Felony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that picture is a huge pile of weed, not coke. So, while it's worth a lot of money, it's nowhere near a billion.

Nevertheless, you could film a lot of sequels to "Up in Smoke" with that stash.
I'd guess around 1.8 million around here, assuming you sold it all as prerolled joints........ :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I can settle this. A felony conviction of any type, renders one ineligible for licensure. Soooo...even if this person somehow got into med school and then somehow got into residency, he/she would not be able to get a license to practice medicine. Also, without a license, you obviously can't apply for a DEA number. Arrests and misdemeanors are gray areas that have to be voted on by the board, but felonies are pretty black and white. Actually, I don't think expungement/pardon makes any difference, but you'd have to talk to an attorney and the state board about that. Sorry but I think your "friend" is out of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
A felony conviction of any type, renders one ineligible for licensure.

do you have a link? ...I've always wondered what things will disqualify one for a medical license but I have never found a clear answer.

I can settle this. A felony conviction of any type, renders one ineligible for licensure. Soooo...even if this person somehow got into med school and then somehow got into residency, he/she would not be able to get a license to practice medicine. Also, without a license, you obviously can't apply for a DEA number. Arrests and misdemeanors are gray areas that have to be voted on by the board, but felonies are pretty black and white. Actually, I don't think expungement/pardon makes any difference, but you'd have to talk to an attorney and the state board about that. Sorry but I think your "friend" is out of luck.

That's not true. I have friend in a similar boat but he got interviews. And he's been told by other doctors that there are physcians with felony charges practicing today. It depends on 1) how long ago 2) type of infraction 3) if you shown that is was an isolated incedent. Seems silly they'd accept someone who could never be licensed.

Don't be discouraged by these people here. They are or think they are in the top 5% of students and LOVE telling people they have no shot. If your friend applies instate and really wants to be a doctor he can do it.

The important thing is that any chance this individual gets to prove him/herself as a changed person, they take advantage. Volunteeer, do well in undergrad, get into a medschool, be active in the school, get good grades again, do well on the boards, do well in residency, gain the support of as mainly collegues and mentors as possible. The further the person makes it without any hints that they are still making poor choices the better they will look and the less important this previous felony will be. It will likely always be a thorn in the side, but subsequent accomplishments can cast a shadow over it to some extent.

I've also heard of physicians practicing with previous felonies and I have also asked around since this thread came out and met a person with a felony who is in an MD program currently and heard of another who is in a DO program. The first was a stellar student with a great MCAT and the latter was a chiropracter for 10 years before going into osteopathic medicine. Another thing to realize is that some patients will not ever accept the idea of seeing a physician who was once convicted.

I remember there was something on the AMCAS website that said last year, 200 individuals with felonies had applied to U.S. Allopathic schools. Of those 200, I believe 2 were accepted.

Leads me to believe that a felony is pretty much a deal-breaker for medical school unless you have absolutely extreme circumstances that might lead a school to believe in you.

There is probably a way. Don't be discouraged by all the doom and gloom posters. Good luck.

I have a classmate friend who's going to be applying to be in the c/o 2012 for a medical school somewhere.

Have you all forgotten already. It's not the OP in trouble, it's the OP's classmate friend. Address all post to the OP's friend.

Have you all forgotten already. It's not the OP in trouble, it's the OP's classmate friend. Address all post to the OP's friend.

And don't read into the OP knowing so many intimate details about the OP's classmate's gpa, ECs, and seedy criminal past. Hell, if it weren't written down somewhere, I wouldn't remember my *own* gpa...

Oh, and anyone else think the OP's nickname is funny in context?

Even if the "fiend", sorry, "friend", gets the felony record expunged, it's unlikely to make a difference in the long run. It's hard to claim on your AMCAS/ERAS/state board application that you have "never" been "convicted" of a felony, if in fact you have. But more importantly, state licensing boards have legal enforcement powers. And that includes, among other things, access to ALL criminal records, even those who have been expunged. If memory serves me, the only TRUE way to wash the slate clean is a presidential or gubernatorial pardon - which are pretty rare birds.

SO, if your "fiend", sorry, "friend" can't really get a full and unrestricted medical license, and will forever be barred from getting a DEA number (quite naturally, it's pretty hard to get license to script controlled substances from the DEA if you have TWO (2) controlled-substance felonies in your past), which medical school would EVER want to enroll you?
Perhaps someone greedy enough in the Caribbean, but not ever any LCME- or AOA-acreditted school.

If the record is expunged, the individual in question can get a job at Wal-Mart, McDonald's or some other such entity, but I doubt that even a nursing license can be had.

it sucks sometimes how we're judged by just one bad incident in our lives. one fatal mistake and your dreams are over

Wow, are you kidding? Judged on one mistake? The OP said it was his 2nd offense! Furthermore, while the ethical illegality of marijuana is up for debate cocaine is always a no-no! This guy is lucky he's not in PMITA prison.

If the record is expunged, the individual in question can get a job at Wal-Mart, McDonald's or some other such entity, but I doubt that even a nursing license can be had.

so said individual has two options, kinda like K-Fed:

Fast Food, since that's the only legit job he can get (Pros: free high calorie meals! Cons: $5.15/hr, so the free meals are needed to live)
NYET16401241930-big.jpg

Rap Lifestyle (Pros: continued use of cocaine, marrying a celebrity for the purposes of creating babies for papparazzi, drinkin' mad booze as seen in pic below Cons: endless mocking by the media, no respect, must work in fast food if career fails as shown in pic above)
2kfed-728993.jpg

That's not true. I have friend in a similar boat but he got interviews. And he's been told by other doctors that there are physcians with felony charges practicing today.

Please realize that APPLYING for licensure with a felony conviction IS NOT the same as KEEPING a license after receiving a felony conviction. As previously noted, this person needs an attorney.

Don't be discouraged by these people here. They are or think they are in the top 5% of students and LOVE telling people they have no shot. If your friend applies instate and really wants to be a doctor he can do it.

I'm a practicing physician...not a student, so I have no reason to discourage anyone. I've done some checking and found that this is a very difficult question to answer. Rules do vary from state to state, but in my state what I posted IS correct. However, this may or may not be the case in ALL states. Again, this person needs an attorney.

so said individual has two options, kinda like K-Fed:

Fast Food, since that's the only legit job he can get (Pros: free high calorie meals! Cons: $5.15/hr, so the free meals are needed to live)
NYET16401241930-big.jpg

Rap Lifestyle (Pros: continued use of cocaine, marrying a celebrity for the purposes of creating babies for papparazzi, drinkin' mad booze as seen in pic below Cons: endless mocking by the media, no respect, must work in fast food if career fails as shown in pic above)
2kfed-728993.jpg
Or he can resort to get his ass beat by John Cena.......just like K-Fed. :laugh: