Few questions for those accepted/attending NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,
i just have a few more questions about people who have gotten into nycom it is my tope choice -- so any thoughts or advice would be very appreciated.

First off...i had an interview in late April but since it is late im preparing to re-apply again.

First: im out of college now and i was a business major. So i only took 2 bios, 2 orgos, 2 physics, 2 gen chesm, and biochemistry. I did great in them..and I got an interview at NYCOM this year..but should I need to take more upper divisions like genetics...or is what I have ok if I have to re-apply.

second: I am currently working in the tumor registry of my local hospital and will hopefully start a little research project next week -- but is that enough to make me look busy -- like i said..im out of school and i was a busines major -- so i can't really get a fancy lab job or anything like that.

third: i left a mph program after 1 semester because the concentration i wanted was really weak and I really was misinformed about this...but i did get all A+'s. Will this hurt me this year -- i interviewed last week or if I have to apply again?

Fourth: Should I do something like EMT training or just volunteer at the local clinic -- if i need to say re-take mcats in august then doing the emt will eat up my time big time and my application will probably be in to NYCOM before im even 1/4 through the emt course.

I even wrote NYCOM admissions committee stating i would go to nycom this fall if given an acceptance.

What do you think about my questions any ideas or comments. The interviews seemed to go ok i guess....probably not as great but not horrible either -- hard to tell. Thanks for all of your help -- it is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont htink you need ot take anymore classes. i was a math major in college med requirements. I only took the science classes needed to fulfill my pre-med requirements and was never asked anything at nycom about my the classes I took or why I didnt take any other science classes. besides for the usual conversation, I really spoke mostly about my research. I have done research for the past four years (3 years part-time while in college and full-time during the summer) and then 1 year after graduation.
\
I htink if you proved to them ont he interview that you can handle the long hours you are up against and can handle all the hard work you should be fine.

theDr. said:
Hello there,
i just have a few more questions about people who have gotten into nycom it is my tope choice -- so any thoughts or advice would be very appreciated.

First off...i had an interview in late April but since it is late im preparing to re-apply again.

First: im out of college now and i was a business major. So i only took 2 bios, 2 orgos, 2 physics, 2 gen chesm, and biochemistry. I did great in them..and I got an interview at NYCOM this year..but should I need to take more upper divisions like genetics...or is what I have ok if I have to re-apply.

second: I am currently working in the tumor registry of my local hospital and will hopefully start a little research project next week -- but is that enough to make me look busy -- like i said..im out of school and i was a busines major -- so i can't really get a fancy lab job or anything like that.

third: i left a mph program after 1 semester because the concentration i wanted was really weak and I really was misinformed about this...but i did get all A+'s. Will this hurt me this year -- i interviewed last week or if I have to apply again?

Fourth: Should I do something like EMT training or just volunteer at the local clinic -- if i need to say re-take mcats in august then doing the emt will eat up my time big time and my application will probably be in to NYCOM before im even 1/4 through the emt course.

I even wrote NYCOM admissions committee stating i would go to nycom this fall if given an acceptance.

What do you think about my questions any ideas or comments. The interviews seemed to go ok i guess....probably not as great but not horrible either -- hard to tell. Thanks for all of your help -- it is greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if you had gotten in yet. I am glad to see you are getting all your stuff in order early just in case you have to apply again, although I hope you are able to get in.

If you don't get in you will of course apply early this time....right?? :cool:

Good luck :luck:

I think I was there on the same day as you theDr.

It's good to have your stuff in order, yes. Fretting about whether we're going to get in doesn't push the admissions letter along any faster.

You know what it took to get to where you are now. You know whether you're doing "enough," also.

The first part of EMT training isn't going to kill you while studying for the August MCAT. *IF* you don't get into NYCOM (or any school) you can ask them what you need to work on to make you a better candidate. Accordingly, you can plan from there what you need to do.

In reply to your questions:

First: it's general consensus that if med schools wanted you to have upper-level BIO courses, they'd require it. You've fulfilled NYCOM's requirements....that should be enough. If you liked that great section on the MCAT that talked about the genetic differences of frogs, using large genetics terms that mystified you... by all means, take the course and fill that void!! :D

Second and Fourth: Why get the EMT when you can do volunteer work at the local ER and see really crazy situations? or when you can get a job and then read to kids/be a tutor in your spare time when you're not doing research? If you get creative, and you ask around at the hospital and local schools, you might find someone who'll be glad to take your free help.

Third: I'm no prophet, and I'm unable to look inside and see the future in this crystal ball I found in some misty cave, far away from people....so, I can't tell you whether "testing the waters in an MPH program" will hurt you.

I just know that "seeming" and "actually being" busy are two different things, and neither are as important as the quality and depth you earn from actually DOING things while being busy.

Coming full circle here: You're preparing for having to re-take the MCAT, but you don't know if that's really the subject on which you need to focus. You're worried about a botched attempt at an MPH program that, seemingly, wasn't right for you from the beginning. You also haven't told us if you think, for example, studying protein synthesis and cleavage (biochem) *really* would get your engines revved. And, most of all, on top of this matter stands the fact: you haven't received your letter. Neither have I, and that's the coolest thing... why? because right now, there's nothing that needs to be done but LIVE. Why? because I did lotsa stuff up to the point I interviewed, and nothing I do can influence the decision(s) made before/after I left. And why is that important? because the "ball is in their court" now and it leaves me with knowing two things...well, three: (1) I'm either accepted, rejected or waitlisted, (2) I'm versatile enough to handle all three, and (3) wasting my time planning for situations that might not arise surely doesn't compare to going to work, then volunteering and tutoring...amassing more experience for when I'm actually in medical school.

Just my 50 cents on those issues you conveyed. :)

Additionally, I wish you much luck :luck: and, hopefully, we won't have to go through this again! :thumbup: