Females: hair up or down for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Females: hair up or down for interviews?

• up, the interviewer needs to see your eyes

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • down

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • It doesn't matter, as long as you're comfortable

Votes: 62 59.0%

• Total voters

coffeeluver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but hair up or down for interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

How about a compromise? Part of it up, part of it down? :D

Alexander99 said:
How about a compromise? Part of it up, part of it down? :D

Is that some form of a modified mullet?

Up in front, down in back?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i have long hair and i thought putting it half up was perfect. it was out of my eyes and didn't look messy, but i also felt comfortable. i don't think it has to be completely up to look professional. half up is a good compromise.

A comment by TheRussian

No, I am quite afraid that it would be a mullet.

I always pulled the front part back so that my hair wouldn't get in my face, but let it down in the back. Seemed less stiff than pulling it all up ... but I guess I just really don't like the way I look with all my hair up. :rolleyes:

The key is to be conservative. You don't want to look like you are trolling.

roja said:
The key is to be conservative. You don't want to look like you are trolling.

Can we still be conservative with our hair down? I really feel uncomfortable with my hair up.

coffeeluver said:
Can we still be conservative with our hair down? I really feel uncomfortable with my hair up.

Absolutely! just imho

I think it really depends on the look. Before the hair up/hair down question comes up, every girl should get a chic haircut before their interviews. I look best with relatively shorter hair(not real short but more short than long) and so the hair up or down question isn't really an issue. And don't spend $40 at some run of the mill hair studio. Many spend thousands on this process. What's another $130 or so for a haircut? This doesn't apply to just medical school interviews. I think a lot of girls could look a lot better if they had their hair done professionally.

TheRussian said:

Ah the mullet, all business up front, party in the back.

I got my 10 inches cut off of my hair half way through the interview season, but I wore it down when it was still long. It looked less stiff and I felt a lot more comfortable with it. As long as you aren't playing with your hair, I don't think anyone is going to care too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Up, and then if things go well, let it down. If things are not going well, let it down and wink.

I have very long straight hair and personally, I like my hair down. If you think that you look better with your hair down wear it down. Be yourself!!!! Just make sure that it's tame. Also, check on the weather...if you suspect that the it's going to be rainy or hot, humid..you might want to adjust your style or be a frizz ball the entire interview and also self-conscious.

Oh my goodness, you guys are cracking me up, because my naturally curly hair's "business" look has always been up in front and down in back, and my husband was like IT'S A GIRL MULLET!!! and here you all are agreeing with him. :laugh: Hilarious! I see it so much in business and medicine because it's practical and feminine at the same time...I guess we ARE guilty of trying to be business in the front and party in the back!

For me, the interview season is like a wedding; do NOT do anything drastic to your look right before an interview. If you're going to get a makeover (or invest in a good haircut) do it at least two weeks prior in case something really bad happens with color or cut...that'll give you time to get a weave, ha ha!

As far as up vs. down, I think it's best to go with the most elegant look you can manage. I saw lots of girls looking great in a variety of styles; the key was keeping whatever it was sleek and finished-looking. My bushy mane had to go either up or girl-mullet, but girls with finer hair looked nice with it down.

On a side note, I saw a guy at Southwestern with dreads. But they were lovely, shiny, and neatly pulled back, not woolly and full of twigs and bugs like all the folks here in Austin.

Don't think only girls worry about this - I've had guys ask me style questions at interview seminars :)

Good luck!!!

I went to one interview with it up, one with it down. I got into both schools, so I don't think it mattered!

I have big blonde hair normally (Yes, I like volume...) but at the advice of one of my friends already enrolled in medical school I pulled it almost completely back for my interviews. So instead of my normal "weather-girl flip" as I so lovingly call it, I had a sleek, low hal-ponytail, or a simple twist during my interviews. This way I didn't tend to look like such a Barbie.

curlycity said:
On a side note, I saw a guy at Southwestern with dreads. But they were lovely, shiny, and neatly pulled back, not woolly and full of twigs and bugs like all the folks here in Austin.

:laugh: LOL... So so so true. (I'm a UT student)

Should guys shave their chest hair for interviews?

(nicedream) said:

Under no circumstance should a guys chest hair be sprouting out of their shirt. Medical school interview or no.

Persistence101 said:
what about those with bangs?

My "bangs" are pulled behind my ears. :oops: :rolleyes:

If I'm lucky enough to get an interview, I plan to wear mine up. My hair is thin and wavy. If it's a windy day, I'll be a mess by the time I sit down for the intrerview! :p

southbelle said:
Under no circumstance should a guys chest hair be sprouting out of their shirt. Medical school interview or no.

Somehow that picture makes me :laugh: :laugh:

Elizabeth1028 said:
I always pulled the front part back so that my hair wouldn't get in my face, but let it down in the back. Seemed less stiff than pulling it all up ... but I guess I just really don't like the way I look with all my hair up. :rolleyes:

Yup, that's what I did, too.

Out of curiosity, did you guys go for skirts or pants (assuming you wore a suit)? Nude, black, or no stockings?

I wore pantsuits, but I saw a wide variety. I think nude hose is the best leg option for a suit-skirt-pumps outfit. I liked wearing pants because I was sooooooo comfortable...I got these stretch slacks from Old Navy for $22 that actually retained their crease after machine-washing!!!

No matter what you decide, anyone interviewing at UTMB (Galveston) should wear pants - the mosquitoes are so thick there, they're both visible and audible at all times when one is outdoors.

coffeeluver said:

definitely! I have really long hair and I left it down (tucked behind my ears so it was out of my face). It all depends on the person and what you are comfortable with. My hair stayed down 'cause I look like I'm ten when it is up!

I agree that it depends on what you're most comfortable with. Honestly, I got waitlisted at the school I wore my hair up at and in to a few others that I wore my hair down for. As long as you're not playing with it and it doesn't look ratty, I don't think wearing your hair down could hurt you.

Fermata said:
Not a girl but my hair is long(about 2 feet). I'm gonna have to cut it all off for interviews. :(

::sigh::

Sorry Fermie...there was a guy in some of my classes who had absolutely crazy looking hair, not just long but strangely, unevenly, voluminous...he cleaned up so good for interviews I did a total tripletake when he walked by me all GQ in his suit. So, you're not the only one who has to sacrifice the locks. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Also, you could consider pulling it back into an exotic braid and explaining its deep personal significance...memorable!

:D

style your hair according to what makes you feel good .. i remember having my hair up once before an interview and it made me uncomfortable b/c i think i look better with my hair down, so i let it down ... being comfortable during your interview is important ..

I didn't even brush my hair before my interview (slept through my alarm) and I still got in. I don't think the admissions committee sits around discussing your hair style. . . .just be sure your shoes match your outfit:)

SwineLake98 said:
Yup, that's what I did, too.

Out of curiosity, did you guys go for skirts or pants (assuming you wore a suit)? Nude, black, or no stockings?

i only wore a skirt once .. it was for an interview that i didn't care about .. i took advantage of being in a city with old friends and drank the night before and never went to sleep ... when it was morning, i couldn't find my suit but luckily i brought extra clothes ...the pencil skirt was light grey and i paired it with a long, slim-fitted pink suitjacket and used the matching pink sash to wrap around a white shirt underneath (i even kept the shirt untucked) .. i didn't mean to stand out so much, although i heard the admissions people (the ladies) whisper about what a cute outfit i had on ..

i really, really stood out in a room full of black and grey suits ... that sort of made me uncomfortable, which isn't a good thing .. but it made me identifiable by the dean, which i guess is a good thing .. however i feel uncomfortable in tight skirts ... so again, comfort is key .. and sorry, i get worked up about fashion ... at a lot of places, people remembered me by what i wore .. so i think it's safe to look a little different from everyone else ... if it looks good on you, wear it :)

I wore my hair down for all my interviews. It's slightly below shoulder, and it flips out at the end, even with a crooked part. It certainly did not hurt me as I got into all of the schools that I interviewed at. Just do what is most comfortable for you.

Also, I wore a skirt, with suntan hose. The skirt reached right above my knees.

(nicedream) said:

Do y'all think I should leave the merkin at home or wear it to the interview?