FGCU DPT Program Review (Florida Gulf Coast University)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FGCUDPTgrad

Reaction score
This will be a brutally honest review of the entire program. This is with all due respect. I had NO problems and did NOT fail out of this program. This is to help everyone out there who is looking into PT school.

The good:
  • Knowledgeable professors: Most of the professors are great PT’s - in practice (not at teaching).
  • Excellent leadership: The program head is an incredible leader and puts in a great amount of time and effort.
The bad:
  • Depleted confidence: I came into this program with confidence in all areas of my life; I am leaving with much less. I came in in good shape physically, emotionally, and spiritually. The stress of this program has hurt all of them to a point.
  • Massive anxiety: The program fails students who do not deserve it, and this causes extreme anxiety among the cohort, especially during practical’s, leading to underperformance. The class is forced to learn and perform in fear, which the literature states does not work as well as learning and performing in a positive environment. Anxiety depletes health of all types and causes disease. Average number of students failed per class is 5 (out of 30), the most recent class has had 6 failed already and they are still in their first year. This is a 16-20%+ chance you will fail, even if you are trying your hardest.
  • Problem-based learning: HUGE problem. This style of learning is the blind leading the blind. It is extremely common for the class to have many questions left unanswered, or fundamentals left unsaid because the teaching is done by a student who has no experience or knows what is relevant. The class then looks terrible during testing / in real life because oftentimes a large part of the picture is missing. Problem-based learning can work if the professors put in the time and effort to help /lead the students in the right direction, which, during my time there, was only experienced with one professor, the head of the program. Other professors use this style of learning as an excuse not to prepare anything for the students/put in effort.
  • Lack of communication: Oftentimes, the skills that will be required on the practical’s or knowledge that will be required for the oral/written exam are never communicated to the students, leading to, again, more anxiety.
  • Unfair/biased grading: Several students have been failed who did not deserve it, while others are able to skate by due to sheer luck (extreme differences in grading difficulty among faculty). Other students were passed who were FAR behind those who failed knowledge-wise but had social connections with faculty members. It should also be stated that these students who are failed and forced to repeat a year (~+$30,000 in students loans as well) are then socially isolated from study groups because no one wants to study with someone who previously failed for fear of failure themselves.
I have spoken to multiple students at other DPT programs, and they enjoy their programs. I highly advise against this program. It's less expensive, but you get what you pay for. I believe there is a better way to challenge students while ensuring that they don’t live in such an unhealthy, anxious state for 3 years of their lives. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user