Fetal Demise Cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLoblaw78

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have had a drastic increase in fetal demise and miscarriages. There is a new virus going around called COVID and I was curious if it could be the cause. It causes inflammation and increased thrombosis which is not good for the placenta/fetus. I am not aware of active infections in these patients or of their antibody status, but I plan on investigating more in the future cases. Has anyone else seen an increase or an article that I have overlooked?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would have thought the obstetricians would be well placed to investigate?

I haven't noticed an increase, though I'm not exactly counting. I have to believe that if there was though, it'd be headline news above all the other coronavirus headlines.

Look at the massive coverage Zika got. If covid was killing fetuses someone would've noticed and shouted it from the rooftops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm interesting. I’m not anesthesia, but do prenatal care for low risk patients and this hasn’t been my experience and where I work we were hit hard by covid. Are you saying the patients are covid negative?

Haven’t read anything in particular in my circles either. There is an ongoing covid pregnancy registry, not sure when data will start to be analyzed. But this is obviously of interest to me so I’ll see if I can find anything specific and report back.

We haven't seen any noticeable increase, but you're asking specifically what WE see. Unless they come to the OR for D&E, we don't see them at all.

Just did an epidural for an IUFD yesterday and did notice that the obstetrician ordered a COVID19 antibody test

Just did an epidural for an IUFD yesterday and did notice that the obstetrician ordered a COVID19 antibody test
This stands out? Literally every patient that comes into our hospital gets tested for COVID

Reactions: 1 users
This came up retrospectively. It has been brought up to the obstetricians and they had definitely noticed the uptick but hadn't attributed it to COVID. They were not tested for COVID, but even if they were negative it wouldn't rule out previous infection or false negative.

A couple of things based on previous studies. First, there was a tremendous amount of asymptomatic positives in pregnant patients that was reported earlier. Second, the ACE/RAS system could affect placental function in ways that manifest itself later in pregnancy after an asymptomatic period(IUFD). I didn't notice any literature that reported it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Last edited:
All very interesting (and scary for pregnant women!). I hope that if there is a correlation, it can be identified quickly.

I noticed an uptick in 2015 when my wife was pregnant. Turns out it wasn't an uptick, just me being a worry wart noticing things because I was more acutely aware of them. I agree that we would need more statistics to make any kind of statement.

I have heard there might be a significant decrease in people having babies due to economic distress. One article speculates 300,000-500,000 fewer. Time will tell.

I noticed an uptick in 2015 when my wife was pregnant. Turns out it wasn't an uptick, just me being a worry wart noticing things because I was more acutely aware of them. I agree that we would need more statistics to make any kind of statement.

I have heard there might be a significant decrease in people having babies due to economic distress. One article speculates 300,000-500,000 fewer. Time will tell.
I figured more babies were to come since everyone is stuck inside together. There isn't much more to do besides drink and ****.

I figured more babies were to come since everyone is stuck inside together. There isn't much more to do besides drink and ****.

Maybe more first babies but being stuck inside with young kids is great birth control.

Reactions: 2 users

Hey, what else was I supposed to do when I didn’t have work to go to every day? Made me super excited about my vasectomy at the end of last year though.

I have not noticed any increase in anesthesia for fetal demise at my hospital. I even checked our monthly averages vs the last two years for you.

Reactions: 1 users