Fewest applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools have the fewest applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually its state schools that accept only in state, and not in california, texas, new york, and illinois

Hmm.. Which schools have the fewest applican'ts that accept out of state stuents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an MSAR... or tell me which schools your curious about. I don't feel like comparing all of them right now. I have last year's MSAR on me.

I don't know which specific schools I'm interested in, because I don't know which ones have the fewest applicants that are happy to accept out of state applicants. I'm guessing though with my luck the schools I want to apply to have some of the highest numbers of applicants.

Finch
Creighton
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Iowa
Virgina
Wakeforest
Albany
Tulane
BU

BU, Finch, Creighton, Drexel, and GW have a TON of applicants. OTOH, they also have to accept a TON of students because when state school waitlists start to move students accepted to these schools as safeties usually choose their state school.

It's not uncommon for a school like Tufts to throw out 700+ acceptances to fill their class. Most of the class at these schools will come off the waitlist.

Iowa is a state school that does give heavy preferance to Iowa residents. However, they do take some out of state residents and the total # of out of state applicants is somewhat depressed because of their stringent LOR rules(you have to use their official forms). So it's certainly hard to get in out of state at iowa, but that probably makes it a tad easier.

40% of UVA's class is composed of out of state residents. Keep in mind, however, that this is different than saying 40% of all accepted UVA students were out of state. The % of out of state students *accepted* at schools like UVA will almost always be higher than the % out of state matriculating.

Looking at your list, I can't figure out what your state of residence is?? It's not Illinois, New York, Missouri, Virginia, North Carolina, or Louisiana because you didn't apply to your best-shot schools as a resident of those states would. That only leaves Iowa.....you a hawkeye?

Hawkeye is a great character from MASH, however I do not live in Iowa.
I am a Texas resident.. but that is another story and another application.

SCHOOL Applicants/Admitted (out-of-state)

Finch: 6735/157
Creighton: 3932/99
Drexel: 6490/155
GW: 8674/152
Georgetown: 7616/166
Iowa: 2124/46
Virgina... hmm...
-eastern: 2021/20
-U of V: 2863/57
-commonwealth: 2858/68
Wakeforest: 4583/54
Albany: 4695/77
Tulane: 6733/122
BU: 8204/124

source: MSAR2003-2004

hope it helps! :horns:

Megalofyia,

Why do you want to go out of state when you have 7 perfectly good schools here in the great state of Texas!?

Good Luck

7? :D ;)

tho, I'm gonna miss Texas and Dallas, and those 'Horns and jacking Okies during the RRS, and the boob&coke crowd.... :(

if I was a resident, I'd go to UTSW, come out with nary a penny in debt and be one happy mofo....

I'm not ditching the Texas schools altogether..
I have more family in the northeast of the country than here and I'd like to move.

Yea, 7 including DO school in Denton.

Easy on those Okies, I was born in Tulsa. Guess I'm a transplant.

UTSW and Baylor are great bargains. Not sure that I want to live near downtown Houston....the public schools don't sound too great for my kiddo.

Now about that boob&coke crowd...just where do you hang in big D?

BTW, OU has quite a few national titles, one just two years ago.

I'm applying to Tejas and some dream longshots.

Members don't see this ad :)
i graduated from an HISD school. If u live near downtown ure kid would be stuck in an inner city school but if you live in a different district...Lamar and Westside are the best HISD schools in my opinion

I appreciate that heads up. How far out are these districts...certainly outside Loop 610 I guess.

I've heard such horror stories about keeping drives to a minimum. I get to Houston on biz, seems a little busier than Dallas.

what i do is try to find the districts with the fewest black kids, and then go from there.

Originally posted by OrthoFixation
Yea, 7 including DO school in Denton.

Easy on those Okies, I was born in Tulsa....
yaaaaaa, TULSA!!!!!

>Hawkeye is a great character from MASH, however I do not live >in Iowa.
>I am a Texas resident.. but that is another story and another >application.

Lucky guy. With 7 schools in texas and 5-6 of them being "good shot" schools for TX residents, I really don't see the point of having schools like Creighton, Drexel, and BU on the list, unless for whatever reason you just MUST get out of texas.

If you can't get into schools like UT-San Antonio and the other non Baylor/UTSW schools as a Texas resident, you aren't going to get into lower-tier private schools like Drexel and BU that get a gazillion apps.

If your numbers are good I would apply to all of the Texas schools as a safety and then apply to a mixture of more attractive private schools in parts of the country you would like spending some time. Consider Vandy, Emory, USC, Pitt, etc if you want some schools outside the top 10 but in the top 30 or so.

It just seems silly to target schools like Finch and Drexel as a Tx resident, regardless of whether you have a 3.9/35 or a 3.4/27.

Hmm.. the post origionally was to find the schools with the fewest applicants that accept out of state applicants... not to decide weather or not I should remain in Texas or not.

Most private med schools give no preference to in-state vs. out-of-state applicants in the admissions process, and have fairly high percentages of out-of-state matriculants. So in-state vs. out-of-state doesn't really make a difference with most private schools (except for a few that get some of their funding from the state, like Temple I think). You just need to decide where you want to be, and where you have a reasonable chance with your stats.

I love Houston because Im from there. Most Houston people hate dallas people (and the reverse) Houston is REALLY busy and a word of advice leave early to get to med school and dont get on 610 or I-10 at five oclock. If you are in the 610 loop area try westside and Lamar. If you can afford a private school try the Village School (its a really good school) I personally believe Houston is a great city we have the largest medical center and it is REALLY nice.

Stay away from Booker T High School, Lee High School, and the ones near U of Houston. Im not saying there bad they are just really urban and dangerous for youngsters.

Thanks for the Houston insight Bubba. It is pretty cool having two quality med schools next door to each other. I look forward to interviewing there. UTMB is just a stone's throw away. That climate is really attractive, still have the humidity but 10-20 deg less heat.

>>Most private med schools give no preference to in-state vs. >>out-of-state applicants in the admissions process, and have >>fairly high percentages of out-of-state matriculants. So in-state >>vs. out-of-state doesn't really make a difference with most >>private schools (except for a few that get some of their >>funding from the state, like Temple I think)

It's far more than except for a few. Just in georgia alone, Mercer is a private school that only accepts ga residents. And I don't know whether emory gets any state funding, but they clearly give an advantage to ga residents, as the accepted % for ga residents is much higher than overall. Branching out to the rest of the southeast, Miami is a private school that gives preferance to in-state students.

It's not uncommon for private schools to give some preferance to state schools but still have a class that is 50-60% out of state.

Originally posted by jennie 21
Most private med schools give no preference to in-state vs. out-of-state applicants in the admissions process, and have fairly high percentages of out-of-state matriculants. So in-state vs. out-of-state doesn't really make a difference with most private schools (except for a few that get some of their funding from the state, like Temple I think). You just need to decide where you want to be, and where you have a reasonable chance with your stats.

I know NYU is 50% in state, 50% out of state

Baylor also gets funding from the state....so about 80% accepted applicant end up being texan.

This is what I was told when I interview there.....I was pretty stoked on the school and the medcenter. Did not care much for Houston. I was hoping to attend there if I did not get into a UC but I got in so...maybe residency at Baylor down the road.

Be ready to get raped in your residency at Baylor. I know their surgical residency boast a 98% divorce rate!:wow:

Originally posted by Megalofyia
Hmm.. the post origionally was to find the schools with the fewest applicants that accept out of state applicants... not to decide weather or not I should remain in Texas or not.

Thats OK Megalofyia, I hope you have learned your lesson. The SDN is not about answering "your" question, it's about answering what ever they feel is pertinent. ;)

Changing thread topic to: "Popcorn, AA and colon cancer, the real issues in America"

All the New York State schools that used to give priority to in-staters do not and can no longer do this (Upstate, Buffalo, Downstate, Stony Brook).... Pataki signed some crap to increase the amount of funding for these schools and now they pull without giving any thought as to state residence... However, you can become a state resident after ONE year (as long as you don't live in a dorm, which disqualifies you) and get 1/2 off a good edumacation

Originally posted by trauma_junky
Be ready to get raped in your residency at Baylor. I know their surgical residency boast a 98% divorce rate!:wow:

It amazes me that people just throw around the word raped... talk about insensitive.:mad:

it amazing me how tightly wound most people are on this site... relax...

raped:
1 a archaic : to seize and take away by force b : DESPOIL
2 : to commit rape on