Few days to match, any predictions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkster

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Any predictions on which programs may go unmatched this year?

Just for fun, see who is right, who is wrong. Maybe we can all do

a bet:cool: ...

Members don't see this ad.

my prediction is that there will be a ton of prelim spots open this year..heheheheh:D

What's the point? I think we can be sure that Programs like UVA aren't going to goof again, and why should we give a hoot that Podunk Community Hospital doesn't fill?

More importantly, Good Luck to everyone (though now that the lists are in, Providence doesn't really play a role).

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs that haven't filled over the last couple of years will possibly continue that tradition. The current decreased interest in surgery won't help these programs as well.
Most notable are the previously unfilled (C) Univ. based programs like: Univ. of Kansas, Tulane U., Michigan State, U of Minn, and SUNY-Syracuse.
It's hard to tell though, b/c several PDs mentioned increased applicants this year so maybe we'll have some surprises this year.
By the way, last year: UVA, UC-East Bay, UT-San Antonio, and Brown U didnt fill. I wouldve been ALL OVER these programs if I were to scramble. I'm sure these programs will rank more than enough applicants this year to overcompensate but, like always there will a be a couple of top/mid - tier programs left out in the cold.
Likewise to the previous post, Good luck in the Match to all!

That's my prediction! I have absolutely nothing to back it up, except for what PDs were saying on the trail.

I interviewed at Tulane, and I liked it. They made a point to go over all of the changes that have taken place, and they have a cool new laparoscopic lab. I ranked it. I think it will fill.... possibly with me. :laugh:

I was offerred an interview at UCSF-EB, but turned it down. It seemed like everyone I talked to got an interview offer from these guys. I am not kidding.

Pretty much everywhere I went PDs said the # of apps was up (by as much as 20% at one place).

I don't think that there are going to be any big surprises this year. But there will still be a lot of unfilled spaces... though less than last year. Watch there be 200 unfilled spaces, and Joe Blow will scramble in to UCSF....:eek:

Although there will very well be over 100+ Preliminary spots left over, there were <60 categoricals left over last year. And out of those,only a few were at Univ. based programs. Like the last post, I heard the same from a lot of PDs about the increased applicant pool this year for G-Surg. I loved New Orleans and would guess that you'd see a LOT of Trauma at Tulane U.'s Charity hospital (drunk people cracking their skulls on Bourbon St.).
Looking at the last 2 years match stats; many programs that didn't fill the previous year surely filled their categorical spots for the next year. Basically all of the Univ. programs did fill completely the following year. I don't know if its because applicants noticed that these great programs didnt fill and went ahead and applied or more likely that the PDs made sure to make a longer applicant rank list.
Anyhoo... all that is just to say that most stronger programs that don't fill on any given year (i.e. the surprise programs: UVA, Brown...) will usually tighten the list for the next incoming year. So, let's just wait and see what NEW surprises there are for this year.

fewer & fewer prelim spots are going to be listed in the match because 1) fewer people going into other specialties do them (ie. anesthesia) & 2) when your program has an unfilled prelim spot show up on the NRMP results it creates the appearence of a struggling program or one with a problem (even though that's clearly not true for these prelim type positions)