Females in the field!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulcity

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M3 here... I talked to my school adviser recently about my late interest in Urology. I really liked surgery rotation, and I am hoping to shape my career into something procedural-based in an outpatient setting.

He warned me strongly that the field is still very "white" and "male dominant". He also stated that it is still very much "a good ol'boys club". To this end, I am hoping to hear some advice from female residents/ attendings out there. How has your experience been in this field?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would that stop you? What are your concerns?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a female general surgery resident, I would say to not let that stop you. If you like the field, you should go after it! When you are interviewing, you will get a feel for which programs are blatantly sexist and which ones arent. There are many programs that are great for women to be at. Also, the need for female urologists is high so GO FOR IT!!! :)

Also, find an advisor who is a surgeon. My med school advisor was a family practice doc and a lot of his advice did not actually help me in my interview and matching process. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
I ask my female colleagues (almost half of our residents are female) what they think about being a female in urology, and they don't hesitate to say it hasn't been an issue.

Several have done fellowships to avoid having to do female urology exclusively, but I think they're happy where they are.

Tons of males are OB/GYNs and no one seems to say anything why should women in urology be any different. Plus there is a strong need for more women urologists. As women also have urological issues and some would feel more comfortable with a female, of which is hard to find one. Those comments from your adviser should motivate you more, prove them wrong and make a difference. Go after your dreams girl!!! You will be successful.

Ps. I have not started med school yet but got a MS at a med school. I also aspire to be a urologist and I am female. My advisers encouraged me and my future plans. The urology field needs some more female minds!

While Urology is a male heavy field, the number of women is increasing rapidly, with about 30-40% of matched applicants in the last several years being female. My program is approaching 50/50, and many others are as well. While most programs are going to be very friendly to female applicants, I have heard a few horror stories from women who matched in departments at a few programs, mostly small programs in the deep south. It's worth looking at a program's website and seeing that they have matched many female residents in the past, which will be true of most programs.

As Armybound mentioned though, some females feel that it becomes more necessary to do a fellowship. The reason is that as a Urologist who is female you will generally be referred a lot of female patients with prolapse, incontinence, etc due to either the patient preferring a female physician or their PCP assuming that on their behalf. While that can be an asset when it comes to building a practice, it can be tough if your interests lie in other aspects of urology. Some of the women I know did fellowships in other areas (stones, oncology, etc.) out of interest and to avoid being pidgeon-holed into seeing female patients. Others who are interested in having female be part of their practice did fellowships in Female Urology so that in seeing those patients they can take better care of them and feel more comfortable doing those cases. Female Urology is very much in demand though, so if you go that route there are a lot of options available.

Reactions: 1 users