Felony (what are my chances)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anemed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was 18, I made a really horrible mistake and was convicted of (credit card fraud) which is a felony. That is the only thing that I have been in trouble for. I have completely changed my life around since then and I want to go after my dream of being an anesthesiologist. I am now 20, and I am worried after I get out of undergrad school will I even be able to move further with med school and then the future after that. This will be in Florida, has anyone known anyone to be successful with a felony to give me any hope, and what do you all truly recommend me to do?

Members don't see this ad.

You have an insurmountable obstacle ahead. Odds are you won’t be able to get through bc of your felony. I’m sorry but a conviction involving fraud is telling of ones character, and in a profession involving all sorts of moral and ethical standards, it’s an immediate app killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it's 100% impossible but it's something that will definitely not happen for awhile. Fraud/deception/forgery of any kind is a very big deal in medicine. It will be hard to show that you've changed if this is something that happened recently.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I mean I understand it’s not going to be easy at all, but I am determined. Also, it’s been 2 years, and by the time I apply for med school itll be another 4 years. By the time that apply for a license 14 years.

When I was 18, I made a really horrible mistake and was convicted of (credit card fraud) which is a felony. That is the only thing that I have been in trouble for. I have completely changed my life around since then and I want to go after my dream of being an anesthesiologist. I am now 20, and I am worried after I get out of undergrad school will I even be able to move further with med school and then the future after that. This will be in Florida, has anyone known anyone to be successful with a felony to give me any hope, and what do you all truly recommend me to do?

The only teenagers I knew who were interested in anesthesiology saw it as a doorway to money and drugs.

Every year there are one or two successful applicants with felony convictions, but they probably have unusual stories and lots of mitigating factors.

Whether or not you try to get into medical school, you should start looking into getting your felony expunged (or at least sealed). The fact that you were young, and putting in a few years of good behavior, might make this feasible. Find an attorney who is experienced in these matters and get a consultation.

Reactions: 12 users
I think that you're goin to have to put a lot of time between now and your applying to med school. Lead an exemplary life, and especially have positions of responsibility.

The problems you are facing are two-fold; Adcoms will ask:

Is this the type of person we want in our class?

What take a risk on this kid when we have so many other applicants who haven't committed felonies.

While I am loath to say that your medical career is over it is in deep stasis for the time being.

Reactions: 9 users
People have a very hard time getting into school for non-criminal activity, let alone a felony. Be honest with yourself, medical school will not happen in the immediate future. You need a complete reinvention that will likely need 5+ years of full time work before you even consider applying. If you still want to be a physician + great gpa/mcat, you may start to be considered but there is no guarantees.

Reactions: 2 users
Reality check. 2 years is not a long time.

There are thousands of smart hard working students you’re competing against who didn’t commit a crime that requires serious deceit and premeditation. Again... deceit and premeditation... adcoms have an interest in protecting the public and their school, I’d find another pursuit.

Reactions: 10 users
It will never happen.

NEVER.

Don't waste your energy on a pipe dream.

Move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Consult a lawyer. In most states, you would not be able to get licensed to practice medicine if you have a felony for fraud.

Hello OP. Another thing to keep in mind about your situation is that you may face difficulty at every step. Many students with a horrible red flag apply to Caribbean for medical school and then face the problem of not finding residency. In fact, a family friend received a DUI twice about 7 years ago and had to go Caribbean for medical school because no medical school in the States would accept him. He graduated me school in 2016 and still cannot find a residency willing to accept him. Even if you find a residency, you will have trouble getting a license, and then have trouble getting a job. This obstacle will just continue to be there.

The fact that your felony doesn't stem from a drug charge may make your goals a bit more likely. But nonetheless, it will be very difficult. Credit card fraud is a serious crime - you selfishly stole from people to satisfy your wants. You won't be able apply (and get in) four years from now, like your non-felon classmates could. Your best bet is to be an otherwise exemplary candidate (excellent grades, MCAT and research) and to put in at least 10 years of being an exemplary citizen, going above and beyond to help your community. It would be wise to develop other, more feasible professional goals, as you work on reforming your reputation. Of course, speak to a lawyer about the possibility of expungement.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need time...like a decade or more, a spotless record from here on out and proving that you can be dependable to have any real hope.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of reinvention, but I'm not sure it's possible for you. Fraud is a big deal. If there is anything else you can see yourself doing, do that.

