Few Questions on AF HPSP before submit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simsim81

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to submit my AF HPSP scholarship application and just had a few questions before doing so. Thanks in advance for all of your help--I really appreciate it.

1. Does submitting the application itself mean the process is completed (pending formal acceptance) and I am committed, or will I first receive my acceptance and then sign a formal form committing to the scholarship and time of AD?

2. Completely hypothetical and not anticipated in the least--but what happens if someone is unable to complete medical school for one reason or another? Is the individual to join the AF for the years owed or pay back the amount of the scholarship before a certain time period, etc?

3. Is the stipend for every month while taking classes or a select number of months a year?

4. If I take a 4 year scholarship and then have a 5 year residency (including an internship year), does that mean my commitment remains at 4 years because the internship year does not add an extra year of commitment?

5. Last question, does anyone have any knowledge of psychiatry in the air force? I have shadowed many psychiatrists in the civilian world and know that is something I have always been very interested in, and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it in the military and how they liked it?

Thank you all very much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm about to submit my AF HPSP scholarship application and just had a few questions before doing so. Thanks in advance for all of your help--I really appreciate it.

1. Does submitting the application itself mean the process is completed (pending formal acceptance) and I am committed, or will I first receive my acceptance and then sign a formal form committing to the scholarship and time of AD?

2. Completely hypothetical and not anticipated in the least--but what happens if someone is unable to complete medical school for one reason or another? Is the individual to join the AF for the years owed or pay back the amount of the scholarship before a certain time period, etc?

3. Is the stipend for every month while taking classes or a select number of months a year?

4. If I take a 4 year scholarship and then have a 5 year residency (including an internship year), does that mean my commitment remains at 4 years because the internship year does not add an extra year of commitment?

5. Last question, does anyone have any knowledge of psychiatry in the air force? I have shadowed many psychiatrists in the civilian world and know that is something I have always been very interested in, and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it in the military and how they liked it?

Thank you all very much in advance!

1) You are committed when they accept you, you in turn accept them, you sign the papers and take an oath. Read what you are signing, if its a contract you're committing yourself.

2) At the discretion of the military. They could allow you to serve out your time in the military as an officer or as enlisted (not sure if they can actually force you), they can make you pay back the entire amount you got plus interest, or they could release you without any debt.

3) Year round, except when you're on an ADT at which time is it replaced with active duty pay (which is more)

4) Correct.

5) Looking in from the outside, in the Navy, it seems like a happy specialty. No other insights.

As always, before you sign make sure you understand the terms 'military match' and 'GMO tour', and what they imply for your career. Also understand that the military moves you at their discretion, that you are deployable as a physician (including as a psychiatrist), and make sure you understand military vs civilian physician pay.

Last edited: