Felony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shali2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in trouble for credit card fraud felony 9 years ago and they put me through a diversion program.Once i completed the program successfully than I didnt get charged with the crime, if i didnt I would go to court and be charged. There was also a misde. with this. Will this hurt me? FOr med school or liscensing?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to a lawyer to see if it would appear on a background check.

Shali, I posted this on another thread too but I'll say it again: Would it be possible to get your record expunged? If it was a one-time offense and was a long time ago, you might be able to get your record completely wiped clean. I have a friend in medical school now who was arrested for shoplifting when she was a senior in high school; she too went through a diversion program. I am not sure whether she was convicted of anything or not; I believe, like you said, that the diversion program and community service that she did was in lieu of a conviction. After she completed the program, her lawyer petitioned the court to have her record expunged. I don't know if, given your situation, it would be possible to do the same thing, but it might be worth looking into. Otherwise, yes, I believe criminal convictions are a significant hurdle in the med school application process. There are a few other threads on this, if you want to read others' stories.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how you'd explain this one: Statutory Rape. Gosh, I actually DO know people who were arrested for this.. when they were 18 or 19 and had sex with their 16, 17 year old GF and got busted by the girl's parents. Well, they were idiots doing it in her house.

Furthermore, would that actually help you because it would make the interviewer feel pity on you? :thumbup:

TTSD said:
I wonder how you'd explain this one: Statutory Rape. Gosh, I actually DO know people who were arrested for this.. when they were 18 or 19 and had sex with their 16, 17 year old GF and got busted by the girl's parents. Well, they were idiots doing it in her house.

Furthermore, would that actually help you because it would make the interviewer feel pity on you? :thumbup:

Now that's a thought. I think I'll go screw a 16 yr old right now, see if it helps me get into Harvard :laugh: :thumbup:

shali2005 said:
I got in trouble for credit card fraud felony 9 years ago and they put me through a diversion program.Once i completed the program successfully than I didnt get charged with the crime, if i didnt I would go to court and be charged. There was also a misde. with this. Will this hurt me? FOr med school or liscensing?

You can go to the local court and ask for a printout on all of your background records. Since you are requesting it for yourself, it won't be a problem. If it doesn't appear on the record....you're good to go.

If it does...then i really don't know what else to tell you besides speaking with a lawyer

But if you do have a felony on your record and you're unable to expunge it....it will cause a lot of problems for you. First of all, you have to state it on your AMCAS....2nd of all, mostly all schools ask this on their secondaries.

If all goes well and an adcom admits you to medical school, you'll run into problems with residencies without a doubt and with licensing.

w/ misdeamenors..it shouldn't affect you...but who would want a felon as their physician? i don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the reality of it.

TheProwler said:
take pics!

Make it TWO felony counts and then HOW many years on the Sex Offenders list?

Usually, a diversion program (where you do community service) results in a conviction being dismissed. For example, you plead guilty to the crime, do the community service, then the judge dismisses your conviction. The end result is that you can say "NO" to the question, 'have you ever been convicted of a crime?'

Expungement is usually reserved for those who have been incorrectly ACCUSED of a crime. For example, you are accussed of rape, your goto trial, and are acquited, OR the prosecutor dismisses the charges. Prior to this occuring, you may have been finger printed and/or photographed. Expunging your record will result in those records being destroyed or at least removed from the publics view. BUT, if you've been convicted of a crime (and even if you did the diversion program), you generally can't have your conviction expunged (again, it's primarily for the innocent).

My advice is free, but it's based on what I know about the state of Virginia. You should definitely ask a lawyer for advice who knows the laws in your state. Alternatively, you can sometimes get good advice from google's answer service.

Good luck.