Ferrous Sulfate Elixir dosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BanBidil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had an rx from a clinic for a 3 year old girl for the ferrous sulfate elixir 220mg/5ml. The problem is that the solution I had in stock had 5% ethanol in it. I did not want to give her that solution. Since the elemental iron was 44mg, I opted for an equivalent dose with the Fer-in-sol solution (roughly 3 ml with the new formulation of 15mg elemental iron per ml. Given the age and the weight of the patient (roughly 33 LBS or 15kg) , isn't 44 mg of elemental iron a bit much?? Please comment

The MD was unavailable for about a week (its a free clinic, hard to get a hold of residents/volunteer docs there).

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you think that 1ml of 5% etoh Per day would be an issues? None of the formulations taste good, give the most concentrated to get t down the quickest. And regarding the dose, did you look it up? I see that it's 3mg/kg/day is the low end of the dosing range to treat iron diffeciecy anemia.

We do anywhere from 2-4 mg/kg/day....more like 4 when I'm in the NICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I worked retailParents always wanted the least amount of liquid possible. I would've gone with the concentrated stuff. The alcohol wouldn't really matter... 1ml of 5%?

No problem, thanks for the Douchey comment above. Yes, I looked it up. But since you did too, and you have PHD and are so smart,please remember to cite your references. After all that's all you were doing when writing those long dissertations to be shelved in the library to collect dust. ;-) Love them academic types.

No problem, thanks for the Douchey comment above. Yes, I looked it up. But since you did too, and you have PHD and are so smart,please remember to cite your references. After all that's all you were doing when writing those long dissertations to be shelved in the library to collect dust. ;-) Love them academic types.

I don't think the poster was being douchey at all. If I asked my preceptor that question, they would ask me if I looked up the dosing first.

wow. uncalled for, IMO.

I'm sorry you're intimidated by my admittedly modest credentials. You asked a question that could have been answered by any drug reference published within the last 50 years, that doesn't really warrant a detailed courteous answer. I'd show you where you find the answer in your dusty copy of facts and comparisons but I'm to busy working in lab and as a per diem retail floater.

My thesis collecting dust is no big deal, it's of interest to maybe a dozen people in the world and wasn't anything special.

Guy walks up to the pharmacy counter and asks the pharmacist, "Plan B is over the counter, right?"
The pharmacist replies, "Yes sir, it is."
Guy says, "Ok. Well then I would like to buy some condoms."
The pharmacist replies, "Oh, I thought you were looking for Plan B. The condoms are on aisle 4."
Guy says, "No. I was looking for the condoms. You keep Plan A next to Plan B, right?" :p

Sorry for this awful attempt at threadjacking, but it was getting totally heavy in here with all of this talk about babies, alcohol, iron, and personal attacks! As if iron toxicity wasn't deadly enough. :scared:

Last edited: