do a fellowship, but I am interested in learning about doing a year of breast disease or learning to improve my skills in laparoscopy. Have any of you heard anything about it? Also, if I was interested in doing a fellowship, but not really sure as it which one, would it be in my best interest to do different research topics in both areas versus choosing just one? I am interested in onc and rei, but i know both are very hard to get into. Would it be safe to say that I should connect with the gyn onc dept and rei dept early in my intern year and begin to involve myself in those areas?

And I have another question that is not fellowship related: What if you don't want to go into fellowship and want to practice general ob? I have heard that I can use a recruiting company to find jobs once I graduate residency, but then do creogs and all the other components that are important for applying to fellowship become as big a factor in applying for jobs?

Thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Yes, you can do a year-long fellowship in MIS (minimally invasive surgery = laparoscopy).

SOME breast surgery places will accept people from either general surgery OR Ob/gyn. Most breast surgery fellowships, though, will not accept people from Ob/gyn - only people who have done general surgery residencies.