# med school applicants 2022-2023?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drross90210

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a sense of the number of applicants for the 2022-2023 cycle?

I believe there was a sharp increase for 2021-2022 (i.e. Chart 1: 2021 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data). Wondering if this will be a better cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that increase in the chart is crazy! Such a sharp increase of applicants last year- is that the "Fauci Effect" that so many news orgs were touting?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a sense of the number of applicants for the 2022-2023 cycle?

I believe there was a sharp increase for 2021-2022 (i.e. Chart 1: 2021 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data). Wondering if this will be a better cycle!
The primary application deadline at some schools is not until November, so it will be a while before the 2022-2023 totals are made available from AMCAS.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of off-topic, but does anyone have an explanation for the dip and subsequent resurgence in applications between '85 and '95? Seems interesting!

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone have an explanation for the dip and subsequent resurgence in applications between '85 and '95? Seems interesting!
I believe that two dips represent good economic times and the bulges following them represent people applying in recessions

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. I was wondering if there were other data points available now. For example, Wayne State has a pretty transparent tracker (i.e., https://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions) that shows they received 7,395 applications (thus far, although, as pointed out, some may still trickle in). MSAR indicates they received 10,386. If the website and MSAR define applications the same, it would suggest they may receive fewer applications this year.

Thank you. I was wondering if there were other data points available now. For example, Wayne State has a pretty transparent tracker (i.e., https://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions) that shows they received 7,395 applications (thus far, although, as pointed out, some may still trickle in). MSAR indicates they received 10,386. If the website and MSAR define applications the same, it would suggest they may receive fewer applications this year.
Also found this from last year on the Wayne State thread - shows 9854 apps on 11/11/2020 and 7422 apps on 11/10/21. So for Wayne, anyway, the number of apps this year is tracking remarkably similar to last year.

Reactions: 1 users