Real life post residency in urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dicknfoley

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Halfway through training and starting to worry about life on the other side.

I have many hobbies and as a student was told the urology lifestyle as an attending can truly allow good work-life balance if wanted.

Can any urologists out in practice attest to this? What does a general community urologists’ schedule actually look like?

Will I be able to go back to enjoying surfing, rock climbing or musical theater as hobbies or is this wildly unattainable given the unpredictability of the OR and call schedules?

Thx 🍆
 
In my situation I am in clinic 3 days a week 8-5 and OR 2 days a week 7:30 til usually around 5 depending on add ons. Call for a full week 1 in 6. Good collaborative group and we round for each other when on call, and whoever is in OR that day tries to take care of any add ons.

Overall, I would say my QOL is pretty decent, and I certainly have time for hobbies and family. Making around 65%ile RVU's and salary, so definitely not slacking off.

It will always be a trade off between lifestyle and how much you want to work. With urology you could basically work unlimited hours and there will be demand. My employer would be thrilled if I worked Saturdays. But you have to draw the line somewhere. On the other side of the coin, if lifestyle is more important to you, you could probably find a part-time gig fairly easily working a few days a week and still make several hundred thousand per year.