predentchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
Viva Las Vegas
Visit site
Status
Are there are lot out there? Are they a huge minority in the application pool? I was just wondering because I have never seen a female oral surgeon. It just sparked my curiosity... for those in residencies: how many females are in there with ya?

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
predentchick said:
Are there are lot out there? Are they a huge minority in the application pool? I was just wondering because I have never seen a female oral surgeon. It just sparked my curiosity... for those in residencies: how many females are in there with ya?
No and Yes. There were two in my residency out of twelve, and we had more than most. Go for it! It makes things more interesting to have women around. :thumbup:

denty

dont eat yellow snow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
predentchick said:
that is interesting :idea: i have seen other women at pedo, endo, and ortho

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
Longitude 80.0W Latitude 40.44N
Status
Non-Student
Some residencies definitely are more friendly towards female OMFS than others. At MN, it's a "female friendly" residency as they have at least one female resident each year out of 3 or 4 seats per year. Currently, not counting on the incoming new matched residents, MN has 4 female residents out of 10 residents or so.

On the other side of the token, LSU NO, only has two current female residents out of 24 residents. Just like any other profession now days, female applicants are encouraged to apply as they all have very good numbers like the male applicants and great CVs.

At Nova OMFS, there is only one female resident out of 8 total residents. Both newly matched incoming interns are both male as well. Female OMFSs are definitely out there, but for sure a minority still and I believe it will be for some time due to many reasons.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Status
predentchick said:
No, as far as my experiences go, there are not a lot of OMF surgeons that are female , however, I think we will be seeing a growing trend in the future. I have two girlfriends who are pretty adamant about becoming oral surgeons. My mother had an implant done by an oral surgeon who was extremely professional and competent.

Don't let the stats intimidate you from entering a field. "Anything boys can do ,girls can do the same or BETTER" ;) :D I think one of the deterrents for entering OMF is the length of the program (4 years or 6 years if you want an M.D). This is especially an issue for women who want to settle down and raise a family. Personally, if I feel passionate about something, I will follow my heart regardless of the opinions or expectations of others.

Good luck! :luck:

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Smilemaker100 said:
I think one of the deterrents for entering OMF is the length of the program (4 years or 6 years if you want an M.D). This is especially an issue for women who want to settle down and raise a family. Personally, if I feel passionate about something, I will follow my heart regardless of the opinions or expectations of others.

Good luck! :luck:
Agreed. This is probably a deterrent for many applicants, regardless of sex.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
Status
One of the attendings at my school is female.

excite4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Status
KY2007 said:
One of the attendings at my school is female.
I observed at a clinic within a hospital where the chief resident (i think that was here title) in the OMFS residency was a female. There were also two other female residents.

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
north2southOMFS said:
They can't write their name in the snow.

Sure they can, they would just have to hold my pecker for me.

1-16-17-32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
I know of 3 female oral surgeons in my school, and from going on about 10 OMFS interviews I have met about 7 or 8 OMFS faculty in other schools. Also from my school and other schools, I have met about a dozen female residents. Also, the OMFS chair at NYU is female!

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
2/12 OMFS residents at my hospital (6 year program) are female. Also, 2/11 OMFS residents at my dental school's 6 year program are also female.

I thought I remember an OMFS resident respresenting AAOMS telling us at some ASDA meeting in 2001 that 5% of OMFS were female. Maybe that number has increased in the past 4 years.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
Status
I don't know how I forgot to mention this but one of the first year residents at my school is also female. She was # 1 in her class and had super high board scores.

Energon

Nobody Summons Megatron
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
We have around 3 female OMFS attendings. However only 2/14 of our residents are females.
One of the last years graduating class was a woman. This chick was just straight up ****ing insane.... a real bi!ch who caused the programs a lot of problems due to her demeanor... a real bad example for any female surgeons. The rest of them are really nice. Yes, having females in a program is excellent from a diversity point of view... they undoubtedly bring something with them to contribute to the program in terms of patient care which is really good.
Having said that, women are undoubtedly underrepresented in OMFS or most surgical fields for that matter. I am sure the nature of the OMFS residency and specialty in terms of lifestyle discourages a lot of women from pursuing it as a career. I hope the ADA does something to further look into this situation.... diversity is always good.

InMyCrossHairs

#1 GUNNER
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
Assuming that there are so few female apps to OMS, and also assuming that the females represent 40-50% of the top ten percent of dental school classes, does this make OMFS less competitive? Essentially you are cutting out almost half of the "most qualified" students, looking at it purely from an academic stand point.

1-16-17-32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
InMyCrossHairs said:
Assuming that there are so few female apps to OMS, and also assuming that the females represent 40-50% of the top ten percent of dental school classes, does this make OMFS less competitive? Essentially you are cutting out almost half of the "most qualified" students, looking at it purely from an academic stand point.

Yeah, it makes it less competative than it would be if they were all applying to OMFS programs, but you can say that about everything. How about the fact that all those people that are applying to Ortho, OS, Perio, and Pedo are making it much easier to get into Endo programs since you are cutting out many of the most qualified students. If we use your logic, there is no end to it.