If you really want medicine, you need to put some time and good behavior between you and your crime. Maybe join the Peace Corps after college. It will put some time between you and your crimes, show you are a decent person, will change you for the better whether you get into medical school or not, and is a hell of a life experience.

Two years seems long to you because you are quite young, but is no time at all to those of us who are twice or three times your age and considering your application. You’ve got like 8 more years of excellent behavior and accomplishments to put behind you, I think.

Reactions: 5 users
You need time...like a decade or more, a spotless record from here on out and proving that you can be dependable to have any real hope.

OP I want you to concentrate on the word spotless. You're pretty much under the water with your current situation and it will take you several years to even get to the point of being on thin ice. Anything from here on out will literally ruin chances of redemption.

OP I want you to concentrate on the word spotless. You're pretty much under the water with your current situation and it will take you several years to even get to the point of being on thin ice. Anything from here on out will literally ruin chances of redemption.

A felony for fraud is beyond redemption. My vote is that there is no way in hell this kid is going to become a doctor.

Sorry for being so blunt. But seriously, come on.

Reactions: 3 users
it’s been 2 years, and by the time I apply for med school itll be another 4 years. By the time that apply for a license 14 years.

The issue won’t be when you apply for a license, it would be when you apply to med school and have the background check. and many states won’t issue licenses to those with felonies on their records. If I remember correctly, years ago, a man who had been guilty of kidnapping had received his medical license in Indiana. Quite the scandal and laws changed to prevent those with felonies from getting licensed.

Was this your first offense??? Seems like it must have been a serious credit card fraud operation or not your first offense, otherwise I would imagine that the charges would have been reduced.

Are you still on probation

Last edited:
Guys she was 18 when she did it. Not everyone matures at the same age. Please, let's keep this professional.

Regarding your question OP, I think you should consider other careers because medicine is not happening within at least the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Guys she was 18 when she did it. Not everyone matures at the same age. Please, let's keep this professional.

Regarding your question OP, I think your should consider other careers because medicine is not happening within at least the next 10 years.
You’re right I deleted it haha my bad thieving is a pet peeve

I’m not saying right now, I’m saying once I got to undergrad school in 4 more years will it be possible to get into a med school

I’m not saying right now, I’m saying once I got to undergrad school in 4 more years will it be possible to get into a med school

Realistically OP nobody can answer this question, especially over the internet. It depends completely on your specific situation such as:

1) Why you did it
2) How you did it
3) Specifics of the charges
4) Whether your record gets expunged
5) What schools you apply to
6) How you plead your case
7) Other things on your application
8) How much time you let go by
9) Probably 10 other things I can't think off the top of my head right now

Real-world problems like these don't follow a black and white pattern. They are complicated. Right now, what you need to understand is that it will be a long, difficult road for you that doesn't stop just at med school, but also throughout getting licensed and employed. You will be fighting an uphill battle and if you really want to be a doctor that bad then more power to you but you really need to ask yourself if it's worth spending your entire 20's just to get into med school, which will be just the beginning. But most importantly remember that even getting in is not a guarantee.

EDIT: Before someone starts calling me out by saying something like "why she did it doesn't matter!" or "the school she applies to doesn't matter!" yada yada yada.... just get off the internet and go outside. The real world is complicated and there's no point in being a reductionist and invalidating context by saying that all situations of a particular type are created equal.

Last edited:
You're basically asking if you'll be treated like every other non-felon who applies after undergrad. You won't be, because you committed the felony of credit card fraud. You'll need to do far more and wait a lot longer to even have shot, which is why many people here are suggesting that you consider alternative careers.

There are very few scenarios in which I can see an adcom thinking, "Hmm, which of these highly qualified and motivated applicants do I want in my MD/DO program? I'll go with...the felon." You'd have to be a truly extraordinary applicant, like you know that not-actually-existent applicant who cured cancer that people reference when they're being hyperbolic about the requirements to get into medical school? You'd have to actually be that person.

As others have said, almost certainly no. You probably need a decade or more of totally spotless behavior, and even then it'll be an uphill battle every step of the way. Your crime wasn't a victimless one, it was one that involved not caring if you destroyed another person to get what you wanted. Actions have consequences.

The legislatures in the US have seen what happens when a kid gets caught up in a criminal enterprise at a young age and is forever branded with a felony conviction. It cuts off avenues of opportunity and creates career criminals. Therefore, laws have been passed that makes it possible to clear one's record of first time offenses that occurred at a young age. Circumstances where this can be done vary by state and by the type of crime so I would advise the OP to consult a lawyer to see if this record can be sealed or expunged.

Although you are in Florida, you might consider becoming a resident of Oregon or Illinois which prohibits applications from asking about sealed or expunged felony records (see the AMCAS Instructions for more information).

Reactions: 10 users

Your posts are confusing. You’re currently 20. Are you saying that you haven’t started undergrad yet? Are you starting as a college freshman in the fall? If so, are you asking if when you apply to med school (which would be about 6 years post crime), would it be possible to get into a med school? Not sure if 6 years would be enough time.

Are you currently on probation?

If you haven’t yet started college, then some of this conversation is premature. Who knows how you’ll do in the premed prereqs. You may find the coursework too difficult. Most freshman premeds get weeded out.

How strong was your high school math and science foundation?

It's easier to steal credit cards from people when they are sedated. Also, there are several avenues for addressing this that show sincere remorse. Community service outside of court orders is the most immediate that comes as a no brainer. As for medical schools, there is sadly always a shot that you can go through school. But whether you can get through to residency and become employable is another story all together.

Any chance you can have your felony expunged/sealed? If not then you have absolutely no chance of becoming a doctor.

I think that you should have something that can help you besides the passage of time, and that would be enlisting in the Armed Forces, or joining the Peace Corps.

I'd want to see service in the Armed Forces, Peace Corps, and extensive volunteer experience outside of said service. I'd also probably only consider if you were 28 or older. I'd need to think, "Wow. This person has undeniably changed and has done zer's best to prove they are ready for medical school."

What everyone is saying about you having basically no chance is true, but for the sake of being a little bit helpful, if you were to make it your app needs to be exemplary. Like 520+ MCAT, 4.0 GPA, great LOR, 1st author publications, tons of volunteering, interesting story. You've already given them an easy way to say no, so the only way you have a chance is to be so perfect on paper that they have to accept you.

Look at it this way, you need multiple things on your application that stick out more than that felony.

Then you can start worrying about issues actually being able to get a license.

There a very simple answer to this question, which depends on one factor:

Can you get it expunged?

IF YES, your chances are “technically possible, but realistically, it’s never happening.” Medical schools will still probably see your expunged 18+ record, and residencies definitely will.

This is because you’re still technically eligible for licensure. That being said, even with a long, spotless record of good deeds, people will look at you with suspicion because it was FRAUD. Meaning that you’re a DECEPTIVE character. It would actually be BETTER if it were for drugs or even robbery, because that’s the kind of thing people can realistically overcome and make good on.

No one’s gonna take the risk of accepting a dude literally convicted of being a sneaky liar. Honesty is literally one of the bare-minimum requirements in medicine.

People bring up a good point: There is literally no American medical school that will ever take you. Some shady Caribbean schools may be happy to take your loan money, but an American residency program? Nah uh. Not happening.

And obviously if you can’t get it expunged, you’re ineligable for licensure in all 50 states.

Please dont go down this road unless you 100% could not be happy doing anything else with your life. You are starting down a long and difficult path that will not stop. I'm stressed as hell and I have NO red flags whatsoever. Getting into medical school may be the least of your worries. State licensing boards will ask you all sorts of questions about this felony no matter how much time has passed. They are not required to give you a license after residency. They do not view being a doctor the same way most jobs are viewed. And as such are not bound to some of the many rights that most workers have in a job. And I have no idea how things like malpractice insurance and individual hospitals privaleges work with a felony.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose!

Being unable to become a physician is a small price to pay for putting an innocent person in serious financial jeopardy.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, OP.

Reactions: 5 users
The questions I would ask, as an adcom, are:
  • Will this person commit fraud again as a physician to get higher billing from Medicare/Medicaid?
  • Can we trust this person to be around Schedule I drugs, especially as an Anesthesiologist?
  • Can we trust this patient to handle billing in general?
Those are just I came up with. I'm just a premed, so my knowledge is very limited; but so far, with only 6 years (minimum) that you'll have under your belt, I would be very, very cautious about accepting you. I don't know your background (if you come from a bad place that promoted this) or what you went through, however, this may not be acceptable.

I hope you do get in down the line, if you show you're not that kind of person anymore. I'm a nontrad trying to make it myself, so I'm a firm believer in 2nd chances and redemption. Best of luck OP.